Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Subaru 2005 outback
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone so I have a question 🙋‍♂️ I never really received a clear answer for a beginner.
I am looking to get that aggressive look when it comes to wheels and tires. I don’t know what it’s called but I believe it’s a tired or wheel that sticks out of the wheel well . Actually making the car wider. I don’t what that is called. Offset maybe.
What are some ideas 💡 I could do so I can purchase the right tire and rim.
I have a 2005 Outback and adf multi link kit 2 in the front 2 and holf in the back
Do I have to do something special to the car.
Also just got new kyb struts all around. Wanting to invest in the beefiest tire I can get lol ? And this offset thing which means get some wheels I believe ? Please let me know 🙂
Like the photo I’d like something rugged looking like that

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
14,469 Posts
OE specs for your wheels are at https://www.wheel-size.com/size/subaru/outback/2005/

You might have 16" or 17" wheels, 5x100mm bolt pattern, 48mm offset, 56.1mm center bore.

A smaller offset, like 40mm will make the wheels stick out further, but the further you stray from stock offset the more strain it puts on the wheel bearings and it could affect handling of the car, so don't overdo it. Some people put in spacers but it's far better to just get wheels with the offset you want. Spacers can put more strain on the studs and now you have four mating surfaces instead of two.

If you can find a wheel with a 30mm offset that's the most I would go - that would make the wheel stick out about 3/4" from where it is now.

Then if you get a wider tire with a sidewall 1/2" wider then it will add another 1/4" to the outside and you'll now have tires sticking out 1" from where it is currently.

Big beefy tires are also heavy so that will cause the car to have less acceleration, braking, fuel economy, and steering responsiveness - there is no free lunch but it's your car and you can do what you want with it - just realize that every change you make has a consequence, good or bad.

·
Registered
Subaru 2005 outback
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OE specs for your wheels are at Subaru Outback 2005 - Wheel & Tire Sizes, PCD, Offset and Rims specs

You might have 16" or 17" wheels, 5x100mm bolt pattern, 48mm offset, 56.1mm center bore.

A smaller offset, like 40mm will make the wheels stick out further, but the further you stray from stock offset the more strain it puts on the wheel bearings and it could affect handling of the car, so don't overdo it. Some people put in spacers but it's far better to just get wheels with the offset you want. Spacers can put more strain on the studs and now you have four mating surfaces instead of two.

If you can find a wheel with a 30mm offset that's the most I would go - that would make the wheel stick out about 3/4" from where it is now.

Then if you get a wider tire with a sidewall 1/2" wider then it will add another 1/4" to the outside and you'll now have tires sticking out 1" from where it is currently.

Big beefy tires are also heavy so that will cause the car to have less acceleration, braking, fuel economy, and steering responsiveness - there is no free lunch but it's your car and you can do what you want with it - just realize that every change you make has a consequence, good or bad.
Thank you that was beautifully said Iam convinced lol yea no free lunch I’ll have to meditate on the decisions

·
Registered
55 Posts
I’m about a week or two from installing a set of Sparco Terra 16x7 +35mm offset with bf Goodrich k02 215/65-16s. I have the 1.3” lift from primitive racing. I bought the last full set of Sparco Terra wheels they had a month or so ago. Tires came into my shop and just trying to get new front control arms, sway bars, and kta124 rear camber toe set before I put these wheels on and straight to alignment shop. I wouldn’t get wheels that stick out too far. Not only the other issues but you will be slinging mud and rocks down the side of the car.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,499 Posts
You can use wheel spacers and decide how much you want the wheel to be pushed out based on the thickness of the spacer. My 06 BAJA has 1.5" spacers that also allow for the Jeep wheels to be on the car by changing the bolt spacing from 5x100 to 5x114. Another advantage to wheel spacers is it moves the wheel away from the hub and brakes which means no brake dust on the rims.

Wheel Car Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire

This is 5x100 - 5x100 with correct hubcentric for Subaru and 1.5". They have upto 2". You can search other manufacturers/suppliers, I just picked the most convenient.

·
Premium Member
16,499 Posts
That is a mean looking Baja! Nice rig.
That BAJA has been upgraded to a frankenstein EJ257. The car on the right of that truck is my supercharged VDC, about 450 HP off the crank. The gold one in the street is my Outback R sedan, 3.0R. There's also an 05 BAJA and an 11 Outback 2.5 that wasn't there the day I took that pic. 1963 Ford truck is in the garage.

I have plenty of wheels.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
14,469 Posts
Just so you know, Cardoc is a mechanic that works on cars every day so there's two things to know:

When he does something, he knows how to do it right, and if anything goes wrong he can fix it himself.

Reactions: Je9999 and cardoc

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
14,469 Posts
I can disagree with Cardoc but I'm not a mechanic and my bias is towards only doing things that I know I can do competently and not get over my head and end up with problems I can't solve myself. That's why I have no qualms warning people about not using spacers - sure they can be used safely and effectively, but they can also be done wrong, there are more parts to fail, and it does cause more strain on bearings, which I wouldn't want to have to pay someone else to replace for me. Doesn't mean that I'm contradicting Cardoc. That's why context is important.

edit: Just want to add that I have the utmost respect for Cardoc and would trust him 100% if he were the one working on my car. That doesn't mean I would do those things myself or let someone else do those things to my car. It's also different if you have half a dozen cars to drive and can afford downtime on any of them, vs having only one daily driver that downtime would be a giant pain and you don't have a trusted mechanic to take care of it competently and economically.

Reactions: cardoc

·
Premium Member
16,499 Posts
Everything and anything done to a car to make it perform better, look better, ride different, comes with a price. The owner needs to accept that these costs are an end result to the choices made.

I went into a build to prove a point about forced induction on a high compression engine. It was a science experiment on top of that and it was alot of headaches along the way with the roadblocks we had to overcome, mostly with the computer. The car has been successful, it's run alot of miles, 54k-ish, and is a joy to drive. The transmission has been the ONE thing that has been a major PITA from the start. My resolution to this is to have a 5 speed sequential built for the car; maybe a 6. It's still up in the air. The transmission is out of the car again and on a crate waiting for a pickup to take it back to NJ after a failure less than 5500 miles in. I think the torque converter went to shite since it was shifting fine all the way up to the point I lost fluid flow and it neutralized. I pulled the pan after talking with Pat and the screen is full of clutch material akin to a Jasco torque converter failure. The transmission and torque converter were supposed to be good for 750 HP. My engine is putting out about 450, maybe a little more since calculating the torque/HP loss with certainty through the trans and diff is difficult and I approximated at 30%. Either way it'll get fixed and shipped back to me. Hopefully the issue will be located and it'll go further than before. But like @SilverOnyx posted, I have more than one car. I swap up which car I drive through the week, so one down is not an issue. I repair my own cars and have the shop and tools to accompany my know-how. Others, it can be a huge issue. Oh, and the car I speek of is the VDC and it's up to about $53k in cost since I purchased it in 2012. I'll update the build thread after I hear from Pat after their teardown. Pretty sure it's gonna be an issue with the torque converter.

As for the wheels and the spacers - Bearing life can be shortened. With my BAJA, the bearing life is going to be shortened not just because the spacers are on the hub, but the oversized wheels also contribute. I don't expect the life to be too shortened since the bearings are really tough to start with. I don't concern myself with it really. The truck has 101k miles on it, it runs great, makes passengers laugh hysterically when I push it to the floor and it has been quite the conversation piece in stop and stop traffic on Capital of Texas Hwy in the evenings. Lots of Toyota truck driver's take notice. :unsure:

Figure it out, find what you need to get what you want, and do it. It's that simple. Then put money aside for the things that pop up. Remember "Pay to Play"?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts