2016, OB, 3.6R, Limited, Crystal White Pearl
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
8,969 Posts
The video depicts a Gen 6 Outback but I think the tone is off the mark and ineffective in winning hearts and minds. This isn't the first time Volkswagen targeted Subaru.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,859 Posts
I will admit...I have been watching all the reviews about this car. VW is taking a huge leap by electrifying their lineup. I will say that our ‘04 TDI ran 12 years, 300,000 km and has been the best car for reliability that we have ever owned...yes...our ‘11 OB is included with that list of our cars. Like any new model car, Give them a few years to work out the bugs. Heck...look how long it’s taken Subaru to work out the head gasket bug...or should I call it a gremlin?

Reactions: surfstar

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premier 2.5i
806 Posts
Look on the bright side. At least with an electric car they won't be able to fudge the emission numbers to circumvent laws, pollute your kid's atmosphere, and leave you with a car nobody wants because of it.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT Magnetite Gray Metallic / Java Brown Leather
419 Posts
It starts at a price point where the OB maxes. And it's 2WD. Apples and handgrenades?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Hate to say it but the VW ad writers probably considered Subaru vulnerable. I see these ads and wince that we don't yet have a Subaru EV already in production for mainstream buyers (and just one low-volume Subaru hybrid).

I also thought it was bad form in the ad world to give publicity to your competition, which is what you're doing even when you are trying to make fun of them. They'd probably have preferred to take a slap at Toyota, but couldn't, bc Toyota is as big as VW, and also has undeniable green cred with its large hybrid lineup.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
8,969 Posts
Subaru is supposed to reveal their EV in Shanghai on April 21 along with its Toyota twin based on the e-tgna chassis.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,200 Posts
They are now just going to fudge charging time and range numbers.
If they had a true sense of humor, there would be an option to pump black soot out the back.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,427 Posts
As long as the battery lifespan is harmonized to the rest of the car, VW should do okay.

I call this out because we've seen 20 years worth of hybrids now where the car lasts about as long as 1.3 battery packs... so there's a big bill late in the car's life when it is substantially depreciated.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I lost count of the things I thought were lacking in the car and the charging system while watching that video.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I'm looking forward to the Toyota EV, and the use if its tech in a Subaru. IMO Toyota has waited so long to bring it out bc they are so protective of their reputation, and everything has to be right the first time. Then there was battery tech, and IMO there was a turning point for Toyota a while back when they announced they are now satisfied with the longevity of their solid state battery.

I don't think some of the other carmakers (including VW) will sweat the details quite as much as Toyota, but a number of other brands have been selling EVs longer (VW since 2016 IIRC) and that means that Toyota will be playing some catch-up. Head starts are important in the car biz, esp these days. Tesla, for example, has almost a decade advantage, as the Model S went on sale in June 2012, which will give them a continued advantage for years in the future.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i, 6M
102 Posts
As much as I'd love to have a full EV in my driveway, until there is one with the range to use daily and for recreational trips to places without power, much less a charging station, I'll stick with the dirty OB.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Just my opinion, but hybrid makes the most sense to me. Use e power when you can, gas when you can't and recharge the battery with 4 wheel coasting and braking. EV vehicles will simply cause more pollution in burning fossil fuels to generate the power needed to charge EV's than they will save in being electric. Then there is all that infrastructure - charging stations, copper cables, plastics, power grid - where do you think it stems from? Mining (more fossil fuels burnt), water usage, steel making (enormous energy consumption), copper smelting, oil to make plastics for charging stations, more plastics and metals for battery production and so on - EV's being green is a misguided notion, but that's just me.

·
Registered
2017 3.6R Limited with Eye Sight
713 Posts
Just my opinion, but hybrid makes the most sense to me. Use e power when you can, gas when you can't and recharge the battery with 4 wheel coasting and braking. EV vehicles will simply cause more pollution in burning fossil fuels to generate the power needed to charge EV's than they will save in being electric. Then there is all that infrastructure - charging stations, copper cables, plastics, power grid - where do you think it stems from? Mining (more fossil fuels burnt), water usage, steel making (enormous energy consumption), copper smelting, oil to make plastics for charging stations, more plastics and metals for battery production and so on - EV's being green is a misguided notion, but that's just me.
Agreed. I don't know why Hydrogen fuel cells aren't being explored more.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
8,969 Posts
I know why hydrogen fuel cells aren't being explored more - you can't fill your car with hydrogen at home unlike an EV. If you bought a hydrogen fuel cell car (Toyota sells one) where would you fill it up?

It might make more sense for centralized fleets like a truck or bus yard or other vehicle fleets, but even then the economy of scale makes it difficult. It's like how some fleets use LPG but you don't see it being used by ordinary consumers.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts