Subaru Outback Forums banner

81 - 100 of 102 Posts

Registered
Took me less time to write that post than all the ridiculous replies repeating the same "fix" and stating that people should just accept it for what it is. Notice my post was not about the entertainment issues, but the attitude others have towards people having problems. Telling someone to live with it is not helpful, and pretending the issue doesn't exist just because you found a workaround is just as bad.

Thanks for the reasonable reply. It seems to only affect the navigation units.

As far as "fanboy", it was just that, a person who's a fan. Did not mean anything by it. I don't understand how easily people accept having to work for their technology as opposed to having the technology work for them.

That is concerning. I have a cheap VW and none of this nonsense happens. Whatever the source I have the system set to (and volume) that's what it comes back to.

The entertainment system needs to be on, yes. However, the issue here is the incessant switch of source to radio and then turning the volume up. If I had the system in USB mode, it should not switch to radio because I turned the engine off. Worse, it should not turn into radio when turning the car back on...especially after the wife drove it and set the volume to 11 as others noted.
I guess I have to be the one to inform you: we are not Subaru. We are all customers just like you. We are here to discuss DIY solutions. We cannot fix your head unit. Also, getting mad and complaining will do nothing here. We are not Subaru.

You have heard all the known DIY solutions, but you still want other customers to be pissed off about this minor issue. I am not pissed even a little. The volume-to-zero is a complete solution that is faster than turning off the headunit, and that method also works on my OB. I choose not to turn off the headunit because it is slower.

Registered
I guess I have to be the one to inform you: we are not Subaru. We are all customers just like you. We are here to discuss DIY solutions. We cannot fix your head unit. Also, getting mad and complaining will do nothing here. We are not Subaru.

You have heard all the known DIY solutions, but you still want other customers to be pissed off about this minor issue. I am not pissed even a little. The volume-to-zero is a complete solution that is faster than turning off the headunit, and that method also works on my OB. I choose not to turn off the headunit because it is slower.
This is another one of those things that I wouldn't even know was a problem until someone here told me it was a problem.馃槃

I listen to the radio every time I drive the car. I'm happy that it is already on for me the next time I get in the car. It's like my Subaru is reading my mind and anticipating what I want. It's even on a station that I like.

Maybe I am Subaru.

Registered
I haven鈥檛 been following this thread and little things certainly annoy me sometimes but I鈥檓 also not aware of this being a problem on my 2018 nav unit. I have a habit of turning car radios down to low volume right before shutdown on any car I drive. I think it鈥檚 instinctive because I don鈥檛 like getting startled by high volume when I start a car.

Registered
For me, it's a case of wanting to hear the engine when it first starts up. In those first few seconds, the last thing I want to hear is the radio. Just a habit I got into over a 40+ year career driving tractor-trailer. If my OB had an actual oil pressure gauge, my eyes would be glued to it during engine start up.

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread about pressing and holding the volume control knob to turn off the radio. I just went out to the garage and tested that out and it works. Essentially, when you just tap the volume control knob to turn the radio off, you're just putting it to sleep. Much like a cell phone. When you tap it again, or turn the ignition to ACC or ON, the radio wakes up. However, if you press and hold the button for about 2 seconds, the radio shuts down and the display goes black. This works if the ignition is in ACC, ON, or if the car is running. When you turn the ignition off, the radio will remain off. When you turn the ignition to ACC, ON, or start the engine again the radio will continue to remain off until you physically press the volume control knob again. Now that, I can handle. :)

This is applicable to the 2019 OB Limited btw.

Registered
I haven鈥檛 been following this thread and little things certainly annoy me sometimes but I鈥檓 also not aware of this being a problem on my 2018 nav unit. I have a habit of turning car radios down to low volume right before shutdown on any car I drive. I think it鈥檚 instinctive because I don鈥檛 like getting startled by high volume when I start a car.
You鈥檙e describing exactly how the unit should work. Except the thing you鈥檙e not noticing is that every time the engine is turned on or off, the source is switched to Radio. That means for all of us using any audio source other radio we get switched to radio automatically. This happens every. Time. The. Engine. Is. Turned. On or off. Yes, every time.

What that looks like in real life: podcasts app is paused, so the car is quiet. I turn off the engine and the source switches to radio - the volume is not down because audio was paused. Now I get startled by FM radio or Sirius depending on the last Radio station used.

Imagine every time the blinkers were used the stereo turned off, you came for advice and all you got was 鈥渄on鈥檛 overthink this, just keep the radio off at all times and the car will work fine鈥. That鈥檚 basically what we鈥檙e dealing with here.

Regardless, there鈥檚 another post with over 2k replies of people actually trying to solve the issues and properly reporting them to Subaru. The issue still has not been corrected.

Again, my peeve here is the incessant repeating of the same workarounds and no one seems to think this should be considered a problem or that Subaru should know about this - so they could remedy the issue.

Registered
You鈥檙e describing exactly how the unit should work. Except the thing you鈥檙e not noticing is that every time the engine is turned on or off, the source is switched to Radio. That means for all of us using any audio source other radio we get switched to radio automatically. This happens every. Time. The. Engine. Is. Turned. On or off. Yes, every time.

What that looks like in real life: podcasts app is paused, so the car is quiet. I turn off the engine and the source switches to radio - the volume is not down because audio was paused. Now I get startled by FM radio or Sirius depending on the last Radio station used.

Imagine every time the blinkers were used the stereo turned off, you came for advice and all you got was 鈥渄on鈥檛 overthink this, just keep the radio off at all times and the car will work fine鈥. That鈥檚 basically what we鈥檙e dealing with here.

Regardless, there鈥檚 another post with over 2k replies of people actually trying to solve the issues and properly reporting them to Subaru. The issue still has not been corrected.

Again, my peeve here is the incessant repeating of the same workarounds and no one seems to think this should be considered a problem or that Subaru should know about this - so they could remedy the issue.
You are not listening at all. There are regular updates to firmware that fix this problem. Not everybody has the problem you describe. Your head unit must be part of a lot that needs a firmware update. This has been said several times, but you are still acting like everybody needs to be pissed that your head unit is not working right. Did you read and understand what I just wrote? Yes or no.

Registered
There is an option for the HU to automatically play a usb file. Not sure if that would make a difference or even if it applies to this situation.

Registered
Nothing seems to aggravate me more than getting in everyone of my Subaru鈥檚 and having the same issue. Especially since i start my cars multiple times a day. Terrible feature

Registered
I am not aware of a firmware update to solve this issue. However, we just turn the volume down to 5 before shutting the engine off. A little inconvenience, not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. It would be nice if Subaru updates this in the future.

Registered
I am not aware of a firmware update to solve this issue. However, we just turn the volume down to 5 before shutting the engine off. A little inconvenience, not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. It would be nice if Subaru updates this in the future.
A firmware update at the dealer solved this 鈥減roblem鈥 on my 2018 OB 2.5. It was literally on the list of problems solved via the firmware update. The 2019 will have (or already has) a similar firmware update. The firmware update for my 2018 OB was likely issued after most of the 2019 OBs were already assembled.

Registered
Alrighty, some updates. There's a firmware update as of 08/19/19, it fixes many problems, and adds one annoyance. I have received feedback from Subaru on this issue and I finally figured out what is wrong.

A long time ago, a product manager at subaru agreed to have accessories turn off when the engine is turned off. This was a simple solution to prevent battery drain should the driver leave something plugged into the cigarette lighter, and subsequently the USB port (though it'd take a LONG time to drain a battery via USB). Anyway, a separate product manager decided that every time a source is unplugged or lost signal, the head unit should switch sources and keep the tunes playing - god forbid having a momentary silence while the driver figures out what happened!

Fast forward to present day, when the USB port is the main source of entertainment to anyone born less than 50 years ago and we have a big issue in our hands. You see, when the engine is turned off, the USB port loses power. That, makes the Apple CarPlay/Android Auto/jump drive/8 track/turn table that is connected to USB get disconnected from the entertainment center. Couple that with the decision that music should be playing at all times and you get the clusterf*** we have today.

No amount of firmware updates will completely resolve the issue because this is baked into the hardware. That's why if you plug something into the aux-in port you don't have this problem present itself - the aux-in doesn't require external power as it's an input source connected directly to the head unit.

The best Subaru can do is make the unit go silent when a source is lost to fix the problem at engine off. To make things more interesting, the latest firmware update also makes is automatically play whatever is plugged into USB. This "fixes" the issue at startup, as long as you connect your phone/drive/turn table/ 8 track BEFORE you turn on the engine, by sending a signal to automatically play from USB whenever USB is connected. It will "fix" the issue of Sirius/FM starting on it's own by forcing the head unit to play your USB source.

If only back in the 90's someone had made these cars keep the accessories on until the driver door is open like so many other cars. And now you know why Product Managers that can see into the future are so valuable!

Premium Member
I took my new 2019 in for her first oil change. I told the service manager about my frustration with the radio coming on at start-up and he told me many customers have this same complaint. He said no firmware update available to solve this and suggested I turn down the volume at shutdown. This is what I have been doing. I love the car so I will live with this one annoyance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Registered
I took my new 2019 in for her first oil change. I told the service manager about my frustration with the radio coming on at start-up and he told me many customers have this same complaint. He said no firmware update available to solve this and suggested I turn down the volume at shutdown. This is what I have been doing. I love the car so I will live with this one annoyance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Firmware was release a few days ago: https://subaru-maps.com

Registered
Does this update work with 2019 outback limited without NAV ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
well, the update at subaru-maps is only for the "high" update files (There are 3 sets of files, 4 radio units). The only one you can get through subaru-maps is the one with navigation (high). The TSB states that it only applies to the units with navigation, although you would have to check with a service department to see if there is a set of update files they have for the other levels of head unit (the instructions for the dealership in the TSB indicate that there are updates for all head units - the TSBs aren't always the best written documents).

many of the fixes have nothing to do with navigation.

NOTE: the picture is representative only because the TSB is for multiple vehicles, not just the outback.

81 - 100 of 102 Posts
About this Discussion
101 Replies
64 Participants
walker
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing