Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my first subura which will be used for sporting activities (fishing, skiing, hanging with my dog) but not necessarily for off road adventures. Are there certain years that have more mechanical problems than other years? Is the turbo more prone to repairs? I know these cars are well built but is there a certain mileage level to avoid (>150K)? I have been scanning craigs list for 2008-2001 models. Since this will be a second car, i want to spend less 9K. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I second the newer is better comment. However, if the head gaskets and timing belt were just replaced, I would consider that into the decision.

Good luck! The used car market is crazy right now.

·
Registered
246 Posts
If you are considering spending $9,000. Why not get a 2000 $1,500 Outback with say a blown motor, pay $1000 for it to be rebuilt then you have an engine with zero miles, then at the same time spend $600? for a new clutch. And dump in another $1,000 for new rotors and pads, and then get it detailed inside and out so it looks brand new. Then you've got pretty much a built proof car for around $4,000, that you could easily sell for what you've got into it a few years from now.

If you don't want to take the risk, I'd say get the lowest mileage you can. I've seen 2004 Outbacks with 50k miles go for right under $9,000 and that car will last you a long time. BUT then once the body style changes for 2005, you've got 150k cars going for the same price. Vermont pricing -

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
Braap
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing