Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
06 BAJA EJ251
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been having timing issues as it is, but here is a short video of it running, head gaskets were done 15k ago and I just did the timing belt this week. You cannot hear it at idle but around 2k it shows up. What do you all think. I don't think its slap because it does it even after warm.

engine running warm

engine running cold

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,257 Posts
piston slap with a side of timing belt tensioner...

·
Registered
06 BAJA EJ251
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Valves, tensioner, wrist pive an all possibilities.

Do you have a UEL header on that engine?
stock headers. The dealership did head gaskets right before i bought it you would think they would at least check valves.

·
Registered
06 BAJA EJ251
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dealer techs do minimum and get paid like they did everything.

What do you mean by "bled the tensioner"?
put it upright in a c clamp and decompressed and compressed 3 times in more than three minutes. This is supposed to remove all the air so it will not leak oil.

·
Registered
06 BAJA EJ251
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is a video of the car when cold. I cannot hear the knock as much so i don't think its rod knock

·
Registered
06 BAJA EJ251
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
not rod knock, inspect tensioner
took the stethoscope out and pretty sure its something in the clutch. the sound is pretty much gone with the clutch in. I was told that the clutch had been replaced and its probably one of the stiffest clutches i have felt (aside from a mustang gt or cobra) I think its either the throw out bearing or more likely a bolt has backed out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts