Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

Have a new 2018 OB Limited 3.6R. It has the 8" Multimedia Nav system.

There are times when we don't want the radio to come on at vehicle startup. I know how to turn off the radio by holding down the volume control and it turns off the radio and screen. That part's OK. At that point I'd like to be able to turn off the vehicle and have have the radio off at the next car restart.

Upon vehicle start, I realize the nav system starts up automatically, but is there a way to keep the radio/media from starting up also? Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
As you just stated power off the radio prior than turning the Vehicle off. Do not over think this

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul

·
Registered
537 Posts
As you just stated power off the radio prior than turning the Vehicle off. Do not over think this

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul
On 2018 HU, radio starts again automatically when you turn car on. It is not like 2015-2017 HU where turning off radio before turning off the vehicle stops it from turning on again.

There's no known workaround for 2018 HU.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Just have it set to bluetooth audio when you shut it off but dont enable bluetooth on your phone. When you get in and start the car it will try to connect to bluetooth but won't be able to, so you won't hear anything. Convoluted way to just...welll,,,,turn the volume knob down when you get in. As a previous poster has touched on, don't overthink it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Turn volume to zero. Power off by pressing and holding the buttons for a few seconds. When you start the again the screen will be dark and the sound will be off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings,

Have a new 2018 OB Limited 3.6R. It has the 8" Multimedia Nav system.

There are times when we don't want the radio to come on at vehicle startup. I know how to turn off the radio by holding down the volume control and it turns off the radio and screen. That part's OK. At that point I'd like to be able to turn off the vehicle and have have the radio off at the next car restart.

Upon vehicle start, I realize the nav system starts up automatically, but is there a way to keep the radio/media from starting up also? Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave
We have the same issue with our 2018 OB. Very annoying. I had hoped the volume setting in the Sound Settings area was used as a default at startup. That way, you could set it to 0 ... alas, it appears that is simply a third way to change the volume though why any one would do it that way instead of using the knob or the steering wheel controls is beyond me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the same car in Touring trim. Turning the volume knob all the way to zero before shutting off the car is the only sure fire way to prevent it from playing music when you turn on the ignition. Good news is it works, wether you turn the screen off to black or not.

As an aside, the option to black out the screen is in no way an "off" setting. The system can not be turned off, period. The black screen will not prevent music from playing, in fact the volume knob still works to control the volume of whatever is playing while the screen is set to black.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, this is annoying. But it's nice to know that I'm not crazy or stupid. :)

I have the same car in Touring trim. Turning the volume knob all the way to zero before shutting off the car is the only sure fire way to prevent it from playing music when you turn on the ignition. Good news is it works, wether you turn the screen off to black or not.

As an aside, the option to black out the screen is in no way an "off" setting. The system can not be turned off, period. The black screen will not prevent music from playing, in fact the volume knob still works to control the volume of whatever is playing while the screen is set to black.

·
Registered
123 Posts
As stated in many other threads, the best workaround is to tune the radio to SiriusXM channel 0, which is silent. Set the #1 preset button to this channel by holding it in for a few seconds. If you normally listen to radio, always switch to preset #1 before you turn off the car. If you normally listen to CD or USB sources, just leave preset #1 engaged. You will get silence when you turn the car off, and when you restart it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
As stated in many other threads, the best workaround is to tune the radio to SiriusXM channel 0, which is silent. Set the #1 preset button to this channel by holding it in for a few seconds. If you normally listen to radio, always switch to preset #1 before you turn off the car. If you normally listen to CD or USB sources, just leave preset #1 engaged. You will get silence when you turn the car off, and when you restart it.
So far this has been the best workaround to keep the audio system quiet at startup.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If I can get into the habit it will have to be turning down the volume before switching off the car.
But honestly, what a clumsy way to keep your radio from yelling at you in the year 2018. I still think we should bomb Subaru with lots of email requests for this to fix with a software update.
Great car otherwise and really love it but stunned how Subaru's designers could mess up so big in such a basic issue. It doesn't seem that exotic a scenario to imagine that a user does not always want the radio to come on when starting to drive, does it? Oh well...

·
Registered
443 Posts
If I can get into the habit it will have to be turning down the volume before switching off the car.
But honestly, what a clumsy way to keep your radio from yelling at you in the year 2018. I still think we should bomb Subaru with lots of email requests for this to fix with a software update.
Great car otherwise and really love it but stunned how Subaru's designers could mess up so big in such a basic issue. It doesn't seem that exotic a scenario to imagine that a user does not always want the radio to come on when starting to drive, does it? Oh well...
What is most annoying is that I'm usually backing up when it comes on. And when backing up, the mute button doesn't work. It can be very distracting. I hope I don't accidentally run over some starving orphan waifs in wheelchairs because of the radio suddenly blaring.

·
Registered
168 Posts
What is most annoying is that I'm usually backing up when it comes on. And when backing up, the mute button doesn't work. It can be very distracting. I hope I don't accidentally run over some starving orphan waifs in wheelchairs because of the radio suddenly blaring.
Then the SOWWABS (Starving Orphan Waifs in Wheelchairs Automatic Braking System ) should kick in. :wink2:

Mute doesn't work when backing up? I'll have to try that one. I know the parking brake doesn't automatically disengage if your seat-belt isn't on; even in reverse where it's legal here to not be using a seat-belt.

What's even crazier is if you're listening to music on USB, switch off the ignition - now you're listening to the radio. Switch to accessory, and now the USB music continues from where it left off. Does the USB power go out when the ignition is off?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Oh yes, the backing up...
I ran into this too. When the rear camera comes onto the display the silent button does not work until you get out of backup gear. and if I'm not wrong even the volume can't be turned down In that phase. so if you ended your drive with beautiful loud mozart from your phone, you may be greeted with blarring radio ad noise until your done with backing up. Grrrrrrrr..... Who is that design intern that they let screw this up so badly?!

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
About this Discussion
101 Replies
64 Participants
walker
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing