Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just bought my parents old Subaru Outback 2000 4cyl manual. Having never driven manual before I was very hard on the clutch and stalled multiple times. Dad drove the car back home and we noticed a vibrating noise coming from the front of the car when decelerating(sounded like it was coming from near the gearstick). The noise seems to stop when the clutch is pressed in. Any ideas what might be causing this?

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
Hi, I just bought my parents old Subaru Outback 2000 4cyl manual. Having never driven manual before I was very hard on the clutch and stalled multiple times. Dad drove the car back home and we noticed a vibrating noise coming from the front of the car when decelerating(sounded like it was coming from near the gearstick). The noise seems to stop when the clutch is pressed in. Any ideas what might be causing this?
There's a clear causal connection between the transmission being engaged with the engine and the vibrating noise: what you should identify is if it is only tied to engine RPM (check this by revving engine high enough and sustaining it for a few seconds) or if it requires the transmission being engaged.

If it does not require being in gear, it's likely one or more motor mounts: a good check there is to rev the engine while in neutral with emergency rake on with hood up and see if the engine rotates when you do it.

Now, if it requires being in gear, see if there's an RPM connection, as that may be useful.

I've not heard of this, but if you've been rough on the clutch, for all I know, you've taken a divet out of the clutch (if the clutch is as old as the car, it may be brittle) or you may have chipped some teeth off of gears, or damaged something else. Torquing things hard by dropping into gear and stalling with sufficient power can cause all sorts of things to break, including stuff in transaxles: you may have something very expensive to fix. Until you isolate if it's the engine or the transmission or some combination, it's hard to guess more accurately.

Note: I'm not an auto mechanic for a living, but I've had some interesting experiences personally and otherwise to base things off of.

Anyone else able to add to this, or rule out one or more of these things?

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition H6-3.0
72 Posts
I had a banging/clunking sound that sounded like it was coming from either the steering column or gear selector when braking from highway speeds in my 2002 OBW that also progressively caused the steering wheel to shake the longer I let it go. Ended up being a sticking brake caliper that was causing my rotors to warp. (I had the rotors/pads replaced a year earlier so I wasn't sure that was it, but it was due to the faulty caliper.

A&A the Shop here in Anchorage, AK (awesome independant Subaru shop) changed the front calipers and all rotors and pads and now it's smooth sailing. I went with them due to their 3 year/36k mile warranty on all parts and labor because I spent $700 last year and $1000 last week and I want this to be the end of it.

·
Registered
06 3.0R JDM facelift SI Drive-shift paddles. 87 Brumby EA81 (Brat) 4MT D/R
613 Posts
Agree 1st thing to check engine / transmission mounts , brakes , transmission bearing, inboard (inner CV) joints, clutch release / throw out bearing perhaps?

PS
If the vibration had just developed after you started driving it,
perhaps a clutch component or transmission bearing has been damaged?

·
Registered
2005 subaru outback, 2.5l 4 speed automatic sport model.
12 Posts
My 2005 subaru outback shakes on deceleration when im just rolling at speeds of 80kms and above, i have had new tires put on the back, balanced and wheel alignment, a new tailshaft put in. I don’t know what it could be. I have replaced my front cvs on both sides. Please help?

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 2005 subaru outback shakes and vibrates when decelerating 80kms and above, not when i brake it’s when i only roll.i have replaced my front cvs, my tailshaft, two new back tires and balanced and wheel alignment done. I don’t know what it could be and three mechanics have looked at it. I am replacing my o2 sensor. Please help?

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,621 Posts
where do you feel vibration? in the steering wheel? seat-of-the-pants?

when the problem is happening, does it change if you touch the brakes?

·
Registered
12 Posts
My drivers seat vibrates and the steering wheel does too. And i feel the shake isn’t as bad when i brake.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,200 Posts
My 2005 subaru outback shakes on deceleration when im just rolling at speeds of 80kms and above, i have had new tires put on the back, balanced and wheel alignment, a new tailshaft put in. I don’t know what it could be. I have replaced my front cvs on both sides. Please help?
all tires on a subaru have to be the same.

same diameter, or you get toque bind. and new tires mixed with half used tires are enough of a diameter difference to do that.

and it is preferred to have the same tread / type. if you got sets of 2 and 2,...sell them used to the front wheel drive people.

____

alternatively: front "A" arms get worn with time / miles (so like 200,000 kms, = 125,000 miles)
on the gas you may stretch them out so the car is going along OK, off the gas they can return to where they are worn and the car is out of alignment producing the shaking.

2005-2009 US / Canada spec years are also very hard to keep in alignment. (lots of threads with fixes in the 2005-2009 section)

and moving thread as we are now mixing generations,

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,621 Posts
pet - you may need a pro to test drive your car. In a new thread, ask for a shop recommendation near your city - someone may be able to point you to a good independent mechanic with Subaru experience.

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,179 Posts
Does it still vibrate when coasting or using the brake while the clutch is disengaged (or the trans is in neutral)? If no, then I might suspect that one of your hard clutch engagements damaged the springs in the friction plate.

·
Registered
12 Posts
All four of my wheels are the same and same tred. I don’t know what it is! I have had three mechanics look at it and can’t think of what it is.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My car is automatic, and it vibrates when im coasting. Three mechanics have looked at it and can’t pin point what it is.

·
Registered
'17 3.6R Touring Brillant Brown Pearl
2,424 Posts
Better check the tire circumferences. All four tires need to be within 1/4"

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/90-tire-discussion/30110-tire-circumference-spec-confirmed-subaru-techtips.html

·
Registered
12 Posts
That circumference is for American subarus! Im in Australia

1 - 20 of 28 Posts