Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Wife's Car - 2005 LL Bean Outback, Daughter's car - 2005 Impreza RS Sedan, Son's Car 2011 Outback 2.5 Premium
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

its been quite a while since I been on the forum.

Thinking about replacing the wife's ****** as it is up to about 215k miles.

So what is the concensus these days on the VIP program (National Ski Patrol) or the Costco Auto Purchase Program?

Other thoughts?

Thanks

Later,

Bob

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just emailed several dealers and was able to get 5.4% off invoice (6.7% with my ambassador coupon) on my 2018 2.5 touring... this is not the norm as most pricing came in around 1% off invoice. If I wanted it easy I'd likely go the VIP route. Granted the email RFP route only took me 3 hours.

Edit: with the dealer fee I received 3.7% off invoice and or 5.1% with the coupon.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5 Limited CVT
26 Posts
@skahead I have wondered the same thing. VIP or best deal plus ambassador coupon. I am not sure I can get that type of deal around NC (I'm in Greensboro). What dealership did you get your best deal from?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'll tell you the dealer that gave me the price I used to price match. Farrish Subaru in Fairfax VA. I would have pulled the trigger there as well as they were very responsive; however, I wanted to give the dealer that gave me a test drive one more shot. Once I pick the car up I'll share that info.

For your area Southern and Johnson Subaru came in around 2% above invoice. Greenville Subaru came in at invoice as did Colonial in Richmond VA.

Of the 23 dealers I reviewed, 4 were 2% below, 5 were at invoice, and the balance were above invoice.

·
Registered
'18 Accord EX-L 2.0t; Wife's car: '16 3.6r Ltd. w/ Eyesight
855 Posts
I test drove a '17 2.5 Legacy today while the dealer was working on my wife's OB ('16 3.6r). They said they're pushing to get rid of the 17s before the 18s come in... but they're no longer accepting the VIP program! In fact, both the sales woman and her manager acted like they've never heard of it even though we used it there 22 months ago. The best they offered was 1% below invoice, although I sensed that if I wanted to close the deal today for 2% below invoice, they would have made it happen.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I test drove a '17 2.5 Legacy today while the dealer was working on my wife's OB ('16 3.6r). They said they're pushing to get rid of the 17s before the 18s come in... but they're no longer accepting the VIP program! In fact, both the sales woman and her manager acted like they've never heard of it even though we used it there 22 months ago. The best they offered was 1% below invoice, although I sensed that if I wanted to close the deal today for 2% below invoice, they would have made it happen.
For 17's?? That is an armed robbery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 2.5i PZEV Tungsten Outback Limited W/Moonroof, Accessory Value Package A.
114 Posts
You may be able to do better with Costco than what you could otherwise do yourself. In my case it was over 1K saving over the best I could do on my own. I am pretty good at working the deal at the dealers so I was surprised to get such a reduced price versus my own negotiations.
It cannot hurt to try and see what they offer the car at, there is no obligation to buy if its not the lowest possible price that you would want to pay.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2021 Outback Limited 2.5L - 🍦The Ice Cream Man🍦
5,659 Posts
If the dealership is no longer eligible for the VIP program I would surmise that they have done something to get on Subaru Corporate's radar, in a bad way.

You may be able to do better with Costco...
Did you not see the posts about Costco NOT offering anything related to pricing?

Costco DOES NOT have any discount program, follow link: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...18-outback-pricing-options-6.html#post4923225

Use VIP program if you're able to obtain a form.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Kevin yes I did! It's about semantics that your worrying about. I am sharing my experience with going through the process of buying a car by using Costco service. It's not Costco that is giving you a discount, it is the the dealer giving you hopefully the best possible price. It up to the buyer to determine if that is the best they can do, in my experience on our second 2014 it was.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,292 Posts
Kevin yes I did! It's about semantics that your worrying about.
No, it's not semantics. It's about Costco giving people the false perception (since they use True Car anyway, just like USAA and nearly every other service that talks about vehicle discounts) that their membership with Costco WILL get them a better deal on a new car than they are able to get themselves.

Putting an ad out there that says new car buyers save an average of $3,700 on a new car gives the PERCEPTION to the customer that they'll save that much on EVERY new car. The super fine print that says the dealership is who sets the final price is never seen, and when we point that out, it makes US look like the bad guy. We're not the ones who gave the customer false expectations - True Car and Costco have done that.

Keep in mind that while we have never been a True Car dealership, we used to work with customers who'd come in and say they got a price from True Car, because they used to have realistic pricing. Now they're showing stupid pricing out there.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2.5i
338 Posts
Are you sure Costco is using Truecar? Sams is, and I'd be surprised if Sams & Costco used the same service provider for nearly anything.

·
Registered
114 Posts
What is your peoples problem? You don't like it cause your dealers and don't make as much money on a sale when people buy using the service? I know one of you stop using the program, but whatever. I gave my one experience nothing more nothing less, I also said give it a try if you do better than fine, if you can't don't use. There will always be stuff like this out there, if you don't like it don't use it. In the end it ups to the consumer to figure out what they want to do, go ahead and preach why you hate the program, but don't discount the buyer in some cases may not be able to do better. Just saying.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,697 Posts
If the dealership is no longer eligible for the VIP program I would surmise that they have done something to get on Subaru Corporate's radar, in a bad way.
It was my understanding that dealers aren't required to participate in the VIP program, and some of them choose not to.

From VIP Programs Dealer Introduction and Guidelines (8/2006):
While dealer participation is strictly voluntary, dealers who elect to participate are required to adhere to
Executive VIP/VIP Partners/VIP Program pricing parameters.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium PZEV w/Eyesight in Ice Silver
368 Posts
Costco (years ago) used to negotiate with some dealers for a percentage above or below invoice. That was excellent for Costco customers who don't like to negotiate. Now, Costco is simply a dealer referral service. Some dealers pay Costco to be included on the list of dealers Costco provides to their customers. That's it. The customer can contact those dealers and start negotiating. Costco is trading on their reputation and providing their customers with little if any value for this "service".
VIP is sponsored by the manufacturer, and is the best many customers will be able to do - especially in markets like So. California.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6 Touring Wilderness Green
31 Posts
I'm curious why you say "especially in markets like So. California." Why is the Subaru market more competitive in SoCal?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I used the VIP program on a 2018 2.5i Limited (see my post in the 2018 thread for specific price breakdown). While I might have been able to get better then 2% below invoice by shopping around, the "no-haggle" aspect of the VIP Program was enough to seal the deal even if I missed out on a couple hundred bucks.

On the plus side, I also found the VIP Program -extremely- easy to sign up for/use. It was seamless both through the ASPCA and my dealership. 10/10 would do again.

·
5,659 Posts
Are you sure Costco is using Truecar? Sams is, and I'd be surprised if Sams & Costco used the same service provider for nearly anything.
It doesn't matter what services cooperate with who, what matters is that they exist to create the public perception that through them you will receive something that you might otherwise not be able to receive without them.

The only price they determine is that for referrals to dealerships.

What is your peoples problem? You don't like it cause your dealers and don't make as much money on a sale when people buy using the service? I know one of you stop using the program, but whatever. I gave my one experience nothing more nothing less, I also said give it a try if you do better than fine, if you can't don't use. There will always be stuff like this out there, if you don't like it don't use it. In the end it ups to the consumer to figure out what they want to do, go ahead and preach why you hate the program, but don't discount the buyer in some cases may not be able to do better. Just saying.
Here's my problem, it is ultimately false advertising and fraudulent. Dealerships look like the bad guys for calling it what it is when they don't participate in this racket. A customer can perceive this as a benefit but truly it is nothing more than another way for TrueCar, Costco, USAA, etc to make an extra buck off of you from participating dealerships that are willing to pay them for referrals.

It is all a marketing gimmick and I have seen too many people buy into as if it were legit. That's my problem in a nutshell.

·
5,659 Posts
Fraudulent? So can get a better deal just going straight to the dealer?
How about getting a TrueCar price guarantee certificate and bringing it to a "TrueCar certified dealership" (you know, the dealerships that pay TrueCar to obtain the "certified" title) only to have said "certified TrueCar dealership" refuse to honor said certificate.

Go read the online reviews of this kind of smoke and mirrors bait and switch garbage, you'll find THOUSANDS of people who would substantiate what I have shared.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.