Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,227 Posts
The '02 WRX uses the same front & rear brake pads as my '03 Legacy L-SE so upgrades on either car (front 11.4" WRX rotors on a Legacy (10.7'ish") or 11.3" Rear Legacy rotors on a WRX (10.7'ish")) only require caliper brackets & rotors (assuming your pads & fluid are fresh/good quality).
then the OP's 2000 car can use a wrecked WRX as a donor too? cool

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,620 Posts
Breathing is improved, but isn't this the header that mounts close to the oil filter and makes it difficult to replace? I have never used one, but I read some threads that complained about a header manufactured that came too close to the oil filter. Just can't remember which one it was.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I had a Borla knockoff once on my '05 2.5i (same thing) and it was pretty sketchy quality. I had to unbolt my cat from the transmission bracket just to get the flanges to line up. A hammer was needed to get the two inlet flanges onto the cylinder heads.

It was a cheap part that wasn't built to very good tolerances at all and caused more headaches than it was worth. I could never fix the exhaust leaks it caused either. Such crap.

I would imagine the REAL Borla UEL header is a much better piece. It'll just cost you a couple hundred bucks.... and then at that point, is it really even worth it?

·
Registered
2003 Outback, 5 MT, 134K, HG changed.
184 Posts
Breathing is improved, but isn't this the header that mounts close to the oil filter and makes it difficult to replace? I have never used one, but I read some threads that complained about a header manufactured that came too close to the oil filter. Just can't remember which one it was.
It is close. As a matter of fact it coils around the filter, giving about an inch gap all around the filter. Filter replacement isn't much of an issue for me, as I always buy Purolator filters, and bought one of those socket cup thingies (whatever they are called) that go on the end of a 6 inch 1/4" driver extension. Works out fine.

·
Registered
2000 subaru outback limited
9 Posts
Has anyone else had problems with the install like burnout?? im considering getting one, but if I have to go through that much trouble i might just not. where did you get it from burnout??

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,620 Posts
Has anyone else had problems with the install like burnout?? im considering getting one, but if I have to go through that much trouble i might just not. where did you get it from burnout??
Any time you go with an aftermarket part that hasn't been "proven" before mass production, you get some error in application. Larger companies, like Borla, tend to insure that the part will fit proper.

·
Registered
2000 subaru outback limited
9 Posts
Any time you go with an aftermarket part that hasn't been "proven" before mass production, you get some error in application. Larger companies, like Borla, tend to insure that the part will fit proper.
Ok thanks much!!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts