Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stock tires on the Outbacks, at least on my wife’s Onyx, are the 225 width versions. When it comes to replacements would there be any issues in going slightly wider to a 235 tire? Any clearance or calibration, vehicle sensor, etc. issues in doing so? If it wouldn’t hurt anything I’m thinking it might possibly offer better handling and/or traction, or at least not impair any of that.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
348 Posts
Purists will reject your proposal. That said, seems that the clearance between the rear tire and lower rear part of the wheel well is rather small. This area could be a collection area for snow/ice/mud. Also consider, the tire cables for snow may be a problem when installed on the recommended rear wheel locations. The front lock to lock turning clearance should be verified.

·
Registered
2020 Premium Autumn Green
55 Posts
The stock tires on the Outbacks, at least on my wife’s Onyx, are the 225 width versions. When it comes to replacements would there be any issues in going slightly wider to a 235 tire? Any clearance or calibration, vehicle sensor, etc. issues in doing so? If it wouldn’t hurt anything I’m thinking it might possibly offer better handling and/or traction, or at least not impair any of that.
I put 235/65/17 on mine, Falken Wildpeak AT Trail, and love them. No rubbing. They are about 1/2 inch taller overall, if I remember correctly, and my speedometer reads about 1 mph lower than my GPS speed. People ask if I have a lift, nope, just 235s!
208FCDDB-7315-4472-908C-5CA0F8B3C096.jpeg

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts