Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was making my way back to civilization from a fall camping trip and something went wrong.

I was cruising along the interstate at 65 or so and had a reason to pass some traffic.

I hit the skinny pedal and it said... Nope. It sounded like a weird exhaust cough, no acceleration.

Then the check-engine light flashed 3x at me. Ah, great...

So I pull off, shut down and start checking the basics. Couldn't find anything wrong. Plenty of clean oil, plenty of coolant, no obvious problem at all.

I started it, it sounded fine. I drove it. It drove fine. Couldn't tell there had been a problem.

So I drove the remaining 200 miles home without any issue and I'm just not sure what to think.

185k miles on the car with all maintenance up to date.

Random glitch? Bad fuel? Is it throwing me a warning? Maybe I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing octane booster?

I don't know if there's anything to be done, just curious if anyone else had a turbo Subaru throw a random "Nope!" like that.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,318 Posts

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,936 Posts
Yesterday I was making my way back to civilization from a fall camping trip and something went wrong.

I was cruising along the interstate at 65 or so and had a reason to pass some traffic.

I hit the skinny pedal and it said... Nope. It sounded like a weird exhaust cough, no acceleration.

Then the check-engine light flashed 3x at me. Ah, great...

So I pull off, shut down and start checking the basics. Couldn't find anything wrong. Plenty of clean oil, plenty of coolant, no obvious problem at all.

I started it, it sounded fine. I drove it. It drove fine. Couldn't tell there had been a problem.

So I drove the remaining 200 miles home without any issue and I'm just not sure what to think.

185k miles on the car with all maintenance up to date.

Random glitch? Bad fuel? Is it throwing me a warning? Maybe I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing octane booster?

I don't know if there's anything to be done, just curious if anyone else had a turbo Subaru throw a random "Nope!" like that.
Some humor- mild swearing

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,318 Posts
how old is the front o2 sensor?

early sign of failure on that is minor misfires when on throttle that do not store,... ...and persist even if you change plugs.

edit: and it maybe a while of such misfire incidents before you get a p013x type code,

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how old is the front o2 sensor?

early sign of failure on that is minor misfires when on throttle that do not store,... ...and persist even if you change plugs.

edit: and it maybe a while of such misfire incidents before you get a p013x type code,
That sensor has about 60k miles, went in around 2013.

The plugs aren't that fresh and given that I was far from home I don't know anything about the fuel quality. No recurrence since, it boosts just fine. Just totally glitched out on that one maneuver.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not gonna lie, i puckered and feared the worst.
I know, right?

I did have to take a half-tank of some 91 fuel earlier in the trip and after a steady diet of 93 it may just be a hiccup from that. Hoping that's all it is. I'd love to get this thing to the far side of 200k before doing anything spendy.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,144 Posts
Maybe a bug some how got sucked the loose the loose seam of the stock air box and committed suicide on the MAF. Until the corpse cleared, the ECU was confused.

Did the flashing CEL render any codes at all?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,318 Posts
I know, right?

I did have to take a half-tank of some 91 fuel earlier in the trip and after a steady diet of 93 it may just be a hiccup from that. Hoping that's all it is. I'd love to get this thing to the far side of 200k before doing anything spendy.
maybe you should keep a small bottle of octane booster in the hatch just for a emergency.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,144 Posts
maybe you should keep a small bottle of octane booster in the hatch just for a emergency.
He is XRT tuned after all. I think we all do.

:9:

Unfortunately even really bad gas would not cause what happened. You might get enough pinging to recognize a slight loss in power especially under boost. But not a dead-pedal. Which is what it sounded like.

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,256 Posts
By any chance could the throttle body have gotten iced up? Iced carbs will often act that way, but while I'm not as fully familiar with throttle bodies, I would expect that the same is possible.

·
Registered
. . Current daily driver is a 2017 Outback.
50 Posts
. . Cel . .

. . Never heard you say what the CEL was. . Even if the fault is no longer occurring it will store any momentary faults. .
. . My first thought was first signs of turbo failure. . Has it ever been replaced? ?

·
Registered
2013 Impreza Sport, 2003 Toyota Highlander 3.0 FWD, 2009 Outback XT Limited 5MT - R.I.P.
377 Posts
I'm always afraid when YOU'RE having trouble. In the bank of my mind I'm thinking --- he knows EVERYTHING!!!

Hope it was just a random hiccough!

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,359 Posts
Maybe a dbw pedal failure?
This one keeps sticking in my head, given the symptoms described, the lack of any subsequent incidents, and the fact that the 2006 uses a potentiometer to sense accelerator pedal position (dbw = drive by wire, BTW).

Presuming this is a real potentiometer, not an optical encoder, it could have a dead spot in just one area of the potentiometer, it could have been a piece of dirt that has since been displaced, it could have been a wiper issue, etc. These things do fail, but don't always just die outright - it might be gradual. And it might not have set a diagnostic code.

I'd get some contact cleaner on the part, call it good, and hope for the best.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts