Subaru Outback Forums banner

61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
The headunit firmware update fixed this problem in my 2018 Outback 2.5 Limited. However, I still do the same thing I was doing before the firmware update: I turn the volume knob to zero before I turn off the car. When I start the car up again, the volume is still at zero.

This is better than shutting off the headunit because turning down the volume (1) takes about a half second, (2) can be done via the steering wheel controls if I am too lazy to reach over to the knob, and (3) allows me to see what is playing before I turn the volume up after startup. This last advantage is handy when my 8-year-old daughter is in the car.

Anybody who is complaining about this problem has not tried the volume down method. For me, it is a complete solution, better than shutting off the headunit. Like I said above, I can do either, and I choose to turn the volume to zero.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Press the volume button and ...HOLD.
The screen shuts off and won't start on ignition, until you push the volume button again. So POWER OFF is PRESS/hold, POWER ON. is press to start radio/screen apps.

Wife found this in the Ownres Manual...😆
IT WORKS!!!
Thank you!
Sending positive greetings from the Jersey Shore!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Doesn't work for the 2019 Outback.
Hey Meeps, hope all is good!

I've got a '19 OB and I turn down the volume, hold the button in for 2-3 seconds and the screen goes black. When I start the car, the screen is still black so I press the volume/power button and the head unit turns on. Make sure you are holding the button in long enough.

Good luck from the soggy and dreary Jersey Shore!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Think this might be in this thread somewhere but the solution was to select channel 0 on SXM which is the radio code display
There will be no sound when you start up.
In my 2019 Limited I could store in preset 1.
On my wife's 2017 it would allow it to be stored but it still worked when you selected SXM

·
Registered
26 Posts
This radio issue is so annoying. I just sent a complaint to Subaru America online here asking for a software fix for this.
If enough users email about this perhaps they'll include it in an update.
Submit here in the email form:
https://www.subaru.com/customer-support.html
This is an issue on the 19s too. It is the biggest complaint I have about my 19 OB. DUMB design.

·
Registered
576 Posts
If the volume is too loud at startup, you were probably playing it too loud.

·
Registered
8 Posts
First, let me say that this forum has beed a great resource and I thank everyone for all the knowledge and community you provide. Now, for my rant..

I have read through this entire thread in disbelief. How can there be 4 pages of fanboys defending such a ridiculous system?

To recap: (2019 model for me): turn engine on - radio blasts at a random volume. This happens even if the radio was off, muted, or playing a different source when the car was turned off. When listening to anything other than radio, and the engine is turned off - source is switched to radio, then volume is set at random volume until the driver's door is opened.

This is a major flaw in the system. Sorry, turning volume to 0, setting SiriusXM to station 0, buying aux input ports, are not fixes. This behavior is also not normal. If I was playing music from a USB source, the radio should be in that USB source when turned back on, with the volume back to where it was. No excuses. Even my old $200 BOSS aftermarket head unit did this, even the radio from a 1992 Impreza did this (and still functions like this, after decades of use).

Quit pretending this is not a real issue. If my radio was off WHILE DRIVING, it should not turn itself back on because I made the mistake of turning the engine off before opening a door! Seriously, can anyone explain why when I turn the engine off I should be at the ready to mute the radio because it will turn itself back on as if being possessed by SiriusXM?

Are you expecting me to always have to turn back to Sirius XM station 0 after listening to FM to keep this from happening? This is ridiculous.

Is it a lot of work turning the volume to 0 every **** time I need to turn the engine off? No. But neither is sending an issue report https://www.subaru.com/customer-support.html

Most importantly, why did I pay over $2k for this? This is a software glitch and a serious one, when that button breaks because it’s been used more than designed, you go ahead and drive a car everywhere with ads from Sirius XM blasting everywhere you drive and pretend it’s a first world problem. These cars should be functional 20 years from now, and having to have these ridiculous workarounds because the company you put on a pedestal should not have to spend 15 minutes fixing a software bug is ridiculous.

If you all fanboys love Subaru so much, do us all a favor and complain about this. Subaru can’t fix the problem if they don’t know about and this can be resolved with a simple software update. Workarounds should not be a solution to a brand new vehicle with a problem that has been around for 4 years. Workarounds are just that, workarounds, the software needs to be fixed.

·
Registered
211 Posts

Quit pretending this is not a real issue.
I believe it's one's perspective that justifies whether something is a real "issue" or not. Perhaps I am mistaken but my '19 doesn't seem to do this, or I have never noticed. I must admit that I haven't yet read this whole thread but I'm sure if there was something that was not working as it should you would take your car back to the dealer for their input. My Smartfortwo starts at "11" even though I set it to restart at the last volume setting. Dam annoying when I move it after my daughter has driven it!

I will join you in that there are a lot of "features" I could do without and just turning them off each and every time I start the car is ridiculous.

Still not sure if "Fanboy" is complimentary or an insult.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
First, let me say that this forum has beed a great resource and I thank everyone for all the knowledge and community you provide. Now, for my rant..

I have read through this entire thread in disbelief. How can there be 4 pages of fanboys defending such a ridiculous system?

To recap: (2019 model for me): turn engine on - radio blasts at a random volume. This happens even if the radio was off, muted, or playing a different source when the car was turned off. When listening to anything other than radio, and the engine is turned off - source is switched to radio, then volume is set at random volume until the driver's door is opened.

This is a major flaw in the system. Sorry, turning volume to 0, setting SiriusXM to station 0, buying aux input ports, are not fixes. This behavior is also not normal. If I was playing music from a USB source, the radio should be in that USB source when turned back on, with the volume back to where it was. No excuses. Even my old $200 BOSS aftermarket head unit did this, even the radio from a 1992 Impreza did this (and still functions like this, after decades of use).

Quit pretending this is not a real issue. If my radio was off WHILE DRIVING, it should not turn itself back on because I made the mistake of turning the engine off before opening a door! Seriously, can anyone explain why when I turn the engine off I should be at the ready to mute the radio because it will turn itself back on as if being possessed by SiriusXM?

Are you expecting me to always have to turn back to Sirius XM station 0 after listening to FM to keep this from happening? This is ridiculous.

Is it a lot of work turning the volume to 0 every **** time I need to turn the engine off? No. But neither is sending an issue report https://www.subaru.com/customer-support.html

Most importantly, why did I pay over $2k for this? This is a software glitch and a serious one, when that button breaks because it’s been used more than designed, you go ahead and drive a car everywhere with ads from Sirius XM blasting everywhere you drive and pretend it’s a first world problem. These cars should be functional 20 years from now, and having to have these ridiculous workarounds because the company you put on a pedestal should not have to spend 15 minutes fixing a software bug is ridiculous.

If you all fanboys love Subaru so much, do us all a favor and complain about this. Subaru can’t fix the problem if they don’t know about and this can be resolved with a simple software update. Workarounds should not be a solution to a brand new vehicle with a problem that has been around for 4 years. Workarounds are just that, workarounds, the software needs to be fixed.
Wow, how long did it take you to write that? The total time I have spent over the last two years turning down the volume knob is less than the time it took you to write that post.

I can turn down the volume knob in 0.13 seconds. And then guess what? The volume is still at zero when I turn on the car.

Anyway, there is a firmware fix for the 2018, and there definitely will be (or there currently is) a firmware fix for the 2019. Until you get the firmware fix, see if you can beat my personal record for turning down the volume.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This happens in my 2019 Outback 2.5i. I'm going to use the Preset 0 method to "solve" it. It also happens in my wife's Mercedes GL400 and my father's Porsche Panamera.

My guess - and it's only a guess - is that the system needs to be on for some of the warnings in place for legal liability reasons, displayed whenever the car is started.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow, how long did it take you to write that? The total time I have spent over the last two years turning down the volume knob is less than the time it took you to write that post.
Took me less time to write that post than all the ridiculous replies repeating the same "fix" and stating that people should just accept it for what it is. Notice my post was not about the entertainment issues, but the attitude others have towards people having problems. Telling someone to live with it is not helpful, and pretending the issue doesn't exist just because you found a workaround is just as bad.

I will join you in that there are a lot of "features" I could do without and just turning them off each and every time I start the car is ridiculous.

Still not sure if "Fanboy" is complimentary or an insult.
Thanks for the reasonable reply. It seems to only affect the navigation units.

As far as "fanboy", it was just that, a person who's a fan. Did not mean anything by it. I don't understand how easily people accept having to work for their technology as opposed to having the technology work for them.

This happens in my 2019 Outback 2.5i. I'm going to use the Preset 0 method to "solve" it. It also happens in my wife's Mercedes GL400 and my father's Porsche Panamera.

My guess - and it's only a guess - is that the system needs to be on for some of the warnings in place for legal liability reasons, displayed whenever the car is started.
That is concerning. I have a cheap VW and none of this nonsense happens. Whatever the source I have the system set to (and volume) that's what it comes back to.

The entertainment system needs to be on, yes. However, the issue here is the incessant switch of source to radio and then turning the volume up. If I had the system in USB mode, it should not switch to radio because I turned the engine off. Worse, it should not turn into radio when turning the car back on...especially after the wife drove it and set the volume to 11 as others noted.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Tonight I found that I can turn the system off completely by holding down the on/off knob for a few seconds, just as others have suggested. The screen goes dark and stays off upon restart unless I turn it back on.

61 - 80 of 102 Posts
About this Discussion
101 Replies
64 Participants
walker
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing