Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
06 2.5i OBW 5spd man
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
virtue of wider tires in spring/summer/fall ? 06 2.5 OBW

trying to organize my query thread(s) a little about new tires for my 06 2.5 OBW...

Is there any virtue in going to a wider tire (say 235) than OEM for spring/summer/fall tires ? For winter tires, I went down to 215/55r17, I'm modestly adventurous there if the reason is good. Working with the tire circumference calculator I found online. Not willing to change wheel size.

Any reason to go to a wider tire for spring/summer/fall, or is the original recommended size just fine ? (and am I going to start rubbing against the wheelwells with even a 235/50r17 ?). All stock suspension.

I drive precisely, but not off-road, and within reasonable distance of posted speed limits (rarely above 80 here in the northeast, I love my cars and my license).

thanks!

·
Registered
2013 BRZ 2005 OBXT
231 Posts
Well generally for winter tires you want to stick to narrow. This helps eliminate the snow from from messing with your contact pad on the road. That said wider tires would help some if the compound is the correct makeup for on ice. So do you deal with more snow covered roads or ice covered roads?

*edit* saying wider would help with ice is in a best case scenario. Wider hurts in more scenarios then helps.

·
Registered
06 2.5i OBW 5spd man
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my bad, confusing wording. I'm asking about going wider in spring/summer/fall, edited to try to say it more clearly

1 - 3 of 3 Posts