Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Limited 2.5 Moonroof,Venetian Red
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an employee discount through Subaru. It offers VIP pricing for 2013 Outbacks.Suppose to be at dealer cost,has anyone out there used this before. Is it a better deal than me trying to haggle prices.I plan on getting one in Jan. 2013

·
Registered
97 Outback 230000
1,138 Posts
Lucky you! Color me jealous. When I try to haggle they suggest I buy a basic model. I just drove the length of California through fog. I am not buying a car without fog lights. Everyone was following me except one car passed, a Tribeca.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
VIP pricing is 2% below invoice. Lots of discussion about it on the forum if you try a search. (tip: you can often find more on the forum by doing a google search than you can by using the internal search). I have always been able to get 2% below invoice (sometimes better) without using my VIP pricing so I never really used it.
Here is one link: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums.../28469-whats-better-deal-costco-imba-vip.html
You can probably do better by just reading the what did you pay thread here: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums.../46200-what-did-you-pay-your-2012-2013-a.html

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5
54 Posts
I used it from the ACA when I bought my 2011. It was very cut and dry. No haggling, just 2% below invoice off the total invoice.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,680 Posts
I have an employee discount through Subaru. It offers VIP pricing for 2013 Outbacks.Suppose to be at dealer cost,has anyone out there used this before. Is it a better deal than me trying to haggle prices.I plan on getting one in Jan. 2013
...hmmm...nope. I guess the rest of us plebs don't get those discount deals. We are the ones that they actually make some $$$ from...lol :29:

·
Registered
107 Posts
You can always beat 2% below invoice which is about VIP pricing. VIP looks good, but I think actually benefits the dealer in that they do not have to go lower than 2% under invoice. Generally, you can buy for about $1000-1100 under invoice. I did this in July without any problem on a CVT Premium OB.

·
Registered
2011 Prem. 2.5i, 1999 Outback
258 Posts
I used VIP because I only had to contact the dealers internet manager, got the out the door price for what I wanted , the car was ready for my test drive when I got to the dealers location.
Test drove the car and wrote a check. All this took about one hour and I never had to talk to any salesman. One one screwed with me and that is worth a lot to me.

·
Registered
2014 Outback Limited - 2.5 CVT - Graphite ---- 'Rehomed' 2012 Outback Limited - 2.5 CVT - Deep Indigo Pearl - Could be a Black Bumper Masonite car ---- "RIP" 2010 Outback - 2.5 CVT - Silver - So's m
323 Posts
I used VIP ---- I never had to talk to any salesman. One one screwed with me and that is worth a lot to me.
I've bought two using VIP. Don't think I was 'screwed'. Will do it again.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium M6, 19mm,
61 Posts
I tried to beat the 2%, but at the moment there are no dealer incentives going on. And it did not leave the dealers with enough profit.

In addition to the 2%, the discount includes "Any zone/regional dealer or customer incentives or dealer cash"

After the VIP sale the dealer gets a special payment from SOA. The dealer is not doing the VIP sale out of the goodness of their heart.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
vip program was a big reason to buy a subaru. buying process was very hassle free and for us it would not be worth the hassle to try haggling a better price, which might be a little lower, but just a little.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I tried to beat the 2%, but at the moment there are no dealer incentives going on. And it did not leave the dealers with enough profit.

In addition to the 2%, the discount includes "Any zone/regional dealer or customer incentives or dealer cash"

After the VIP sale the dealer gets a special payment from SOA. The dealer is not doing the VIP sale out of the goodness of their heart.
How do you find out if there are dealer incentives? Do you know when they are usually going on?

·
Registered
2013 Outback, 2.5i Limited w/ Moonroof
1,541 Posts
I also am about to buy a 2013 Outback, using the Subaru supplier employee VIP discount. And after doing a fair amount of homework on this website, I am very concerned that the VIP discount does not necessarily give me the best price. I don't want to leave any cash on the table.

Just yesterday I spent time on the Subaru of America VIP website to request my certificate, and read the details. For a supplier employee at least, the price is invoice, plus any dealer incentives that Subaru is giving the dealer, and any customer incentives.

When I compare the quotes I have been given by the dealer to the deals shown on another discussion here, my deal is not near as good. I'm being quoted $31,176 on an MSRP of 33,851 for a savings of $2675. Others on this site are saying they have gotten more in the range of $4000 savings.

How do I know what any dealer incentives are being offered at this time? And is the VIP really the best price I should be able to expect? Any personal experience of others, who have gotten prices both ways?

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i
112 Posts
You should target 4-5% under invoice. If you check truecar.com you can get a better idea of average price paid in your targeted area. I'd also check nearby areas to see if the average is cheaper. (For example, Detroit area is appx 6% off MSRP , Cincinnati is around 9% off, and Chicago is around 12%). I would not hesitate to go outside your local region - you can use the quotes for leverage if you want to purchase locally.

·
Registered
2012 OB Limited, 3.6, AT
126 Posts
I do the same thing every time:

I put down what I want on a word document, using the internet I determine a fair price and put that in my phone. If they try to hose me with the offer at the Stealership I WALK (NOT NEGOTIATE!!).

Subaru has come in under my price 3 times now, no hassle, no drama and no games.

Vince

1 - 14 of 14 Posts