Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. We have a 2019 Outback Limited that we are really enjoying. But we have been experiencing a very peculiar glitch with the onboard electronics.

About 1/3 of the time after a phone call is disconnected, the volume on the radio spikes crazy loud (like full-volume) for about 1 second. This happens even though radio volume is normal (we listen at 6-7) and the phone volume is normal. It happens seemingly at random. It is so very loud that we are concerned about it startling the driver and causing a serious accident.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I called the Encore Service guy and his response was "bring it in, we will look at it". That sounds great, except that I am confident the issue will not be repeated on-site.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Glenn

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Premium
76 Posts
You can adjust call volume in your settings

Edit: rereading your post. No, I haven't noticed this issue. Could be a BT issue. No real advise, sorry
Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R
58 Posts
we had this the other day 2018 OB, took a call, I turned up the volume during the call, the call ended and I thought the place was exploding - not sure if it will occur again but I will let the service bloke know if it reoccurs. Pretty unsettling!

·
Registered
2 Posts
2019 Outboack

I had this same issue. Having just replaced a windshield, thought this was somehow connected. My Navi/radio/phone/Siri went dark about a week after a replacement; however the day before it happened, a phone call came in while my Navi was giving directions. Volume started blasting on both the radio and the Navi and we could not turn it down. Next day nothing. Turns out it required an update. Service Manager at dealership said same update was required in the 2018 and was surprised they never did a recall on it. I am still curious as to how volume/phone/radio/navi---virtually all the sound audio is linked to an Update. Maps and radio would come up with no sound.

Happy to report after the Update, all is good and back in working order. :nerd:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought my 2019 Outback Touring in Nov 2018. I have also been dealing with the radio volume randomly spiking through the roof upon disconnecting from phone call. It has almost caused me to wreck. I also wonder what damage is being done to speakers. I reported it shortly after purchase. Didn’t know anything about it. Came back they did an update. Took back they replaced the volume amplifier? Still doing it and going back Tuesday. Has anybody else experiencing this had the issue resolved? Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello all. We have a 2019 Outback Limited that we are really enjoying. But we have been experiencing a very peculiar glitch with the onboard electronics.

About 1/3 of the time after a phone call is disconnected, the volume on the radio spikes crazy loud (like full-volume) for about 1 second. This happens even though radio volume is normal (we listen at 6-7) and the phone volume is normal. It happens seemingly at random. It is so very loud that we are concerned about it startling the driver and causing a serious accident.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I called the Encore Service guy and his response was "bring it in, we will look at it". That sounds great, except that I am confident the issue will not be repeated on-site.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Glenn
We’re you able to get this issue resolved? I am having the same problem.
Donna

·
Registered
8 Posts
we had this the other day 2018 OB, took a call, I turned up the volume during the call, the call ended and I thought the place was exploding - not sure if it will occur again but I will let the service bloke know if it reoccurs. Pretty unsettling!
We’re you able to get issue resolved? I’m having the same issue!

·
Banned
22 Posts

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Glenn

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R
58 Posts
We’re you able to get issue resolved? I’m having the same issue!
Yes, the head unit was replaced after finally failing completely. Go to Subaru and ask them to update the software - this is boasted to prevent the total failure of the HU.
Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok. Thought I’d give y’all an update from my visit to Subaru service today. I let the service guy read this info from y’all. He admitted that the “radio”/infotainment center has been a black eye for Subaru. So. They went over things. Did an update that he said had nothing to do with the complaint. Then he said that Bluetooth was the weakest connection for the system. So, he suggested that I tether my iPhone to the system and use CarPlay for the best connection and thinks it will stop the popping and explosions when a call disconnects. So I’ve done that and hope it works. Hate that I have to be physically connected to it. Seems a little backward, but he said that Bluetooth is on its way out?!? So, any thoughts from y’all on this “solution”? I feel like I may have settled.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There was a TSB to replace the amp depending on the problem noted.... You say radio volume, but here is the symptom from the TSB:

Symptom 5: Audio volume is temporarily louder than expected after ending a Bluetooth call while using navigation guidance​

see this thread for the info and a copy of the TSB
Wow thanks! When I say louder it’s like an ear splitting explosion! A new amplifier was put in just before Christmas, and on Christmas Eve I almost had a wreck after disconnecting a call. So obviously the new amplifier didn’t fix it. Like I said I’m not happy about being tethered and I’ll see if someone will help me try the fuse solution. Thanks again. By the way, where do I find the fuse? I know -I’m stupid. 😁

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Well, the fuse reset is if the amplifier isn’t responding at all, so it may not help the Bluetooth volume problem I f you’ve had a newer revision of the amplifier put in, but it couldn’t hurt. In that thread post #5 has a picture of the fuse box under the hood with an arrow showing which one.

I’m not convinced that the newer units fix all the problems with the older units either... I think there is some room for improvement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow--glad to hear I'm not going crazy. I have a 2019 Outback. Same problem started shortly after I purchased the car in spring 2019. Have taken the car back to dealer (who said they had not heard of this before) and they felt a software update could take care of it. Problem didn't happen for a while, but past few months, has recurred intermittently. Tonight it happened big time, and my ears hurt for about 30 minutes afterwards. This is a major issue for Subaru when the problem is causing physical harm to the driver! And, I might mention that it is a serious driving hazard when the driver is distracted in trying to turn the volume down while driving-- in my case, on a major highway!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Min
Wow--glad to hear I'm not going crazy. I have a 2019 Outback. Same problem started shortly after I purchased the car in spring 2019. Have taken the car back to dealer (who said they had not heard of this before) and they felt a software update could take care of it. Problem didn't happen for a while, but past few months, has recurred intermittently. Tonight it happened big time, and my ears hurt for about 30 minutes afterwards. This is a major issue for Subaru when the problem is causing physical harm to the driver! And, I might mention that it is a serious driving hazard when the driver is distracted in trying to turn the volume down while driving-- in my case, on a major highway!
Minor correction: I have a 2018 Outback. So looks like this problem has been around before the 2019 models arrived.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts