Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Have a 2019 Outback.

Am really worried about inadvertently leaving the engine on in the garage.
Lots of real horror stories.
Was so simple and fool-proof when they had a physical key.

Anyway, it was my understanding when i purchased it that if the engine is left on, and
you exit the car (door opens and then closes) you would hear a "loud" warning bell, or...

Seems to be absolutely no indication of this if I test out.
Should there be ?

is there some option you have to set for this, or...?

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
if you have the keyfob, and take the fob with you, there is a long high pitched tone that will sound as you walk away from the car. It goes away after a short while though. Harder to hear over the engine if the engine is running.... if the ignition is on and engine is not running, you'll hear it (and see a warning on the dash to turn the car off when you open the door).

·
Registered
921 Posts
In another post, I proved it's easily done, and the manual warns you about "leaving the car on" and exiting the vehicle - you WILL drain the battery. Hope you read that.

The scenario is you drive into the garage, you place the car in Neutral by mistake and press the Start/Off button, and the engine shuts off... You move the shifter to Park when you realize your mistake, you exit the vehicle but there is no warning chime like you'd expect. There is a long tone as @walker explains and there is a message on the center console display to turn the ignition off, and when you close the door, you will here 3-short beeps like @Mapdude55 indicates if you listen for them. But if you go by the continuous bing bing bing audible warning only when stepping out the door, it's simply missing... Programming omission? I think so. Hopefully they will address.

I went looking for it when a poster was surprised at hearing the radio still on after his wife drove home and parked after listening to the "Talking Heads". How a propos right? Anyway, if you ever "shut the car off" with the radio going and you exit the car and the radio doesn't shut off, the engine may be off, but not the car!

Hopefully I didn't confuse you. :LOL: :p o_O

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
In another post, I proved it's easily done, and the manual warns you about "leaving the car on" and exiting the vehicle - you WILL drain the battery. Hope you read that.

The scenario is you drive into the garage, you place the car in Neutral by mistake and press the Start/Off button, and the engine shuts off... You move the shifter to Park when you realize your mistake, you exit the vehicle but there is no warning chime like you'd expect. There is a long tone as @walker explains and there is a message on the center console display to turn the ignition off, and when you close the door, you will here 3-short beeps like @Mapdude55 indicates if you listen for them. But if you go by the continuous bing bing bing audible warning only when stepping out the door, it's simply missing... Programming omission? I think so. Hopefully they will address.

I went looking for it when a poster was surprised at hearing the radio still on after his wife drove home and parked after listening to the "Talking Heads". How a propos right? Anyway, if you ever "shut the car off" with the radio going and you exit the car and the radio doesn't shut off, the engine may be off, but not the car!

Hopefully I didn't confuse you. :LOL: :p o_O
I never could duplicate what he did. I either got the “shut engine off before exiting” (whatever it says) or “put car in park” with warning dings.

·
Registered
98 Posts
if you have the keyfob, and take the fob with you, there is a long high pitched tone that will sound as you walk away from the car. It goes away after a short while though. Harder to hear over the engine if the engine is running.... if the ignition is on and engine is not running, you'll hear it (and see a warning on the dash to turn the car off when you open the door).
When I’ve done this accidentally, and set the chime off, I’ve gotten back in the car, shut it down, and it still chimes for 10 seconds at least. I don’t get it. I just walk away.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
walker
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing