Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some new definitions for your consideration:

1. Pre-guage gas: That bit of gas you get above the Full line on your gas guage when you fill up. It seems like you are driving for free until it goes below the Full mark on the guage.

2. Venitian Rear Window: No, not some euphemism for a sexual position. It's the way your back window looks like ventitian or mini-blinds when the defrost is first turned on.

3. Tire hips: The way the bottom of a tire that is low on air looks. Usually seen on the tire in front of you when you are following someone with a low tire.

Now come up with some of your own or share some that you've heard before. If the list is impresive enough I'll share them with Click and Clack on NPR's Car Talk.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,114 Posts
vitreous tread; when your tires are so bald, the only tread is from cuts from broken beer bottles

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bump. Put those thinking caps on. Or at least Google one.

·
Registered
'98-2.5L & '05-3.0L Subaru Outback Wagons
142 Posts
cataracts..

cataracts: when the low hanging Subi fog lights get chips (rock) on them.

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
Reactions: Outbackroo

·
Registered
08 OB 3.0R Beaner
413 Posts
Suby hum or humbucking: A failing wheel bearing noise that can be heard in the cacophony of wind noise and various rattles which demands attention before reaching crashcendo.

In traffic slang, The term for vehicle or vehicles increasing their speed after being passed is "Rabbiting".

"Rabbiting" can result in the often dangerous practice of "Chasing". "Chasing" occurs when a "Rabbited" vehicle tries to keep up with the faster vehicle which it will do until the "Spring" is broken.

"Rabbited" vehicles are attached to the lead vehicle with a "Spring". When the lead vehicle passes a "Rabbit", the "Rabbit" latches on with a "Spring". It will follow often racing to catch up and then slowing down to avoid passing, hence the term "Spring".

The "Rabbit" will fall back into a block of traffic once it loses sight of the lead vehicle for an extended period of time, this is called "Breaking the Spring".

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Only one that comes to mind without googling is Ghost Riding the Whip.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How about the: Windows vs. A/C mileage factor - that's the speed where it is more economical to run the A/C than have the added drag created with the windows down.

Not to be confused with the Windows vs. A/C drag factor - that's the speed where it is less of a drag to run the A/C, no matter what it does to your mileage, than listen to your family complain about the wind whipping their hair around. Most often calculated by dads with daughter(s).

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,437 Posts
Mist me By That Much:

When you run your windscreen washers to clear a bug etc. during highway cruise, and you notice the guy behind you now running his to clear the bits that wound up slipstreaming onto his windscreen, and the car behind him ad infinitum.

·
Registered
2005 xt limited gone but not forgotten
343 Posts
Auto fartrilloquism: the remarkably entertaining ability to deflect the blame for your flatulence on other members of your carpool group.

ie: Mary was an excellent fartrilloquist, she could "throw" the odor off on John sitting in the back seat.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Auto fartrilloquism: the remarkably entertaining ability to deflect the blame for your flatulence on other members of your carpool group.

ie: Mary was an excellent fartrilloquist, she could "throw" the odor off on John sitting in the back seat.
That's why I travel with my golden retriever whenever possible. Poor dog. My wife has changed his brand of dog food three times now and nothing seems to help. :rolleyes:

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,691 Posts
That's why I travel with my golden retriever whenever possible. Poor dog. My wife has changed his brand of dog food three times now and nothing seems to help. :rolleyes:
That is quite a push from the front seat to the hatch. If only you could find a way to capture the natural gas with the EGR system, and it would also save the planet from additional greenhouse gas.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,114 Posts
lousy name, good value;

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RV dingie - The small vehicle towed by an RV. A dingie is a small boat towed behind a larger boat in order to go to shore or into shallower water from an anchorage.

"We use the CRV to go from the Class A motor home to town from the campground."

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gridiot - One who does not think about having enough room for their car on the other side of a city intersection, causing them to get trapped in the intersection when the traffic light changes, blocking oncoming traffic and causing gridlock. Idiots!

Even if your light is green, do not enter the intersection unless there is enough room for you on the other side.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Street Slalom - The driving technique used to make it down a city street while avoiding obstacles on both sides of the street like parked delivery trucks, taxi cab pickups and drop offs, and that one guy who thinks double parking with his flashers on is justified because he needs to use the ATM. You know who you are red Toyota Camry!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
Weavering: What a lane wandering Subie does while making several lane changes. (My wife uses it to describe texters who drift while driving)

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
Palindromeder: when your odometer reads the same in both directions.

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,475 Posts
SQUARE TIRES: The outside temperature is soooo cold that the tires 'remember' the flat spots on the bottom from being parked all night. This phenomenon slowly goes away as you drive the first mile or so.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 54 Posts