Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Onyx XT, 04 Mazda Speed Miata 07 Suburban.
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 2.5 XT. For some time I have felt that the car was a little rough on acceleration, especially noticeable at lower speeds. Originally I thought it felt like an engine missing occasionally but I realize that it is speed related, not RPM related.

I just pulled a light (900 lb gross) trailer from Missouri back to Oregon, and feel that the roughness is more noticeable pulling the trailer. I don't hear any noise related to this, and it does not change when turning the steering wheel. When accelerating or going up a significant grade, I feel the roughness, and sometimes also vibration in the steering wheel.

My first thought is that one of the front inboard CV joints is slowly failing, but I'm looking for conformation, or alternate ideas. Also any suggestions for further diagnosis.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,665 Posts
You might try checking hub temps with an infrared thermometer after a drive, compare sides for a hotter hub or rotor. recently though, I read of someone that had a bad bearing and the temps were OK so - may not be definitive. Maybe get the wheels up and start with studying each corner just turning wheels by hand. Use a mechanics stethoscope if necessary and listen to bearings and axle joints and even diffs while rotating wheels.

any odd smells?

Maybe inspect the u-joints/carrier bearing.

I guess you don't feel it when coasting?

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
it only happens during acceleration?

inner cv axle joint
or
driveshaft carrier bearing

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
Have you inspected the CV boots? My 05 passenger inner is torn. However, no symptoms, so I assume the joint is fine and I'll reboot soon.

Tom

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you inspected the CV boots? My 05 passenger inner is torn. However, no symptoms, so I assume the joint is fine and I'll reboot soon.

Tom
I just checked and found the Right Inboard boot is bad. Since I'm feeling some vibration, I will probably have the Right Axle replaced as well.

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Makes sense. Look at the thread about vibration after replacement here:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...-idle-after-replacing-front-axles-solved.html

Generally, replace with rebuilt subaru unless money is really tight, and you want the inexpensive axle, but you are rolling the dice with vibration after replacement.
Because the vibration is slight, my mechanic, who is a good friend and works for a dealership, recommends swapping the right and left axles. That way the wear surfaces are reversed. He mentioned that replacing the axle was a crap shoot, since even though the boot is bad, it might not be the axle causing the vibration. Oddly enough, Subie does not have rebuilt axles for the XT. I have to get new ones. I think I will try the axle side to side swap since it is fairly cheap and will probably get the job done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts