Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The issue I am having with my 1999 Outback (2.5 liter engine with 120,000+ miles) is this: vibrations felt and heard while the car is in gear (an automatic transmission) and at a stop. Also a vibration is felt and heard while the car is Park or Neutral and the rpm’s are up to around 1,200 or so. Up until last year this car has run well and never let me down. Last year (3) timing belt pulleys and (1) timing belt adjuster had to be replaced and shortly thereafter my right-side CV shaft was replaced. Since then I have had the car into (3) different repair shops for a diagnosis and evaluation with no positive solution. Shop (#1) replaced the CV half shaft twice first because of a torn boot and the second time because it could be defective and be causing the vibration issue…apparently not. Shop (#2) replaced the transmissions torque converter because of the vibration issue…didn’t help. The transmission and drive train were looked at and everything out fine. Shop (#3), an independent Suburu shop checked the motor and transmission mounts (they were fine) and replaced the harmonic balancer (didn’t help) and told me the vibration issues were engine related (internally) but that’s all they mentioned. Has anyone experienced these vibration issues on an automatic Subie before in gear and at a stop and from Park or Neutral idling up to 1,200 rpm’s or so? I would like to find the root cause for this troubling problem. Thank you all for any suggestions.
MySubie ‘99

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,324 Posts
is this something you hear? or only feel?

does it 'seem' to be the same vibration in each condition? (in gear at idle vs neutral at higher RPM)

Where did the replacement axle(s) come from?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vibration issue

Yes, the vibration is felt (more so through the brake pedal and while seated) and also can be heard.While bringing the rpm's up to 1,200 or so (in Park or Neutral) the vibration is very noticable. Other than the vibration issues is are no other drivability problems with it. The right-side CV axle was replaced with a brand new axle (not a reman.) at "Brakes Plus". This problem has everyone stumped....

·
Registered
17,324 Posts
I suppose the stub axle has been inspected to confirm it's fully seated into the diff?

Is the vibration more on one side vs the other?

I dunno what kinda axles Just Brakes sells - but I suppose even a new one could be poorly built.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vibration issue

Actually, the vibrations felt and heard are not coming from either one side or the other just overall there, whether under a load (in gear- D,3,2,1) and at a stop or once in Park / Neutral and just bringing the rpm's up a bit both driver and passenger can feel the harshness and hear it also. During these vibrations even the dash is slightly noisy but if I put it in Neutral (while stopped) the vibrations are lessened although still there. Has anyone else had this happen to their Sube?

·
Registered
17,324 Posts
can you describe the sound? knock, tick, buzz, whistle, whoosh, etc. Does the sound's frequency change with rpm or just the 'intensity'/loudness ?

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
it's the axles.

i paid merchants tire to install a NEW axle on my son's 95 lego and i check the boxed that returned the old parts to me. after i picked up the car and paid, i walked into the shop and pick up the old axle and went home.

about 30 minutes later a got a call asking for the axle back. they wanted it for the ''core return''. so i paid for NEW, they installed re-man, and then didn't notice the ''old parts to me'' on the paper work. what a bunch of idiots.

it's the axles.

buy and install used subaru axles from a salvage yard and re-boot before the install, or buy the best quality axles you can find.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is no noise or sounds what so ever with this issue just a vibration sensation that's very noticable from inside the car.

Thank you, canubaru for this valuable info...I will be following up with your advice regarding the CV axle(s) and using only Subaru parts.

·
Registered
17,324 Posts
The issue I am having with my 1999 Outback (2.5 liter engine with 120,000+ miles) is this: vibrations felt and heard while the car is in gear (an automatic transmission)

There is no noise or sounds what so ever with this issue just a vibration sensation that's very noticable from inside the car.
?????????????

anyway - if you can't get axles as suggested, buy EMPI, or from Raxles.com .

I put an EMPI axle on my wife's Outback - zero problems so far. I think i bought it from RockAuto.com or possibly through Amazon. EMPI are new with proper case hardening.

·
Registered
2002 Outback VDC H6
431 Posts
On the non-mechanical side (which is far more important), you can get 100 ft roll of RattleTrap on Amazon for about 150. That **** will make your car SILENT inside

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All, I have a follow up question regarding my vibration issues. That vibration (roughness) I am feeling when the automatic transmission is out of gear (Park or Neutral) and bringing the rpm’s up to around 1,200 or so is that also CV axle related or something else? Once it passes that rpm point it seems okay and I don’t detect any other drivability problems. Thanks again for your time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts