• No, stay away!

Votes: 8 80.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2012 LTD 2.5i
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're considering purchasing our first Outback and have a slight hurdle we need to overcome. We have the opportunity to purchase a new Outback with relatively severe hail damage - of course the paint warrantee is gone, but otherwise it's like new. Paintless Dent Removal should do the trick but I'm not sure what to expect price wise and whether it's even worth trying. There are 2 spots that might need some touch up paint, but we'd be just fine with that, rather than a respray. The savings on the vehicle will be about $7k to $9k without repair - obviously we'll want to keep that number (savings) as high as possible.

I guess I have two questions:
  1. Is Subaru prone to paint issues, making the warrantee a must?
  2. Can anyone guestimate have a ballpark of what this kind of repair might cost?

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 3.6R Premium
1,104 Posts
PDR won't fix all that. I had a TSX that was beat up with similar hail damage a few years ago and they were saying the roof was going to have to be cut off and replaced and I forget what all else. SEVERAL thousand dollars in repairs and with all the "remove and replace" stuff they were talking about, I wasn't sure the car would be the same. So, I took the hit on the trade-in value and bought something else.

The ONLY way I MIGHT consider buying that Outback would be if I could take it to an independent body shop or two and get separate estimates on the work. I'd hate to have $7k knocked off the price and then find out "DOH! It's going to be $10k in repairs."

Myself, I would RUN, not walk, away from that Outback..

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium CVT PZEV
225 Posts
PDR definitely won't fix all of it - probably won't be able to do PDR near any of the corners/creases. I had a similar dent as in image #5 and the repair cost was $1200 for 1 dent!!! (that was the lowest estimate too!)

So, I agree with this...
Myself, I would RUN, not walk, away from that Outback..
Also, where are you located? Try your dealers Internet Sales Department - I saved roughly $5K using them!

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
You're going to need new body panels which is why it will be costly. If any of those dents have cracked paint that will in turn become rust. These are usually popular buys for guys that do their own body work. The labor is the real killer on this one.

Don't do it.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Heck Back in the late 80's I recall Toyota donating two brand new cars to my dads HS automotive group. The cars were hail damaged like the one in the picture. The toyota rep took a tour of the automotive class and curriculum and explained that any time Toyota had hail damage cars that had roof damage they couldn't sell them and they used these cars to support automotive training programs.

I have a hard time understanding why if the car is new subaru would sell it? My guess is that the dealer owns the car and its technically not new and is being sold by the dealer like a private party would sell a used car.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
The savings on the vehicle will be about $7k to $9k without repair
Savings compared to what? Typical OB selling prices are $3k-$5k below MSRP,
so $7k-$9k below MSRP is more like $3k-$4k below "street price." If you ever
want to sell/trade it, what do you think it'll be worth?

BTW, who is the owner, an insurance liquidator? Does it have a salvage title?

·
Registered
13 blk Outback 2.5i cvt AW package, bunch of other OEM accessories...12 blk F350 6.2 gasser 4x4...10 Goldwing red nav ...04 JD 4510 loader/bhoe
77 Posts
Ask yourself? Could you live with the damage not being fixed?
If so, buy it, make an offer 12k below sticker. Make sure all other warranties apply.

If you do buy it, you'll want to keep it for a long time, no resale value but, as far as transportation for a long time it will be fine.

We had a very severe hail storm here and one dealer sold all the cars at discount.i see those cars all around, they run great, you can park them anywhere without worrying about dents!!!:29:

Just get a great deal as all those cars have been paid for once now already.

Don't even try to fix those dents, think of them as art! Don't worry about rust , like why would rust even be an issue with all the dents.

You could have the entire car sprayed with rubber bed liner after a year is so and will last!:gasp:

·
Registered
2012 LTD 2.5i
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the feedback! Wow, what an amazing response. :)

I got a quote back from a dent guy who basically said; "I'm not doing that". $10k.

Not worth it for us. :(

I'll keep on looking, I'm sure we'll find something great.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback Wagon
154 Posts
I just can't understand why Subaru changed the body so drastically they look horrible...

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,378 Posts
Do you think it gets better gas mileage with all those dents, like dimples on a golf ball? Haha. Those cars got beat the heck up!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts