Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Outback Limited 2.5L H4 5MT Regatta Red Pearl w/ lift and audio system
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone from CT! I'm making this thread again because the title was wrong in the last one...just wanted to make it clear that this is a WTB, not a FS ad.

So the deal is that I have a 1999 Impreza OBS with a 2.2. The body is falling to pieces while the drivetrain remains solid. I'm looking for any Subaru with a Phase II Ej22 or a Phase II (SOHC) Ej25. The engine and/or tranny can be blown or preferably, missing. I'd like to find something with less rust than my poor OBS though. Doesn't have to be perfect, but it does have to be cheap (i.e. the more mechanical problems, the better...to a point. )

Thanks

·
Registered
2005 LL Bean
138 Posts
I have a 1998 OBW 30th Anniversary edition that needs head gaskets. I was driving up until they went. It has just shy of 220k. Some rust, but not too much. I can post pics as soon as I dig it out, lol. It's in central MA if you're interested. I was planning to sell it to a local shop for scrap.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the offer! That *would* be exactly what I want, but unfortunately that car has the Phase 1 EJ25, which would be a real pain to swap to a Phase 2 EJ22. But it still may be worth fixing the DOHC that's in it. Do you know if overheated when the head gaskets went?

·
Registered
2005 LL Bean
138 Posts
Thanks for the offer! That *would* be exactly what I want, but unfortunately that car has the Phase 1 EJ25, which would be a real pain to swap to a Phase 2 EJ22. But it still may be worth fixing the DOHC that's in it. Do you know if overheated when the head gaskets went?
The needle pegged, but it didn't steam over. I nursed it home the last mile or so stopping every few hundred yards. I'm digging it as we speak. Let me know if you want pics.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, thank you but I think I'm going to pass on it. If I had a spare EJ25D or Phase 1 EJ22 I'd be all over it. Kinda sucks to have a Phase 2 because it means I can only easily swap it into the 2nd gen Outbacks, which are so much heavier (600lbs or so, I think) than the 1st gen like yours. Ah well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.