Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent so much time looking at different cars in parking lots while I was trying to decide what car to buy that it's become a habit, especially Outbacks since I recently bought a 2013 3.6R. This is my first Subaru and I never paid attention to them before so I'm ignorant of the different model years.

What are some standout visual cues I can use to tell the difference between 2010 - 2013 Outbacks? (I apologize if this has already been asked and answered, I did a search).

Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I spent so much time looking at different cars in parking lots while I was trying to decide what car to buy that it's become a habit, especially Outbacks since I recently bought a 2013 3.6R. This is my first Subaru and I never paid attention to them before so I'm ignorant of the different model years.

What are some standout visual cues I can use to tell the difference between 2010 - 2013 Outbacks? (I apologize if this has already been asked and answered, I did a search).

Thanks!
Different grill, different fog lights, different front bumper. That's about it.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,323 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,370 Posts
Different grill, different fog lights, different front bumper. That's about it.
Plus different wheels, background color of "Outback" badge on the doors and an additional roof rail position for 2013 MY.

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
I know the 2010-2012 models look virtually identical but you can tell if it's a 2012 if it has black steering wheel controls. They were silver from 2010-2011.

If the car is "silver", then here are some clues:
If it's steel gray, then it's a 2010-2011.
If it's ice silver with the old front end, then it's a 2012.

...There are variations with the blue tones as well, but I personally stay away from blue so I'm not sure of the differences.

Also, the horizontal trim above the rear licence plate was a separate piece from 2010-2011 (a Chrome strip was an available accessory). That trim became a one-piece unit in 2012, with no available chrome accessory.

At some point, the 6-spoke wheels from the 2010-2012 design were polished instead of painted silver. I think those may have only existed on 2010 Limited models?

There are also different standard radios from year to year. 2010-2011 might actually be identical in this regard.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
The easiest way to tell from afar is the fog surrounds. They are bigger and black.

Along with what others have noted.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
The easiest way to tell from afar is the fog surrounds. They are bigger and black.

Along with what others have noted.
+1 fogs on the 2013's. Plus the grill. 10-12 are much more subtle. 10+11 have a separate trim piece on the back end above the license plate. It can be replaced with the Chrome Garnish option.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks!

Thanks everyone -It's nice to know there's a reason I can't tell them apart! Anyway, now I can tell 2013s, 2010-2012s, and <=2009's apart. And that will just have to be good enough

1 - 8 of 8 Posts