Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of months ago I installed Godspeed AK-221-C and AK-189-C rear lateral arms on my 2009 OB Limited. My initial impressions of the build quality were good, but after only two months some serious problems have already shown up.

All 8 of the rubber boots on the pillow balls for the AK-189-C arms have already started to split/crack. This has to be the worst rubber compound ever created to crack after only two months. No solvents or lubes or any other kind of chemicals have touched them.

The exposed pillow balls on the AK-221-C arms are already showing signs of rust. I live in the rust belt so I can just imagine what they will look like after a single winter.

One of the ends of a AK-221-C arm has stripped threads so the jam nut can't be tightened. I don't know if this is the fault of a Firestone 800lb gorilla or if the threads were cut undersized and the nut stripped them out when it was being tightened.

I knew I was getting what I paid for when trying to save a few bucks over the Megan arms, but I expected to get a couple of years out of these, not a couple of months.

·
Premium Member
15,916 Posts
D*mn.

The stripped cinch nut, that sucks. Bushings all cracked already huh? I remember your other thread. If you take them off, maybe send them to me. I bet I can retrofit better bushings in them. I'll even pay for shipping to me for R&D, if the stripped parts is repairable.

All that said, thanks for following up.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I had the money for the Megans I would gladly send them to you. Don't exactly look forward to pulling them and installing new ones either. I'm just going to run them until I start hearing clunks and creaks.

I should probably either completely cut the boots off so they don't trap water or try injecting grease into them to fill up the cavity. Not too concerned about the nut; the one on the other end seems like enough to keep the adjustment from moving.

Didn't have my phone out in the garage with me or I would have taken some pictures. Maybe I'll get some later.

·
Premium Member
15,916 Posts
If I had the money for the Megans I would gladly send them to you.
Think think I like the WhiteLine better, But their poly bushings are a hard hit.

Hmm ... WL arms and MR type pillow balls...

CKE SSP arms ... Hmmm

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah, it was the Whiteline arms I was thinking of not the Megans. The Megan arms look almost identical to the Godspeed but perhaps better build quality.

I like the rigidity of the pillow balls, but I might end up going with Whiteline when these crap out.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have Moog adjustable lower and front arms on the rear of my '17 Outback. The installation was easy and I got the alignment I wanted (0.00 toe and -0.5* caster at all 4 corners). They've been through a Wisconsin Winter and still look good. They're available from Rock Auto at prices well below Whiteline parts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank god i spent the last 4 hours reading the forum, almost bit the bullet on buying a set of those godspeed arms...they looked good, couldnt really find anything on them, seen you mentioned something about them on another post and followed to here, guess ill just burn the rubbers out and squeeze some poly's in car is pretty much stock,

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank god i spent the last 4 hours reading the forum, almost bit the bullet on buying a set of those godspeed arms...they looked good, couldnt really find anything on them, seen you mentioned something about them on another post and followed to here, guess ill just burn the rubbers out and squeeze some poly's in car is pretty much stock,
Yeah, stay away from these. I ended up having to weld the passenger rear arm because the outer section threads stripped (male threads cut undersized). I'm just going to run them until they start giving me problems from the torn boots and then get the whiteline set.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Yes mine are the same so I do inject them with a syringe greaser fitting, and often!
So far they remain tight and smooth.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts