Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 60 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
What's wrong with a radio that you turn on when you want it on, and you turn off when you want it off? Why does it come on when you start the car even if you turned it off before you turned the car off? Why does it stay on when you have already turned the motor off? What makes the engineers at Subaru think they know what we want our cars to do, instead of letting us control items like the radio on our cars the way we want to control them?

The only way I have found to get rid of the noise of the radio when starting the car is to turn the volume to zero before leaving the car the time before.

·
Registered
576 Posts
What's wrong with a radio that you turn on when you want it on, and you turn off when you want it off? Why does it come on when you start the car even if you turned it off before you turned the car off? Why does it stay on when you have already turned the motor off? What makes the engineers at Subaru think they know what we want our cars to do, instead of letting us control items like the radio on our cars the way we want to control them?
Because it's no longer a "radio" but an "infotainment head unit." Even though you might not want to hear the radio, you might want to use the navigation or read the text messages. so yeah, it turns "on" when you start the vehicle. It was a decision based on what they thought would be better for typical user. If they chose to not have the head unit turn on upon starting, I guarantee there would be a billion threads started here how stupid those Subaru engineers who couldn't figure out how to implement a simple thing like turning on the **** radio!

·
Registered
1 Posts
WOW, unbelievable that Subaru doesn't have a solution to such an annoying feature. Are we really living in 1018? or Can we get "any color we want, as long as it's black""

·
Registered
19 Posts
On my 2016 RAV4 the radio is awful, but it does not have they annoying "auto turn on" as Subaru.
It will remember the last On/Off state and the volume. Just like any other radio you would expect.
Also it will remember the type of media and where I stopped the music.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2018 Outback (my second Subaru) with same complaint - Starlink radio audio will NOT stay off even though the display screen WILL stay off. Very sloppy software work, Subaru!

Found this on the Impreza5.com website:

Quote:
"Originally Posted by DeanGibson View Post
What, you say, you don't have an AUX source? All the better. Just plug in a mini-stereo 3.5mm (1/8") stereo cable into the "AUX" input, and select that when you want to deselect other audio sources (like when you exit the vehicle). The other end of the cable need not be connected to anything. You can even just use a 3.5mm stereo plug."

So, I bought a 3.5mm stereo plug (no wire attached, about $1.00), plugged it into my AUX source, and sure enough it worked on my 2018 Outback Starlink system; radio stays off when car is turned off with the AUX source selected. No longer need to readjust audio level after starting the car. Operating with software version REL2.17.43.30, which supposedly is the latest as of August 2018. Thank you DeanGibson for that great work-around. Much better work-around than keeping the audio turned down to zero, in my humble opinion.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
I read same complaint on KIA. New way of infotainment thinking?
Or to the vast majority of drivers it is not a first world problem or even a problem at all. I've been driving 50+ years and have never once turned off the radio when exiting a vehicle. I fully expect it to be on when I start the vehicle.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I have a 2018 Outback (my second Subaru) with same complaint - Starlink radio audio will NOT stay off even though the display screen WILL stay off. Very sloppy software work, Subaru!

Found this on the Impreza5.com website:

Quote:
"Originally Posted by DeanGibson View Post
What, you say, you don't have an AUX source? All the better. Just plug in a mini-stereo 3.5mm (1/8") stereo cable into the "AUX" input, and select that when you want to deselect other audio sources (like when you exit the vehicle). The other end of the cable need not be connected to anything. You can even just use a 3.5mm stereo plug."

So, I bought a 3.5mm stereo plug (no wire attached, about $1.00), plugged it into my AUX source, and sure enough it worked on my 2018 Outback Starlink system; radio stays off when car is turned off with the AUX source selected. No longer need to readjust audio level after starting the car. Operating with software version REL2.17.43.30, which supposedly is the latest as of August 2018. Thank you DeanGibson for that great work-around. Much better work-around than keeping the audio turned down to zero, in my humble opinion.
I did the software upgrade & if I turn my radio off before exiting, the radio stays off next trip. Does this radio on all the time happen when using other software like Navigation, Pandora, Aha or Bluetooth? I use Android Auto with Waze through a USB cable but I don't use much else. I'm pretty OK with the 8" screen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
During the first service on my 2019 Crosstrek Limited, I asked if there was a SW fix to this annoying problem. They installed SW Version 4.18.11.50, Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 15-236-18. This DOES NOT fix the problem!

Summarizing the Infotainment System operation when the engine is started... The volume is returned to the last setting, including before the the System was "Muted" (brief push of the Volume knob). If you press the Volume knob for maybe 5 seconds, the System goes "Off", and it stays "Off" when you start the vehicle.

What makes this SOOO Annoying is it takes perhaps 10 seconds for the processor in the Infotainment System to boot up, before it gets around to checking if you're pushing the Volume knob, to "Mute" the sound, or are trying to turn the volume level down.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Not a problem a design feature

:grin2:
During the first service on my 2019 Crosstrek Limited, I asked if there was a SW fix to this annoying problem. They installed SW Version 4.18.11.50, Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 15-236-18. This DOES NOT fix the problem!

Summarizing the Infotainment System operation when the engine is started... The volume is returned to the last setting, including before the the System was "Muted" (brief push of the Volume knob). If you press the Volume knob for maybe 5 seconds, the System goes "Off", and it stays "Off" when you start the vehicle.

What makes this SOOO Annoying is it takes perhaps 10 seconds for the processor in the Infotainment System to boot up, before it gets around to checking if you're pushing the Volume knob, to "Mute" the sound, or are trying to turn the volume level down.
Takes a period of time for entertainment unit to start up, patience my boy!!!

:smile2:

·
Registered
62 Posts
this works: set the radio to Sirius channel "0". then the radio will always be silent, no need to do anything else.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Unplugging USB from Phone Causes Jump to Radio

Yep. It will come back on in acc mode. When you turn the car off everything goes off except the radio will continue for about 5 minutes, or until you open the driver's door. But Bluetooth remains connected during that time as well, as I've had music/Pandora streaming from my phone and it will continue playing when the engine it turned off.
So if I turn my car on and am listening to a Podcast through Bluetooth it will connect and play just fine. Then I plug in my USB to hook up CarPlay and it automatically switches over and continues playing the Podcast just fine. I can even turn my car off and it will kick back to Bluetooth and keep playing. BUT, if I unplug my phone with the car on or off, it will dump to the Radio source (FM, AM, SXM whichever was last selected) instead of going back to Bluetooth.

Anyone have this problem or find a solution?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Software Update by Subaru Corrects Radio Problems

Software version REL_UO.18.43.20 takes care of the problem of the Starlink radio audio not staying off even though the display screen was staying off. It is a good fix.

Subaru updated the software in our 2018 Outback about 2 months (Feb 2019) ago and so far everything works good, no problems. If Subaru hasn't yet updated your software, it is worth the effort.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just tossing this out there as my fiance just ordered a new Limited 3.6. She rarely listens to the radio and we ordered this without the option 24 so no NAV
Can you totally turn off the display so it's just blank? Didn't think to even try this but having the display on all the time is sort of annoying.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Press the volume button and ...HOLD.
The screen shuts off and won't start on ignition, until you push the volume button again. So POWER OFF is PRESS/hold, POWER ON. is press to start radio/screen apps.

Wife found this in the Ownres Manual...😆

·
Registered
72 Posts
Did this on my 2019 Limited based on this post
Couldn't store the station on my wife's 2017 Limited.
Don't know if I screwed something up but she just has to leave it on the XM source.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've been told the only way is to turn the volume down before shutting off the car. this won't stop the radio from starting when you switch the car back on, but at least you won't hear it. This is about the only way I've found.

similarly, it's pretty annoying how when playing audio via CarPlay and you unplug or switch off the engine it suddenly switches back to the radio at a totally different volume....

41 - 60 of 102 Posts
About this Discussion
101 Replies
64 Participants
walker
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing