Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I know my way around cars for the most part friend got gas and filled her tank come too find out it was water I emptied the tank and all file lines and filter along with the pump and strainer because the pump lacked pressure now when starting the car it cranks like it should but won't start check the plugs its getting fuel and I changed them too since they where bad im just at a loss now on what else and the car only has 130k on it and it's an 03 outback H6 3.0 ty in advance for any help

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,323 Posts
do a search here for 'fuel pump cap/o-ring' problem...or similar words.

have you tried spraying starting fluid into the intake while cranking?

may need to add a coupla bottles of HEET to help dry-out the system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do a search here for 'fuel pump cap/o-ring' problem...or similar words.

have you tried spraying starting fluid into the intake while cranking?

may need to add a coupla bottles of HEET to help dry-out the system.
Not yet and I'll do that tomorrow

·
Premium Member
Outbacks, SVXs, XT6, 4Runner, Celica, Brat, E150s
1,046 Posts
Checked codes?

Yea, verify compression, spark and timing with a quick shot of starting fluid into the throttle body.

·
Premium Member
Outbacks, SVXs, XT6, 4Runner, Celica, Brat, E150s
1,046 Posts
No engine light is on and timing is good already checked it
The CEL is not on? It should come on with the ignition on and engine not running. If the light does not come on at all, you have bigger problems. You wouldn't notice anything different if the engine does not start. Also, it's possible to have Pending codes that might point you in the direction of a problem. If you are diagnosing an engine issue on a modern (1996+) car, step one is plug in a reader and check codes.

How did you check the timing? Just Cam timing, or ignition timing as well?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The CEL is not on? It should come on with the ignition on and engine not running. If the light does not come on at all, you have bigger problems. You wouldn't notice anything different if the engine does not start. Also, it's possible to have Pending codes that might point you in the direction of a problem. If you are diagnosing an engine issue on a modern (1996+) car, step one is plug in a reader and check codes.

How did you check the timing? Just Cam timing, or ignition timing as well?
Took the cover off an checked the timing chain and the car won't start right now engine light comes on when you turn the key on

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Legacy Outback.. EJ20 swap. Base or L. 4S3BH665527xxxxxx
425 Posts
Took the cover off an checked the timing chain and the car won't start right now engine light comes on when you turn the key on
The engine light is supposed to come on when you turn the key to the "RUN" position that is the position just before when it goes forward to start the car, that is part of the self-test.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The engine light is supposed to come on when you turn the key to the "RUN" position that is the position just before when it goes forward to start the car, that is part of the self-test.
It does come on and ty for all your advise im running 3 bottle of iso heet too remove the rest of the water it wants too start now just have too finish it up

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Legacy Outback.. EJ20 swap. Base or L. 4S3BH665527xxxxxx
425 Posts
It does come on and ty for all your advise im running 3 bottle of iso heet too remove the rest of the water it wants too start now just have too finish it up
Awesome.

I used to think that stuff was just garbage, didn't do much.. But, then I watched this video in its entirety:

And I think it will do something.

Right on man!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome.

I used to think that stuff was just garbage, didn't do much.. But, then I watched this video in its entirety:

And I think it will do something.

Right on man!
Ty too all who helped I will update tomorrow or Monday since I'm racing today

1 - 11 of 11 Posts