Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Handling issue. New OB (2013). Dlr delivered with 40 PSI in Continental tires saying it prevents low tire light. I reduced to 34 PSI, no light. Initially handling was pretty good. Now, with 500 miles the car wanders some on the freeway requiring more attention than I think it should. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts
Handling issue. New OB (2013). Dlr delivered with 40 PSI in Continental tires saying it prevents low tire light. I reduced to 34 PSI, no light. Initially handling was pretty good. Now, with 500 miles the car wanders some on the freeway requiring more attention than I think it should. Any thoughts?
Mine wandered too at first, until I discovered the 38 & 40 psi tire pressure. After setting it to spec at 32/30, the problem went away. Some people on this Forum set their tire pressure higher, but that didn't work for me.

btw, I think the dealer's excuse was total BS

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,370 Posts
Yes, like Budaru said considering the Subaru recommended tire pressures are in the 32psi range saying that 40psi is to avoid tripping the TPMS is a load of manure.

Depending on the highway and conditions (not sure if you travel on the same highway consistently), worn-in grooves in the pavement can easily cause some wandering. As can a slight wind; the Outback really seems to catch any breeze and be pushed around easily. Other forum members that have had wandering issues have had the alignment checked out - that's probably a good starting point for you.

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R SAP
202 Posts
There is a long thread in the 4th gen section - search on "wander" in titles only and you should find it.

Quick summary, check your pressures, check your alignment. Don't believe the dealer on either item, although some dealers do better than others in terms of getting a good alignment.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
Dlr delivered with 40 PSI in Continental tires saying it prevents low tire light.
I'd ask the dealer why the door placard and the manual say something different than what they just said.

40psi is "over inflated" in my opinion and can cause drivability and wear issues. It might not be dangerous at that level but silly of them to say it's for TMPS.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Have 17,000 miles on my 2013 CVT Outback and run 35lbs. front and back with nitrogen in tires and no wandering w/standard contis. Tires show almost no wear yet. Actually, the car seems to get better and better the more mileage is on it in terms of spring movement, handling over bumps and general responsiveness.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Premier White
24 Posts
I have found that my 2013 Outback has extremely sensitive steering on the highway.
You have to constantly make micro adjustments to keep it on the road. I though it was maybe just me. Thankfully I read this. It could be the tires in a combination with the steering set up from the factory. I am using snow tires right now and it seems to be less of an issue. I am sure it is a design issue. When cars have a very sporty handleing like the 2013 has. (not that it is a sporty race car or anything) but at slow speeds. Very little movement in the steering wheel allow you to manover in the parking lots. The big boat type cars like Caddy's usually have to spin the wheel much further to get a U turn in a parking lot. Thus in my humble opinion the steering wheel becomes too sensitive on the highway where you spend way more time than in the parking lot.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,119 Posts
We covered the wandering here: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/50167-13-front-end-problem.html

It seems the subframe is "off" from the factory. The right side is upto 1/2" back from the left which is a caster and SAI issue that may be causing the wandering. A couple of owners have been able to get their dealers to correct the subframe adjustment and realign the car. Others have reported that the dealers are saying its in spec and leave it.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Some freeways have grooves that are not really straight... no matter how you drive, the car will be "wandering" - some, Like Long Beach Freeway or Harbor Freeway in L.A., have grooves in concrete from those heavy trucks with ocean containers, it's almost impossible to go straight on such surfaces....I once called CALTRANS to inquire about that and I was told that they have used different/various sub-contractors, when those freeways were built, on different sections of L.A. freeways and therefore not all freeways are uniform....LOL

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Some freeways have grooves that are not really straight... no matter how you drive, the car will be "wandering" - some, Like Long Beach Freeway or Harbor Freeway in L.A., have grooves in concrete from those heavy trucks with ocean containers, it's almost impossible to go straight on such surfaces....I once called CALTRANS to inquire about that and I was told that they have used different/various sub-contractors, when those freeways were built, on different sections of L.A. freeways and therefore not all freeways are uniform....LOL
I always wonder how many of these wandering posts are people who drive the same stretch of pavement day after day and think its the car and not the surface they are driving on?

There is a bridge I use to cross on my motorcycle every week and the grating would cause the bike to track really strange I would literally ride across the bridge strait while turning to the right. A friend followed me across one day and says to me - you do know that when you cross that bridge your back tire is way off set to the side vs the front. When you drive a cross on a car the car will hop left and to the right. Same sort of experience down in Long Beach I know that stretch of road my boat trailer tows odd through there I constantly need to keep an eye on it given it doesn't track directly behind the car on those grooves.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Premier White
24 Posts
I drive the same stretch of road every day and it didn't happen in my 2008 Outback which I had since new.
Always good to look at all the variables though.

I always wonder how many of these wandering posts are people who drive the same stretch of pavement day after day and think its the car and not the surface they are driving on?

There is a bridge I use to cross on my motorcycle every week and the grating would cause the bike to track really strange I would literally ride across the bridge strait while turning to the right. A friend followed me across one day and says to me - you do know that when you cross that bridge your back tire is way off set to the side vs the front. When you drive a cross on a car the car will hop left and to the right. Same sort of experience down in Long Beach I know that stretch of road my boat trailer tows odd through there I constantly need to keep an eye on it given it doesn't track directly behind the car on those grooves.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update!

I had the 19 mm RSW installed. Set the tires to 32F, 30R. Had the car aligned.

Some help with wandering but not fixed.

Gerry

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Borrow somebody elses' car or dealer's demo and see if you feel the that same symptoms. If you do, it's the road surface. If you don't, get the dealer involved in resolving this issue.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
179 Posts
Borrow somebody elses' car or dealer's demo and see if you feel the that same symptoms. If you do, it's the road surface. If you don't, get the dealer involved in resolving this issue.
Good advice. But if you have a dealer like mine, you will be forced to get SOA corporate to get involved.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts