Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I have a 2007 2.5 non turbo/automatic Outback Wagon. I have owned it now for 18 months. I do a lot of freeway driving consisting of trips of 300 miles round trip. While running at 65-70 mph, I have a vibration or a hum that I had originally thought was a tire with a bad belt. I had the tires replaced 6 months or so with some Bridgestones and that did not affect the hum(or harmonic) whatsoever! This almost seems to sound or feel like a component that has a bearing that is rough like 7/8 of the way around! It does not get any worse or change on different road surfaces. Vehicle has 91,000 miles on it, and runs/drives excellently. Any input is appreciated. Thanks! Dale

·
Registered
16,281 Posts
If it's somewhat like a low "growl", and without any physical sense of a vibration (shaking) in the car or steering, it could be a wheel bearing. Not unusual on these cars. There probably won't be any visible movement of the bearing hub when checked with the wheel raised, but rotating a raised wheel by hand will sometimes reveal an unusual noise at the hub or connecting suspension parts. (A mechanic's stethoscope is a good way to detect odd sounds, especially by comparing to other wheels.)

Another possibility is a loose heat shield underneath the car that is vibrating at the higher speeds.

Or, perhaps an exhaust leak.

Not much to go on with the description, but perhaps these ideas will provide some leads. If you can, post a more detailed description of the symptom.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
plain OM
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing