Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 jeep cherokee.. want a subby for daily driver/playtoy.
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I'm Zack and i'm an 18 year old college student trying to get my degree in ministry. I am an avid outdoors guy. I go off roading in my 94 Jeep cherokee 4x4 all the time, tons of mods on it. When i'm not breaking it i'm fixing it, or kayaking. For a while I've wanted a vehicle with a little more fuel economy, but that would also be fun. The idea of a four wheel drive car, that would be fun on and offroadish, and get around 21 mpg appeals to me big time (the jeep gets around 14).
I love the look of the first generation Subaru outback, and would like to know anything I should about buying one. I know I want the sport edition with the scoop and what not. I've seen stuff about a 2.0 turbo model but can't seem to find any info on it. I'm interested in figuring out what my options are and would love some help! Thanks!

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
No turbo motors were offered around the generation - 1995-1999 - and Legacy/Outbacks never got Turbo's until like 2005.

The best vehicle you can get in my opinion is a 1996 Outback Manual trans. it's the only model outback that ever came with an EJ22 - one of Subaru's best motors ever. If you're worried about gas mileage due to costs then that's the cheapest motor to own too.

The EJ25D in Outbacks from 1996-1999 have headgasket issues and have a high rate (for Subarus) of lower end failures...probably due to the headgasket issue.

1996-1999 kind of sucks for buying Subaru's due to all the nicer models having the EJ25. But I favor reliability and can't have the symptoms they have for all the long distance traveling I do with family, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so a generation two would be a better choice?

·
Registered
2008 subaru outback 2.5i
472 Posts
Zackxj welcome from another xj owner, if you don't mind post up a pic of ur xj

Here is mine

It was my dd but with 4.88 gears I'm getting 8-10 in town and 13 highway so now its my toy and my subi is my dd and road trip vehicle

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is a fairly recent picture of my xj, it has just gotten a beefier 8.25 rear axle and it is currently awaiting a new transfer case, blew up both in one go. Nice to see a fellow xj owner :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts