Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Be careful out there folks! Getting dark earlier - bad weather etc

Had my first ever head on wrong way driver experience last night on a large 40mph parkway two lanes each way with large landscaped center strip. Very few places for a car to make a wrong turn and end up going the wrong way but this clown figured it out.

My first indication there was something very wrong - the pickup on the inside lane and about even with the first car in the outside lane which I was following with a SUV between us. Pickup slams on his brakes and proceeds to jump the large center strip curb and go between two large pine trees (no cars going the other way in the other two lanes)- I started slowing down thinking What the heck? Thats when the SUV infront of me stopped as if he hit something. I managed to stop the OB short and facing the outside curb little cockeyed in my lane. Cars behind us all stopped farther back. I couldn't see what the deal was got out of the car walked around the corner of the SUV to see a Jetta facing me driver side fenders locked with the SUV. The guy in the car sporting a tie and suit is trying to get the car going again! "What the ****?" I duck back behind the SUV and as I'm getting into the car he goes by spewing sparks from a busted driver side front wheel. He goes up the street behind us about 60ft and stops no place to go facing two solid lanes of stopped traffic. I get back out of my car the two guys he hit infront of me are out of their cars. The driver of the SUV says - hey your cool right didn't hit me or the curb? I tell him yes fine managed to miss it - then he points at the wacko dude up the street just sitting there and says you might want to get out of there before he throws that thing into reverse ha ha. So I bailed out of there two small kids in the car no idea what this dudes issue was.

Anyone hop a sizable curb in the OB yet? I was very tempted to head for the bike path but the industrial sized curb had me thinking not. Had I been driving our Sequoia for sure the bike path given no way the truck would have stopped quick enough.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Could have been - first thought was an angry Republican LOL - he was maybe mid 50's sporting a tie and suit
Doubt it, Republicans are scarce in the SF Bay Area.

·
Registered
85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
2,174 Posts
election day, always the second most dangerous day of they year to drive, after New Years Eve night.

Election day brings OLD people out, who may never ever drive any other days of the year. It is these old people who drive "grandma type cars" so they can get out and vote, then they park the car the rest of the 3 years......

·
Registered
97 Outback 230000
1,138 Posts
There was a wrong way driver up here last night on I-5 that involved three cars, they took two people to the hospital.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There was a wrong way driver up here last night on I-5 that involved three cars, they took two people to the hospital.
Must have been the free drinks handed out at the polling booths.

Wrong way driver your options to avoid them are pretty limited based on my experience last night. Exiting the road seems like the only chance you might have which case leaving the road might be just as bad. I still can't figure how the guy in the truck missed the two pine trees when he jumped the center median. Pretty sure thats why all the cars behind us stopped cold in their tracks -that and they could probably see the goof ball driving the wrong way headed at them. LOL

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
We're getting our first snow tonight and tomorrow, so I fully expect I'll encounter a bunch of morons in the morning. Somebody should tell them 2WD and worn out all seasons don't really cut it--especially if they've got a lead foot and no common sense.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts

·
Registered
13 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT
340 Posts
Probaly following the advice of his Nav unit and it told him too turn after he passed where he should have turned

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,972 Posts
Almost certainly a drunk.
I called in a wrong way driver on I-5 back in '06 as I was driving from Portland to Salem (Oregon). This was at about 3am, so fortunately the road was fairly clear and he was in what he thought was the right lane. I spotted the fact that all the headlights ahead and behind him were blinking in and out of sight due to the center rail posts and hedges. As he got close, I tucked in behind a semi with some distance back, and since there was so little traffic he had a solid empty lane between us. He was doing a solid 65-70mph, and the posted was 65. I yanked out the cell (no hands free law, and even now such a situation is considered a valid emergency to call) and called it in. I had barely gotten back on the freeway after gassing up, and so I had a very good documentation of time and location. The cop that actually got him to stop - after he initially just wouldn't despite being driven straight at 'chicken style' with full lights - called me for details the next day. I was glad to give him all of my accurate info. Despite being caught red handed, I guess he tried to claim he was only on the road for a short distance and was not the 'other' car reported many times farther up the road (where I had seen him). In the end I guess he plead out, because I wasn't called to testify.

Despite being relatively 'low risk' for that type of situation, it wasn't a pleasant one. You never know when the drunk is going to realize something is wrong and make another, even worse decision.

·
Registered
2003 Outback, 5 MT, 134K, HG changed.
184 Posts
That's the one that killed 4 people.
I've encountered wrong way drivers twice, both were headed at me in the fast lane. Drunks think the "fast lane" is the "slow lane" in the wrong direction.
Never drive in the #1 lane late at night and early morning hours.
I-5 crash kills four, injures seven in Elk Grove - Elk Grove News - The Sacramento Bee
Can't emphasize enough about staying out of the fast lane late at night. From what I've been told, the lane markers reflect red if you're coming at them from the wrong way. I guess if a person is so far gone that driving into headlights doesn't phase them, the red lane markers won't either.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Sedan H6 3.0 VDC
151 Posts
When I was 16 or 17 I ended up the wrong way on a 70MPH freeway. I decided to take a "shortcut" I had been the passenger on once before. It was close to midnight so the roads were pitch black. I followed a windy country road for 15 miles or so, decided I was dead lost and finally came to a stop sign. I couldn't see much but decided to take a left since I thought that was the general direction I needed to go. 1/4 mile down the road I see head lights in the distance in what appeared to be my lane. As they got closer I figured it out and hit the grass median and crossed over to the proper side. For some reason the rural road I was on linked up directly to the freeway with no real signage. I took a left into the oncoming lanes. If it was light out it would have been obvious.

When I was living in Ballard in Seattle there was a street that used to have a train track running down the center. They pulled out the rails and turned the center into park leaving two narrow one way streets on each side of the parking strip. One night I was driving south and saw car lights in my lane heading northbound. I slowed way down and flashed my lights. When they kept coming I flashed my lights again and honked my horn. They figured it out.

Another night I was heading to work, just coming off the freeway on an exit ramp. A girl in a WRX took a left into the exit ramp entrance going the wrong way, I hit the breaks and the horn. She pulled off to the side and flipped me off like I was in her way.

People are crazy.

-Tim

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can't emphasize enough about staying out of the fast lane late at night. From what I've been told, the lane markers reflect red if you're coming at them from the wrong way. I guess if a person is so far gone that driving into headlights doesn't phase them, the red lane markers won't either.
^ that accident was a case of a large heavy SUV leaving the highway crossing the center divider and hitting traffic going the other way not really a wrong way driver more of something wrong with the car or the driver falling asleep - tire blown loss of control etc causing the car to cross over. We had a few of those farther west on Highway 80 between Dixon and Vallejo and they replaced the old cable fence and Plants with the large heavy cement divider after a number of accidents caused by high speed large vehicles making it through the center divider and hitting traffic going the other way.

·
Registered
97 Outback 230000
1,138 Posts

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,927 Posts
Last week, about 9am I was near the end of an off-ramp and met someone coming the wrong way, they had just turned 10 feet too early as the on and off ramps were right next to each other and met the surface street at a traffic light.

I was amazed how long I had to flash the lights and lean on the horn before he even realized there was a car coming at him.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Outback, 5 MT, 134K, HG changed.
184 Posts
^ that accident was a case of a large heavy SUV leaving the highway crossing the center divider and hitting traffic going the other way not really a wrong way driver more of something wrong with the car or the driver falling asleep - tire blown loss of control etc causing the car to cross over. We had a few of those farther west on Highway 80 between Dixon and Vallejo and they replaced the old cable fence and Plants with the large heavy cement divider after a number of accidents caused by high speed large vehicles making it through the center divider and hitting traffic going the other way.
Yikes...vehicles suddenly zipping across a division into oncoming traffic is one of the worst case scenarios. A few months ago I was on a highway whose median was just a 30 feet wide lane of soft dirt. Traffic began thickening and came to a crawl, with emergency vehicles in the distance. As we were filed past the accident, we saw a single late model Explorer on its roof next to our side of the road. There were deep, twisted gouge marks in the dirt leading from the wreckage, back across the dirt divider to where the vehicle first left the pavement coming the other direction. Not sure what caused it, and I didn't see any other cars involved at the accident scene. Good thing that wide dirt median did a good job of keeping the runaway car from making it to the opposing lanes.

·
Registered
'13 OB, Black, SAP
271 Posts
A wacko driver is the reason why I now have the OB. First a kid totalled my Altima running a red light. THEN about two weeks later lady darts out of a gas station, drives across three lanes of traffic and into my wifes Forester. In this case the lady had the **** nerve to tell my wife it was my wifes fault (mind you this woman did not have her license and insurance was expired, and car registration was not in her name..hmmm), but reality settled once she was given a citation. Gotta love these Louisianna drivers. So now I bought myself one of these: V1000GS HD 1080P Car DVR, going to test it out, then will buy my wife one.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts