Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just received the car back yesterday after having a Viper 4103V one-way remote start/keyless entry in our 2012 4 cylinder. Worked yesterday but the remote start did not work this morning. The car still started with the key and everything seemed to operate fine except the remote start feature. We will be taking the car back to the installer, but I would appreciate any incite from the forum. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
The installer did not a key. They said they could install it without a key by using an extra Flashlogic interface, I believe. Is it possible that a code was dropped off and a key is necessary? Another possibility is a bad remote, but that will be easy enough to determine when the car gets home tonight. Any opinions will be appreciated.<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
IMO, the only remote start you should install in an Outback is the one from Subaru.
Aftermarket electronic accessories are just asking for trouble.The OB is loaded with sensitive body control modules that don't tolerate load changes.
Just my opinion mind you. Others with a higher pay grade on the forum, share your knowledge.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
The 4103v is an excellent remote start. The installer is correct that a key is no longer needed. I am sure your problem will be simple quick fix for your installer. The 4103v has a pre-wired bypass toggle switch in the car. Are you sure you didn't turn it off by mistake? Sometimes the installer mounts it. Others may just leave it in the wire bundle. Also make sure you are holding the remote button for 1 second. A quick push won't fire up the RS.
The 4103v has better range and doesn't shut off when a door is opened like the OEM. I have OEM on my Legacy and 4203v on my OB and much prefer the 4203v. 4203v is just a 2 way version of your 4103v.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Mpnret, thank you for your Viper owner experience. The car is in the hands of my wife and although it failed to start this morning for her, it started at lunch. I will apply some of your knowlege about the by-pass switch and make sure we press the botton loang enough. I will keep everyone posted...

·
Registered
'15 outback limited twilight blue w/eyesight
49 Posts
Hello, I got a viper smart start for christmas, the vss 3000. My installer said I needed the valet key and a 75.00 add on to make it work on my 13 outback.
Is this correct? I am asking because Ive lost the valet key and the dealer wants big bucks for its replacement.
I like the ability to use my phone from anywhere to start the car.

·
Registered
2013 Outback - 3.6R Limited, EyeSight/Nav/MoonRoof/Kitchen Sink.
683 Posts
Hello, I got a viper smart start for christmas, the vss 3000. My installer said I needed the valet key and a 75.00 add on to make it work on my 13 outback.
Is this correct? I am asking because Ive lost the valet key and the dealer wants big bucks for its replacement.
It's all fun and games until someone else uses their phone to start your car! :)

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
Sounds like your installer is not up on what's currently available or just doesn't stock the transponder bypass that does not require the valet key. Make some calls and check around with other installers. You can find your local installers on the Viper website. Was this already purchased from a big box store and now you have to arrange for installation? Still nothing prevents you from shopping the smaller guys (without mentioning you are already committed to a big store) and ask the right questions.
I would proceed very cautiously with the VSS3000. It is a remote start system that is bundled with a smart start module (smart phone interface) but does not come with a remote. That means every time you want to remote start your car you have to use your phone. You also pay a monthly charge for the required service. Some people have trouble getting a consistent connection from phone to car. I would google "VSS3000" "Viper SmartStart" etc and read any reviews you can find. Amazon and Best Buy should have some. These reviews will help you ask all the right installation questions up front like "will my factory remote unlock my doors once the car is remote started"? If you are comfortable with the system after your search or if a friend had the same one installed there and it works great, go for it. From my very limited knowledge of this particular system, it is one I would avoid.

·
Registered
2012 Outback- Premium 2.5 All Weather Package
2 Posts
Hello UncleSalty....

I have the same remote start and had to use my valet key. I have had the system for about 6 weeks now, and it works perfectly. It's really convenient to use my phone to start my car.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I notice Best Buy is advertising this system. By any chance are both of you guys using them and they only stock the transponder bypass that requires a key. They seem to stock the same stuff nationwide. Mine was installed about 2 months ago and didn't require a key but not by BB.

colburnr, How much do they get for the required service to use the phone?

·
Registered
2012 Outback- Premium 2.5 All Weather Package
2 Posts
I notice Best Buy is advertising this system. By any chance are both of you guys using them and they only stock the transponder bypass that requires a key. They seem to stock the same stuff nationwide. Mine was installed about 2 months ago and didn't require a key but not by BB.

colburnr, How much do they get for the required service to use the phone?
mpnret....

I did purchase mine at Best Buy and had them install it. One of the tech's went to high school with me, so I trusted them. When I bought the unit, they told me I would need the valet key, but I did not inquire further. If I could of had it done without using the valet key I would have. The cost for the app. for my iPhone was $49.99 if I remember correctly. Actually, the app was free, but the cost for the service was $49.99 for the year. I really like it, and the ability to sit at my desk at work and start my car without having to get up. I have yet to have the app. fail to start my car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am the original poster, and thought I would update the forum. The problem turned out to be operator error. The remote start buttom needs to be pushed twice to start the car and it worked fine over the weekend.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts