Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
'87 VW Vanagon Syncro with EZ30D power
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still troubleshooting my rough running / subtle stuble issue, but in the mean time I've had another ongoing issue with my EZ30D powered VW Vanagon.

To do a Subaru conversion, us converters have to add a VSS to the Vanagon as these vehicles did not come with one.

There are various methods of doing this, but the most popular is adding a hall effect pickup at one of the inner rear CV joints, with a magnet ring bolted to the CV. the most popular kit is probably this one here that I've used:
SmallCar Performance: Hall Effect Speeed Sensor Kit

Not much to it really... Apply a constant 12v power source to the red wire (we draw this from the supply to the ECU), ground to the black wire, and the blue wire feeds to the ECU's VSS signal input.

the Hall Effect sensor itself appears to be this component:
Hamlin 55100 Flange Mount Hall Effect Sensor

This setup has been used in literally thousands of Subaru conversion and operated for hundreds of thousands of miles.. But the EZ30D conversion is relatively new to the scene and only a handful are operational.

On my installation, I've burned out 4 of these damned things now, and we haven't found the cause yet. The component is shorting to ground and when this happens I was blowing a 10A fuse that powers the whole damned ECU, leaving me dead in the water!
I had to add an additional 1A fuse in the power line to the sensor, which would blow before the 10A thus still leaving me with a running engine but the P500 Speed Sensor code.

My question is regarding the ECU signal - if anyone knows exactly what the ECU is demanding in power from the VSS? Or a means to test the voltage/current demand? The component is rated for 10mA continuous, so we're thinking that the ECU is spiking at some point, blowing these out on me after 40-50 miles of operation.
I was thinking I could take, say, a 1kohm resistor and connect it to the VSS signal wire to ground, and measure the current with ignition off, then on?

Any ideas are appreciated.

-Brian

·
Registered
1 Posts
Still troubleshooting my rough running / subtle stuble issue, but in the mean time I've had another ongoing issue with my EZ30D powered VW Vanagon.

To do a Subaru conversion, us converters have to add a VSS to the Vanagon as these vehicles did not come with one.

There are various methods of doing this, but the most popular is adding a hall effect pickup at one of the inner rear CV joints, with a magnet ring bolted to the CV. the most popular kit is probably this one here that I've used:
SmallCar Performance: Hall Effect Speeed Sensor Kit

Not much to it really... Apply a constant 12v power source to the red wire (we draw this from the supply to the ECU), ground to the black wire, and the blue wire feeds to the ECU's VSS signal input.

the Hall Effect sensor itself appears to be this component:
Hamlin 55100 Flange Mount Hall Effect Sensor

This setup has been used in literally thousands of Subaru conversion and operated for hundreds of thousands of miles.. But the EZ30D conversion is relatively new to the scene and only a handful are operational.

On my installation, I've burned out 4 of these damned things now, and we haven't found the cause yet. The component is shorting to ground and when this happens I was blowing a 10A fuse that powers the whole damned ECU, leaving me dead in the water!
I had to add an additional 1A fuse in the power line to the sensor, which would blow before the 10A thus still leaving me with a running engine but the P500 Speed Sensor code.

My question is regarding the ECU signal - if anyone knows exactly what the ECU is demanding in power from the VSS? Or a means to test the voltage/current demand? The component is rated for 10mA continuous, so we're thinking that the ECU is spiking at some point, blowing these out on me after 40-50 miles of operation.
I was thinking I could take, say, a 1kohm resistor and connect it to the VSS signal wire to ground, and measure the current with ignition off, then on?

Any ideas are appreciated.

-Brian
Hey, did you ever get this sorted out? Having the same issue with EZ30 in my vanagon. Cant figure out why speed sensors keep shorting out. Let me know... Dave

1 - 2 of 2 Posts