Subaru Outback Forums banner

Viscous coupling, center diff

7K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  '05 Outback 2.5i 
#1 ·
Folks:

The center diff (viscous coupling) in my 04, 5mt Outback is noisy and I am about to replace it. When it is hot, after being driven on the highway, it makes a grinding kind of noise when you turn the wheel hard left or right. I understand this is the viscous coupling failing. It also makes a loud whirring noise at all speeds but louder of course at higher speeds. Is this the Viscous coupling making the noise or are their bearings that are bad because of the viscous couplng.

Feedback would be appreciated as I have to order parts this week. Thanks.

#4 ·
Many Thanks for the tip.
I took my car to a an ex-Subaru guy who runs his own shop (only works on subaru's and EVO's) and he had a look at it. He said that he was 99% sure it's the center Diff. Guy seemed honest and was recommended by a few people on other subaru forum's.

#5 ·
If you are going to spend the money to replace it, you might want to consider replacing it with a torsen style center diff (mechanical - Basically what Audi's better systems use). The price is steep (I believe $1,650 as last quoted to me, and available through Rallispec), but a signifigant upgrade (IMHO) to the viscous coupling center that comes with the cars..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.