Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback 3.6R LTD, TECH-NAV-EyeSight; 2018 Ascent Premier (Canada)
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reactions: CrazyOkie

·
Registered
2017 OB 2.5 Lim/ 2005 STI 400 WHP
277 Posts
I've had 2 outback and 1 jetta wagon. I shopped both. I have 3 kids. The smallest was 6 when I was shopping. She didn't fit in the middle seat of the Alltrack. The back seat is similar in size to the impreza.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,945 Posts
Reactions: z28dug

·
Registered
'17 Outback 3.6R Limited, '05 Forester
121 Posts
A good comparison work from ConsumerReport:

Of course I voted Subaru ;)

M
I guess I voted for the Subaru as well ... with my wallet like many people in this forum.

We test drove the VW Alltrack when we were looking to buy a new car.

No doubt the VW is a far more exciting car to drive than the Outback. I also found the interior layout much more ergonomic for me, however, the VW seats didn't feel as comfortable.

There were three major reasons why we chose the Outback over the Alltrack:
  1. Outback was larger especially in the back seat and trunk area
  2. No towing in the Alltrack
  3. Outback just felt more comfortable overall with a smoother ride
We only have one child - our 10 year old son who voted for the Outback because of the heated rear seats that recline!

·
Premium Member
2014 Outback 2.5i 6MT
34 Posts
My sister and her husband bought a VW Alltrack this fall. Since there's a lot of criticism of the Alltrack in this forum, I'm posting this to point out good reasons why someone would choose an Alltrack over an Outback. Alternate point of view.

They previously had a diesel VW Dasher, then a VW Jetta Sportwagen, and were fond of it (I thought the interior felt small compared with Subaru wagons.) Then came dieselgate. They were appalled to find out the real emissions of their car. Also thankful that VW would buy back the car or give them a big trade-in allowance. However, they had a hard time finding a new car they wanted so they delayed and delayed until the last minute of the buy-back (mid-2018).

Basically, they wanted a station wagon that they could drive in Denver and take on mountain road trips. They eliminated the Outback because they thought it handled poorly and they just didn't like driving it. Compared with their Jetta SportWagen, yes it does handle poorly. They liked the Alltrack handling and basic station-wagon-ness. Also it has a turbo engine, which is great for high-altitude driving in Colorado.

I agree with them about the Outback handling, but I bought one anyway because I wanted Subaru AWD for snow/ice and the higher clearance is helpful in snow country (interior Alaska). And it's as close as I could get to duplicating my old Legacy wagon. But a year later I STILL feel like the handling on my Outback is mediocre, at least partly because of the high COG. I'm watching discussions of various mods (tdck) and thinking about what might help in my situation. Haven't done anything about it yet.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,945 Posts
@traildogck
@Blizzard wants his 2014 2.5 to handle more Germanic.

bigger sway bars and CKE bushings ?

·
Premium Member
2014 Outback 2.5i 6MT
34 Posts
@traildogck

@Blizzard wants his 2014 2.5 to handle more Germanic.

bigger sway bars and CKE bushings ?

Yep, that's what I'm thinking about. The dilemma is I drive on rough gravel/dirt roads fairly often, and I understand there's a tradeoff. Stiffening the suspension would mitigate the body roll but also give me a more jarring ride? At least in the summer. In the winter, snow on the gravel/dirt roads fills in potholes and dips. Snow is our friend. But the mod is completely reversible, so I will try it. Will contact him directly.

Also following the new discussion about steering dampener lockdown, and it looks like tdck has taken on that challenge, too.

·
Master Caster
🖤💔💙 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,253 Posts
Yep, that's what I'm thinking about. The dilemma is I drive on rough gravel/dirt roads fairly often, and I understand there's a tradeoff. Stiffening the suspension would mitigate the body roll but also give me a more jarring ride? At least in the summer. In the winter, snow on the gravel/dirt roads fills in potholes and dips. Snow is our friend. But the mod is completely reversible, so I will try it. Will contact him directly.

Also following the new discussion about steering dampener lockdown, and it looks like tdck has taken on that challenge, too.
The 75d bushings are NOT a huge detriment off road at all. The 85d are for street cars. Or, if you keep the stock rear bar (16mm) , put 85d in the rear and 75d in the front. You will get the most the rear bar has to offer and it will still be off-road compliant. The 75d front will be a moderate upgrade, but more durable.

Stock kinda s*cks. Gen3 model shown.

And I am a good value to boot. Look at this ebay listing for one stock front.

I sell a pair for 32.50 plus shipping. So for $5 more than a stocker, you can get CKE SSP. That's no-brainer right there.

As far as the lock down goes, I hope to be casting prototype molds this weekend. I'll keep the forum posted.

·
Registered
2016 WRX, 2017 BRZ, 2017 Legacy
365 Posts
If I lived near a VW dealer and the car was always under warranty (< 50k) , I'd take the VW because it has manual transmission and better handling. I'd also buy slightly used so that someone else can take the more significant initial depreciation that comes with European vehicles.

Otherwise I'd pick the Outback. And then sell before the CVT is no longer covered by a warranty.

·
Registered
2014 3.6R Limited
1,156 Posts
I don't know what the depreciation is now on VW's. When I bought my 2013 TDI Sportwagon I thought one would be a fool to buy used over new. That was also true of the used Subaru's I looked at when I bought mine. I bought used because I didn't want a CVT and personally like the Gen 4 more than 5.

In both of those senarios above the savings was only a couple thousand more for new vrs. low mileage 10-15K miles used.

If I lived near a VW dealer and the car was always under warranty (< 50k) , I'd take the VW because it has manual transmission and better handling. I'd also buy slightly used so that someone else can take the more significant initial depreciation that comes with European vehicles.

Otherwise I'd pick the Outback. And then sell before the CVT is no longer covered by a warranty.

·
Registered
2016 WRX, 2017 BRZ, 2017 Legacy
365 Posts
I don't know what the depreciation is now on VW's. When I bought my 2013 TDI Sportwagon I thought one would be a fool to buy used over new. That was also true of the used Subaru's I looked at when I bought mine. I bought used because I didn't want a CVT and personally like the Gen 4 more than 5.

In both of those senarios above the savings was only a couple thousand more for new vrs. low mileage 10-15K miles used.
Yup, sometimes it makes sense to buy new, especially on cars that don't depreciate much (Subaru's and diesels). I totally want people to buy new so that there are more used vehicles available in the future ;-)

But sometimes a really good deal comes up, or it takes too long to build and deliver a desired vehicle.

VW is pretty low on the list: https://www.jdpower.com/cars/ratings/depreciation/2018/manufacturers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts