Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been wanting to put some sort of protection on my roof and everyone around here is charging an arm and a leg to do vinyl wrap so I'm going to attempt it myself. I'm wanting to protect my roof from anything I put on the rack or the crap I have coming off the trees where I live.

Has anyone done this before? I want to go to the seam and was wondering if I need to remove the rubbery outside of the roof rack (if it's even possible) to allow myself to get it nice and flush.

So what do y'all think? How should I go about this?
. Thanks for looking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,808 Posts
My 1972 Mercury Montego MX Brougham 2 dr had a Vinyl Roof. They were all the rage in the late '60's - early '70's. Are they making a comeback?

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,312 Posts
So I've been wanting to put some sort of protection on my roof and everyone around here is charging an arm and a leg to do vinyl wrap so I'm going to attempt it myself. I'm wanting to protect my roof from anything I put on the rack or the crap I have coming off the trees where I live.

Has anyone done this before? I want to go to the seam and was wondering if I need to remove the rubbery outside of the roof rack (if it's even possible) to allow myself to get it nice and flush.

. Thanks for looking!

As wrapping goes, it should be one of the easier surfaces to do. Flat and mostly out of direct eyesight. If materials are not terribly expensive, try it. Make sure you get quality materials as I heard that cheap wrap materials can damage paint when removed.

I think you need to remove the headliner to remove any part of the roof rack.

Another thought is multiple layers of plastidip. Research that idea. :)

Reactions: Subiesweatt

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As wrapping goes, it should be one of the easier surfaces to do. Flat and mostly out of direct eyesight. If materials are not terribly expensive, try it. Make sure you get quality materials as I heard that cheap wrap materials can damage paint when removed.

I think you need to remove the headliner to remove any part of the roof rack.

Appreciate the encouragement! Yeah I have plastidipped a previous car and told myself never again so I think I can get 3m vinyl for relatively cheap so I may try it and just tuck the rest under the roof rack

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,144 Posts
"Friends Don't Let Friends use Dip. On their car, or in their lip."

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
597 Posts

. Thanks for looking!

So, last year I decided my boat was fading and I wanted to do something about it. Painting with fresh gelcoat wasn't an option due to the cost.

I did a lot of research on vinyl wraps and decided to give it a try.

I wasn't too costly, I think I did my entire boat (the red part, it's mostly white) for around $200.

I highly recommend that you use the marine grade vinyl. I holds up to heat and atmospheric pollutants.

You'll need someone to help you because placement is critical and you can't hold it and work out all the air pockets at the same time!

You also need an installation kit.

Get inside out of the sun and where nothing can drift onto the mating surface.

Wipe down with acetone. Clean, clean, clean!

The slightest speck of anything will show through! A matte finish may be more forgiving!

Don't overstretch the vinyl because it will "rebound" after the surface gets hot.

3M is a great product! Stay away from no name companies because you don't want to have to redo!

Watch a bunch of the videos on youtube so you have a good idea of how to apply the material.

This material will scratch and it will tear if you stretch it too much you'll get light spots or even tears.

If I can be of assistance, I'll be glad to offer any insight I have learned during the process.

I highly recommend that you do some trial runs on another surface to get a feel for what you are going to be working with - you don't want to learn on your car, it can get frustrating and costly!

Jack

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
597 Posts
Here's a shot of how my vinyl project turned out.

You'll want to get the cutting thread, it's like pinstriping but you pull this thread that cuts the edges really clean.

I didn't remove the bilge discharge, I just worked the vinyl around the flange and used an exacto knife to trim it out. I would recommend you do that around your roof rack rather than all the work to remove it.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts