Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In case you haven't done so already, it may be worth logging on to XM and checking your 4 month free trial (which should include traffic with nav). Mine only shows 3 month free trial and no traffic and it's like pulling teeth trying to get it fixed.

·
Registered
2014 Outback Limited - 2.5 CVT - Graphite ---- 'Rehomed' 2012 Outback Limited - 2.5 CVT - Deep Indigo Pearl - Could be a Black Bumper Masonite car ---- "RIP" 2010 Outback - 2.5 CVT - Silver - So's m
323 Posts
Another 'issue' with the Radio Trial.... They keep calling and calling to get me to subscribe to their service. How many calls will it take to get off their call-list?

Didn't use it - don't want it - will keep it because it can't be removed.

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,696 Posts
Huh. I got my 4 free months, not a single call until it was about to expire. (I did get a few mailers asking me to re-up early)

Then, just before it was to expire, I got a single phone call. They gave me a fair rate to renew for 6 months.......About 6 bucks a month. I asked if I could get that rate for a year......Nope. Price was more like 10 bucks a month for a year. So, I will call to cancel just before my 6 months is up, see if they won't give me a deal to stay on. So far, so good.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Make sure you don't give them a credit card number when you re- up or you may never be able to get "unsubscribed".

·
Registered
2016 Tungsten Outback 3.6R w/Eyesight. My 6th Subaru.
332 Posts
My XM Traffic was not working. I called and they told me that my car did not have a traffic receiver. I called back, spoke to someone else, and they turned it on. They sent me a bill. I called saying I have a free trial and they told me they sent the bill by mistake.
I have had XM before. If you do subscribe and want to cancel, you are in for a big surprise. Like Mr. G says, do not give them a credit card number.

·
Registered
557 Posts
i had the xm trial on another vehicle and then subscribed for a six month period.

when asked for payment i used a credit card and asked if they would auto renew using the credit card.

they said yes.

i said this is a one time payment and it was a one time payment.

for the outback i never called to activate the service.

i was getting call after call asking to subscribe.

i told the operator that i didn't activate the service and simply use my iPhone for my audio content.

they finally left me alone!

joel

·
Registered
2012,OB 3.6R Limited/Moonroof Pkg.
129 Posts
I renew mine for one year and it cost me just $104.00 about $8.66 a month. And its funny they never charge my credit card yet, I renew it last July 23 2012.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Ltd. BBP w/SAP
41 Posts
In case you haven't done so already, it may be worth logging on to XM and checking your 4 month free trial (which should include traffic with nav). Mine only shows 3 month free trial and no traffic and it's like pulling teeth trying to get it fixed.
Thanks for the heads up. I created an account for my trial membership and yup it was for a 3 month trial for XM Select only. I called my Dealer today and they said that Subaru on previous years models only provided a 3 month trial no XM traffic. The dealer is working with SOA to get this rectified. This is an issue with SOA and SiriusXM.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Ltd SAP BBP; formerly 1998 Outback and 1990 Legacy Wagon
66 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I created an account for my trial membership and yup it was for a 3 month trial for XM Select only. I called my Dealer today and they said that Subaru on previous years models only provided a 3 month trial no XM traffic. The dealer is working with SOA to get this rectified. This is an issue with SOA and SiriusXM.
Just so you know what to expect: I checked my XM account and I had been signed up for 3 months, no traffic. I "chatted" online with someone at XM who said that's what the dealership had signed me up for, and referred me to them. I spoke with my salesman at my dealership and he told me they don't activate the XM locally and that I needed to speak with SOA. I spoke with SOA and was told the dealership was wrong. He verified that traffic is supposed to be part of the deal, but thought the subscription was for just three months. He is supposedly calling the dealership to work this out. (He also said he would first verify whether it is supposed to be three or four months.) In theory, he is going to call me back. In that case, I will update this message.

Update: I got a call an hour later from my dealership. He said that after speaking with SOA, he was calling to say that the trial period was only 3 months and that traffic was not included. His basis for this was a Subaru web page that referred only to the 2012 models; and what the guy from SOA had told him (even though the guy from SOA had told me something different, namely that traffic was included.) He still claimed that the dealership had nothing to do with it and that if I wanted to pursue it further I would need to follow up with SOA. I went out to my car and pulled the Monroney sticker out of the glove compartment. On that sticker (which by law has to come with every vehicle) it explicitly states under the "Comfort and Convenience" listings, that the car includes a 4-month XM subscription. In addition, for my vehicle at least, on the right, under "Option package 23" (SAP) it explicitly says that it includes a 4-month subscription for both radio and NavTraffic. So I still can't say if traffic is included for all 2013 Outbacks or only for those with certain options or packages.

I then called back SOA. By chance, I got the same guy. I explained all of this to him and told him I felt that Subaru was giving me the run-around and making me do all the work to correct an error on their part. He asked me to send him a scan of the sticker, promised to do further research and to call me tomorrow. Hopefully, this is an oversight on their part, and they will eventually correct it. Unfortunately, in my case I'll be leaving the country next week for an extended trip abroad, so I may never get to try out the traffic system to see whether it is of any real use in my not so urban setting. Others should be prepared to work through a lot of misinformation and finger-pointing, at least until Subaru gets its act together.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R SAP BBP Outback
717 Posts
Believe the previous posts about cancellation of XM. I got tired of the low band-width poor quality audio from satellite radio so I attempted to cancel. I had given them a credit card number when I first signed up. (Not the SOA deal). Eventually the charges stopped only when the card expired and they could no longer charge it.

·
Registered
2011 2.5i Premium 6MT
35 Posts
This doesnt sound very encouraging. I wish I would of known this before I signed up. I enjoy having the satellite radio, but I listen to my local radio stations more than I listen to it. It is nice to have sometimes but definetly way too expensive. Unless there is a huge discount, I'll be cancelling it or at least trying to cancel it anyway.

Believe the previous posts about cancellation of XM. I got tired of the low band-width poor quality audio from satellite radio so I attempted to cancel. I had given them a credit card number when I first signed up. (Not the SOA deal). Eventually the charges stopped only when the card expired and they could no longer charge it.
I had a magazine subscription that did this to me once. It was a subscription through a third party. I dont remember what the company was called, but I wont subscribe to any magazine that way anymore.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just so you know what to expect: I checked my XM account and I had been signed up for 3 months, no traffic. I "chatted" online with someone at XM who said that's what the dealership had signed me up for, and referred me to them. I spoke with my salesman at my dealership and he told me they don't activate the XM locally and that I needed to speak with SOA. I spoke with SOA and was told the dealership was wrong. He verified that traffic is supposed to be part of the deal, but thought the subscription was for just three months. He is supposedly calling the dealership to work this out. (He also said he would first verify whether it is supposed to be three or four months.) In theory, he is going to call me back. In that case, I will update this message.

Update: I got a call an hour later from my dealership. He said that after speaking with SOA, he was calling to say that the trial period was only 3 months and that traffic was not included. His basis for this was a Subaru web page that referred only to the 2012 models; and what the guy from SOA had told him (even though the guy from SOA had told me something different, namely that traffic was included.) He still claimed that the dealership had nothing to do with it and that if I wanted to pursue it further I would need to follow up with SOA. I went out to my car and pulled the Monroney sticker out of the glove compartment. On that sticker (which by law has to come with every vehicle) it explicitly states under the "Comfort and Convenience" listings, that the car includes a 4-month XM subscription. In addition, for my vehicle at least, on the right, under "Option package 23" (SAP) it explicitly says that it includes a 4-month subscription for both radio and NavTraffic. So I still can't say if traffic is included for all 2013 Outbacks or only for those with certain options or packages.

I then called back SOA. By chance, I got the same guy. I explained all of this to him and told him I felt that Subaru was giving me the run-around and making me do all the work to correct an error on their part. He asked me to send him a scan of the sticker, promised to do further research and to call me tomorrow. Hopefully, this is an oversight on their part, and they will eventually correct it. Unfortunately, in my case I'll be leaving the country next week for an extended trip abroad, so I may never get to try out the traffic system to see whether it is of any real use in my not so urban setting. Others should be prepared to work through a lot of misinformation and finger-pointing, at least until Subaru gets its act together.
This is almost the exact same runaround I got. From XM, to the dealer, to Subaru, to being told I only have 3 months, etc. Finally Subaru agreed I should have 4 months with traffic and called XM. My latest call to XM verified that Subaru did call and it is being handled in their back office and should be fixed in 10 business days. This was over a week ago, nothing yet.
I suspect there are a lot of new 2013s with the same situation and most won't even realize it when their subscribtion stops in 3 months. It doesn't make things any better when the dealer pulls answers out of his *** like subscribtion starts when car is built, etc.

·
Registered
2013 OB Ltd. 2.5i Satin White Pearl - Special Appearance Package
87 Posts
We are at week 1 of our XM trial period. Prior to this new car purchase, we had no experience with satellite radio.

Thus far we really like some of the specific music stations, although, I don't quite understand a comedy station. :D The sound quality of our 440 watt HK system adds to the experience. Great Sound!!!

I would love to continue the service, but the subscription rate would have to be less than $5/month. Our drive to work (we drive together) is less than 20 minutes. While I can see the advantages of having XM/NavTraffic on long drives, around town I can't justify the cost.

We will see what happens when they call at the end of the trial period. Got a great deal on the car, maybe we can get a great deal on XM.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We will see what happens when they call at the end of the trial period. Got a great deal on the car, maybe we can get a great deal on XM.
Chances are it will be you making that call. They have an easier way of getting your attention, your sat radio stops working at the end of the trial, which may be 3 months instead of the expected 4.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited
950 Posts
Had an free 1-yr trial XM/Sirrus on my 2008 Dodge. I never renewed the subscription since I never listened to the radio. I still get emails, 3.5 years later, about the service even after telling them it's not worth $6/mth to me.

·
Registered
'12 Outback 3.6R Limited
185 Posts
We are at week 1 of our XM trial period. Prior to this new car purchase, we had no experience with satellite radio.

Thus far we really like some of the specific music stations, although, I don't quite understand a comedy station. :D The sound quality of our 440 watt HK system adds to the experience. Great Sound!!!

I would love to continue the service, but the subscription rate would have to be less than $5/month. Our drive to work (we drive together) is less than 20 minutes. While I can see the advantages of having XM/NavTraffic on long drives, around town I can't justify the cost.

I've seen a lot of people get 5 months for $25, so it can be done.

I like the Raw Dog and Blue Collar comedy stations, but mostly listen to Opie and Anthony. The music stations are alright, but the sound quality isn't that great. If there wasn't options like the comedy and O&A, I'd probably just go back to my own music and podcasts.

·
Registered
2015 Twilight Blue Legacy Premium
466 Posts
My parents both got offers for $29.99 for 6 months when their subscriptions were about to run out on their 12 Elantra and 12 Veloster. I just received a thing from XM stating full price with no discount. I've had XM on a couple of my cars and they are the WORST company to deal with. 5 year olds could run that company better and I've never had a good experience.

For what it's worth I was paying $77 a year which I had to ask for. Not sure if they still have it since I haven't had XM in about a year and a half. As much as I like the stations, I probably won't renew. The sound quality got better on Sirius but worse on XM.

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
If you want XM that bad then I guess you have to work at it. We like XM and will subscribe when offered a reasonable offer comes through. If not does we will wait until it does.
Drive a lot between Ohio and Florida so having sat is really nice...

·
Registered
'15 STi and '13 GTI
1,009 Posts
Huh. I got my 4 free months, not a single call until it was about to expire. (I did get a few mailers asking me to re-up early)

Then, just before it was to expire, I got a single phone call.
Same here. I got one call and a flyer in the mail. Told them no on the call and that was it.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts