Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After plenty of opportunities to drive/goof around in my 2000 OB in the snow I can say it doesn't even come close to the performance of my Passat 4Motion. I wasn't expecting much of a difference, boy was I wrong. Hopefully I'm not making any enemys on this observation.

Taking a snowey corner on the VW is incredible, as long as you don't take your foot of the gas, then the car will slide out as the 4Motion isn't engaged.

On the Subie though, the car just slides like crazy around a snowey corner. The FWD light wasn't on, and I even checked the fuse box to make sure the AWD wasn't disengaged.

I might add, that my Passat doesn't have stability control, and option on newer models now. After some research though I guess the 4Motion/Quattro is quite a bit different than your standard OBs. VW/Audi uses the planetary gear center differential along with input from the ABS to control wheel slip. I beleive this is similar to the higher end VTD system used by Subaru.

I must say this in defense of the Outback, over 7 inches of ground clearance will make this a much better vehicle when it comes to off-road, but then Audi has the AllRoad with over 8 inches as well, and you can bring it back down for highway driving.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tires on my Passat are the originals (Michelins), they have just over 10k miles on them. The OB tires are Aspens, I think they are pretty cheap tires. I was told they have 75% tread left on them.

I'm not too familiar with tires, I'll let you know the details of each once I get my OB back. I wouldn't think that the tires would make that much of a difference, but then again, I don't know much about tires.

·
Premium Member
15,840 Posts
The Op's original point...is actually the point. The VW/Audi AWD is very good. Let's face, people think the WRX was hot when it came out. Rally boy racers everywhere.

I think it was 1984, maybe later '86 that Audi got banned from the World Rally circuit, because the had engineered and "unfair advantage". They been at the good stuff longer than us.

That said. The Subaru's of the '80's were not necessarily fast, but they were tough mothers and would got lot's of places only CJ's went. Sometimes further. And it depends on the Subaru AWD system that the Passat is being compared to. If the OP drove Frank, he/she might have a different perspective. The Gen3 XT, in the 5EAT...it pretty sweet. You can do the "tiptronic thing" too if you want. The 55/45 rear bias is a big part of that.

And Oh yeah...Frank will climb a frozen waterfall...Cooper M+S studded.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had an 03(?) Passat GLX 4 motion wagon and now have an 04 OB Ltd, and I would take the Subaru over the VW in the snow every time. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
The Passat 4motion with decent tires will destroy any auto H4 Subaru of the same wi tags hands down. It's been a long time since I've driven a second gen H6 in the snow but my 3.0R is better than the Passat albeit newer.

The Passat doesn't have traction control, which I prefer. I turn it off in my Outback in the winter. The H6 cars have a far superior AWD system as far as driving dynamics are concerned when compared with 4cyl autos. That being said, a Passat 4mo is very entertaining in the winter with good tires. I've also has the luxury of flogging a top of the line W8 GLX wagon in a blizzard a few times, now that is a fun engine. I'd own one with 6MT right now if I had more money than brains.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
8 Participants
patrikman
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing