Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife just drove home our 2000 outback H6. I was quite surprised when she walked in saying that there were some warning lights on, on the dash. The car got serviced less than a week ago.

I went and had a look, and the engine light, along with the "VCD of" light and the exclamation light was on. I tried disconnecting the battery leads for a few mins to reset the computer, just in case it was an non fault (if that makes any sense). Well i was wrong, a few seconds after starting the car back up the same three lights came on.

Has anyone any idea what this means, and if the issue is a serious one? I will have to drive it about 10km to a mechanic. I want to be sure im not going to be doing the engine any damage by driving it with these lights on??

HELP!!!!!!:gasp:

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,110 Posts
I'd drive it the 10K (about 6 miles for those up here) to the mechanic and have him pull the DTC codes. Also have him check the Alternator because that can cause a load of weird codes if it is failing.

Let us know what you find before you have the mechanic do the work, if possible. Hopefully you can trust this bloke and he'll give you the cheaper options first.

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,977 Posts
As long as that 'check engine light' is not flashing, you are OK to drive it in for a data dump. If it is flashing (indicating a misfire condition), don't.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Il go see if I can get the mechanic to pull the codes this morning. Not sure how well I trust my local mechanic, as I have only used him once before. Fingers crossed it’s something minor and the mechanic doesn’t try to screw me over?

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just got back from the dealer. Said it was a P0051 code?? ( i think that was it, he flashed a piece of paper with it written on in front of me).

Said it was the left bank A/F sensor that was giving intermittent errors? Cost of a new sensor $632+GST+fitting cost. That sound about right??

Id like to get out of this cheaper if anyone knows a good way?

Oh just popped the hood and can’t see where the MAF is? The dealer told me the part number was 22641AA032, which according to my google searches is an oxygen sensor? they said its the left bank one that’s failing intermittently? Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,293 Posts
P0051 is a sensor heater circuit issue. Bank 2 sensor 1 which is on the passenger side of a RHD. It mounts to the exhaust pipe directly under the cylinder head and plugs in near the top of the valve cover at the front. Its a grey plug. Takes 15 minuter to replace it with a 22mm wrench.

Here, in the US, the sensor can be purchased for around $200-250. I would think they are trying to get you to replace both since I don't think the shipping cost to NZ wouldn't rack it up that much.

As for the MAF, there isn't one. Yours is MAP sensor run. It calculates air flow based on the info it gets from the air temperature sensor and the MAP. The MAP doesn't tend to fail.

Maybe you should check your battery cables for tightness and evidence of corrosion. Also look at the ground cable lugs on the firewall above the transmission torque arm. There are 4. There is also a major ground lug on the intake, driver side (again RHD) that is the ground feed for the sensors that are part of the engine harness. The AF sensors are part of the engine harness.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your a legend Cardoc! Thanks for that.

Il do a check of all the earth's tomorrow. The battery connections looked all good when I disconnected them to reset the computer last night, but wouldn't hurt to give them a clean anyway.

Price was for only the one sensor, but it was a Subaru dealership (with its usual "take a price and double it"). Still I checked at my local parts place, and the price was similar.

Thanks again guys, great forum!

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I tried cleaning those four earths earth’s up, as well as the main earth strap to the bodywork (i was quite suprised at the amount of corosion on them), but still getting the same warning lights. I even tried popping the socket to the sensor apart and back together, just to see if that might have been the problem but still getting the same warning light. So looks like time for a new sensor?

I spoke to a local friend here and he said he had a similar problem with a Forrester. He said that he ordered the part out of the US as it was considerably cheaper than locally. Any recommendations on who to order a new sensor from? Iv had a bit of a read through the forum and sounds like the Denso part is THE one to order?

Oh while I was at it, I noticed that the inner CV boot was torn. Any thoughts on those split CV boots that you can order that you glue together? The ones where you don’t have to remove the driveshaft? Or am I better just paying someone to do the boots for me?

·
Premium Member
16,293 Posts
Denso or Bosch sensor will suffice. Look up a Bosch dealer on the mainland or somewhere that makes post cheap, then check the internet.

Don't use a split boot. It will split.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks agian for the advice Cardoc. I just called a local mechanic and he didnt quote too much ($170) to replace the CV boot, so might just get that done.

Oh just re-read your post and realised i didnt check the major ground lug on the drivers side. Will do that first before ordering a part! Hope thats the issue!

This looks to be the right part, at about the best price iv seen so far? Front Lambda O2 Oxygen Sensor Subaru Outback 3.0 H6 QF15502 | eBay

Any sugestions on US suppliers? (PM me if you would rather not post that)

·
Premium Member
16,293 Posts
That's a really good price. Will they carry a warranty? Insure the shipping in case something happens? Maybe see if you can get a price or shipping break if you bought 2. The other will fail eventually.

US suppliers, not that would ship to you cheap. You would be doing good to get it out of Australia.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you so much Cardoc. If I ever get to Texas il buy you a beer!

Part now ordered and the dealer has been great about me ordering the part elswhere. He has offered to reset the fault code once iv replaced the sensor.

Iv booked the car in with him to replace the CV boot early next week.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts