Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to troubleshoot a problem with my son's 2006 LL bean edtion 3L outback.
when he turns the ignition swicth to the ""on"" position it will make a noise like a small vacuum pump or buzz noise for
about 5-7 seconds . It appears to be up in the dashboard somewhere or possibly by the HVAC box on the transmission hump.
If I remove the AC 15 amp fuse the noise is not present. I don't have any parts breakouts that are that accurate. With power removed,
having pulled the AC fuse, Is there a componet that I should try to zero in on?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jim

·
Premium Member
2006 Outback Sedan LLBean
625 Posts
The blend door maybe?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
838 Posts
Mode door actuator. (DEF, Face, Floor, Mix)
The system returns to a default setting when power is shut off. The printed copper electrical contacts on a disc inside the actuator prematurely wear away due to it always cycling to a return state at key off.
The blend actuator does not have an "at rest" state that it returns to so it isn't as affected by premature wear.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
The system returns to a default setting when power is shut off. The printed electrical contacts inside the actuator prematurely wear away due to it always cycling to a return state at key off.
The blend actuator does not have an "at rest" state that it returns to so it isn't as affected by premature wear.
There ya go. That makes sense if it's always returning to a default mode upon shut-down. I guess I have that to look forward to in the near future!

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,119 Posts
The system returns to a default setting when power is shut off. The printed electrical contacts inside the actuator prematurely wear away due to it always cycling to a return state at key off.
What's the fix then?

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
597 Posts
I posted a youtube link back several months ago but you can google it and there's a good tutorial on how to go about repairing or replacing it. You might get lucky and disassemble it, clean it up and reassemble and it will work. Be certain to document the position of the arm or you'll be sorry! Also, try running it to all the different locations before you put the dash panels back. If the circular circuit board contacts are still in good condition, you should be able to reuse.

If you can't find it, I can probably hunt it up.

Passenger side isn't too bad, driver side is another story - you pretty much have to remove the dash to get to it!

Here you go:

there will be other associated videos that show more......

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,119 Posts
@Evil Soob

I have seen this. As well as others that talk about replacing the unit, or parts of it.
@stevenva made it sound like it was an electrical contact issue.

What I find odd, it both of my cars do this. The 2006 did at 65K miles when I bought it. They ONLY do this in the season when the air conditioning is used. I don't leave mine on auto. In Colorado, there is very little time when the heat is not being used for a near season, or the A/C. Vent, at 65*f (lowest setting is useless above 60*f.

Duriing the "heat" months, this "cycling does NOT occur. For me it's just a late Spring-Summer-Early fall issue. Which is Odd.

·
Registered
597 Posts
@Evil Soob

I have seen this. As well as others that talk about replacing the unit, or parts of it.

@stevenva made it sound like it was an electrical contact issue.

What I find odd, it both of my cars do this. The 2006 did at 65K miles when I bought it. They ONLY do this in the season when the air conditioning is used. I don't leave mine on auto. In Colorado, there is very little time when the heat is not being used for a near season, or the A/C. Vent, at 65*f (lowest setting is useless above 60*f.

Duriing the "heat" months, this "cycling does NOT occur. For me it's just a late Spring-Summer-Early fall issue. Which is Odd.
Hey Chris,

I wish I'd have made a video of the inside of the actuator! I cleaned with electrical contact spray then dielectric grease and reassembled.

I hadn't even thought about when (season-wise) it happened but now that you mention it, I'll take note. I have noticed in just the last couple of weeks mine is trying to find where to park again....oh well, the repair bought me a few months could be longer, time flies anymore!

It seems if I switch from floor to defrost then off/on sometimes it stops.

I plan to purchase all 3 or 4 and take a couple of days to remove the dash and replace all of them. I understand the driver's side is a real pain!

I'm hoping to find a gen 3 that was wrecked early on and get them at salvage cost rather than through the dealer! I think they were in the $100 range each?

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
There are exactly two of them? One on DS one on PS. Or are there more than 2?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
597 Posts
I think I remember reading a FSM describing how to put the system into diagnostics mode to make all the switches and servos run through their paces. Not sure about what years though? That could help you to narrow down which one is your problem before tearing into the job.

The one that was most worn on my car was the top passenger side by where your left leg would be when seated. There's a top and bottom one on that side and another behind the glove box.

·
Registered
2006 Outback
5 Posts
Hi everyone
I've noticed the actuator noise in my subaru. I've begun pulling the glovebox out to track it down. A quick question. Do all subaru outbacks H6 models have a actuator on the driver side and passenger side? I can see the 3 actuators just behind the glove box.

I can't see one on the driver side in the workshop manual. I ask this, because as it has turned cold here, I turned the heat on and found that the passenger side was warm but the driver side was cold. I've read this problem could be a clogged heater core that needs back flushing or a driver side actuator. My car is a H6 2006, I'm not sure how to tell which model it is. It has velour seats and doesn't have the sun roof, also it doesn't appear to have dual climate control, not the ducks guts version. So I suspect that it doesn't have a driver side actuator as I was under the impression that was part of a dual climate control system.
I haven't removed the whole dash yet. So I'm after some guidance on how to tell if the core just needs flushing before pulling the dash out.
thanks to anyone that can help

·
Registered
2006 Outback
5 Posts
it doesn't appear to have dual climate control

Well I'm embarrassed , I just discovered the second temperature control knob on the AC( I had been using the passenger side knob to set the temperature). So the car does have dual climate control. And quite possibly the 'fault' was just a case of the driver side being set to cool. Ah well, I still need to fix the noisy actuator, so not a total waste of time dismantling the interior.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts