Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Outback Limited, Dual Range 5 Speed
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys hope someone can help, I would like to make a tool to install the cam seals on my SOHC, I have the pipe fittings.

I just need someone who has the Subaru tool to give me the depth from the flange to the seal face so I can cut the fitting to the right depth.

Thanx in advance.

·
Registered
Looking into purchasing a 3rd gen Outback.
41 Posts
Hi guys hope someone can help, I would like to make a tool to install the cam seals on my SOHC, I have the pipe fittings.

I just need someone who has the Subaru tool to give me the depth from the flange to the seal face so I can cut the fitting to the right depth.

Thanx in advance.
New to Subaru here and without the official Subaru tool, so I may not understand it all. Are you working from this video?

I'm glad to see there are videos around on how to build your own seal tools using PVC.

I've been using a PVC coupling with pipe in install a CV axle seal into my other vehicles where the seal is extremely hard to reach. When I got the ideal to use a PVC coupling I just took a seal to the hardware store and found the best match.

·
Registered
95 Legacy EJ22 5MT, 98 Legacy EJ22 5MT, 99 Legacy Outback EJ25 4EAT "Agent 99", 01 Forester EJ25 4EAT
496 Posts
Youtube instructional videos were placed on earth by Satan himself. I hate them like cancer. Ten minutes of the most pedantic tedium imaginable from someone I want to crack over the head with a 1/2" ratchet just for wearing those stupid purple mirror shades on-camera and speaking with that choppy cadence, when it takes less than ten seconds to say "Use 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" PVC pipe plugs" - though I did find the trip to the hardware store in all its agonizing detail to be an unexpected thrill. And don't get me started on the degree of mental illness that's clearly indicated by the sterile workspace, with every tool hanging perfectly in its allotted location. Someone should check to see if he's got a collection of body parts (and I don't mean "auto") in the freezer.

Besides, is there anyone here who doesn't just use big sockets for doing stuff like this?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, I have seen that video but also it was mentioned on here about using pipe but being I’m in aus with metric fittings I’ve found something close, just need to know the depth on the subie tool to know where to cut the fitting for correct depth.

·
Registered
95 Legacy EJ22 5MT, 98 Legacy EJ22 5MT, 99 Legacy Outback EJ25 4EAT "Agent 99", 01 Forester EJ25 4EAT
496 Posts
What's wrong with "just tap it down until it's flush"? I mean, I'm a huge tool queen (no, don't read it that way), but this is about the last place I'd pine for a specialized tool, even if it is a cheap hack. Top of my list for working on these things would be buying/making proper wrenches for the timing sprockets, which are a much bigger PITA than a cam seal could ever be. That, and a little better puller for piston/rod pins than the one I just hacked up for taking apart my EJ25D.

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,173 Posts
If the SCH40 pipe cap works, go with it. Simple, cheap, and readily available locally. I'm about to replace the cam seals on my '01, and will be stopping by Lowes shortly ( with the new seal in my pocket) to see how close a match ithe ID and OD are.

If not, I'll spend a few minutes turning one up from some spare alu scrap.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The thing is those seals are not supposed to go all the way in, just sit level with the back edge of the shampher. Hense why I’m asking about the depth.

I have limited time to do the timing belt job and looking at any way I can speed the process up and don’t want to stuff around with tapping it in with an extension or socket constantly checking to see if I’ve gone to far. Also not very easy to do with the engine in the car, first timing belt job was done with motor out and had plenty of time to do it.

So no one has the measurement for me.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Okay, let's see if we can get through this. I see the source of your frustration: The TSM says "use our installation tool" and Haynes says "push the seal in as far as the old one was". Nobody actually gives a measurement.

It appears I was wrong when I previously said "flush with front surface", because that's a pretty deep chamfer. Taking a look at the busted EJ25 I just pulled (and believing that this seal hasn't been messed with since it left the factory), the front of the seal is pushed in a little further than the back edge of the chamfer, or about 3.5mm from the front surface of the head. It's hard to get a good measurement because the seal material is soft and every time the caliper pushes against it, it depresses a little differently.

·
Registered
2003 Outback, 2.5L EJ251 engine, 193K miles
27 Posts
I just used a socket the same size as the cam seal and tapped it right into place. Easy peazy. When completed the cam seal was in the exact same position as the one removed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts