Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rebuilding a manual trans. for my 2002 Outback and found that the snap ring had come out of the viscopling. I have reassembled the coupling and will install a heaver snap ring in it but am wondering what fluid do I put in it. Or is trying to repair this even a good idea? Should I just spend the money and install a new one. If so are the ones on e-bay for around $250.00 any good (rebuilt from China) or should I just speed the money and get a new on from Subaru. I plan on keeping the car and am also rebuilding the engine and want everything right.

·
Registered
2001 2.5 RS & 2000 OB
141 Posts
The center diff is a sealed unit, you can't service it. Why do you think it needs to be replaced? You can also tack weld the new ring in place.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes I thought about tack welding tack welding the cover on. But doesn't it need a fluid of some kind in it before I do that to work properly? The clutch pack in it is sealed with O-rings at each end in order to keep some type of fluid in and lost whatever was in it when the snap ring came out and the cover fell out when I took it out of the gearbox. That's why I need to know what kind fluid it needs to have or if it's better to replace the unit. None of the plates are damaged and I was able to put it all back together. Just need to know what fluid to use or if it's even available or if it's even a good idea to attempt to repair this.

·
Registered
2000 Outback Limited, Dual Range 5 Speed
889 Posts
+1 yarrgh

Replace new genuine, had the same thing happen to me. But drove mine for a while as I didn’t know what happened. More than likely you will put it together and have torque bind to a degree either now or after the welding.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
+1 yarrgh

Replace new genuine, had the same thing happen to me. But drove mine for a while as I didn’t know what happened. More than likely you will put it together and have torque bind to a degree either now or after the welding.
That's what I'm thinking. I'm an old fart retired ASE master tech and may be to old to redo this in a few years. I'll just spend the money now and do it right.

·
Registered
2000 Outback Limited, Dual Range 5 Speed
889 Posts
Plus this is a not so common problem with the older viscous couplings (dual layer snap ring), the superseded ones have been changed (single layer thicker snap ring) and apparently don’t have the problem at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts