Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - my '02 OBS was in service 2/2002 and only ~31K miles on it, so I've got just a couple weeks of factory warranty left.

This is (apparently) a one-owner car from Maine that was traded in to a Saturn dealer in NH in 4/2004 and I bought it in 6/2004 with <29K miles on it, having put on all of 2300 more since. Carfax showed nothing. Only recall I got was a replacement of seat rail bolt.

I'm just wondering if there's any big-ticket points of failure on the Impreza 2.5/OBS (this is an automatic) that I should be looking out for. Anything that I should be taking to the dealer and say "I think you should check xyz" and at least get a "concern" in my service history before factory warranty expiration.

I've noticed that my engine sounds a little "clackety" (slightly dieselish) when it's really cold - which it has been absurdly so up here - but I'm hoping that's normal for the "boxer" engine. The exhaust also sounds poppy and/or muddy sometimes when it's idling (at similar cold temps). I hope that's just normal exhaust wear and perhaps it's time to replace the muffler/whole exhaust after 3 new england winters. I can't find anything really wrong with the car but wondering what others in my shoes might do...

That is, besides purchase any extended warranty. I'm probably going to be putting 5-6K tops a year on this car :)

Any input appreciated!
thanks,
-Peter

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sduford said:
Yeah that "dieselish" (love that word!) sound is normal for boxers. My brand new OBXT does the same thing on cold mornings.
Hmmm... maybe I should have used "dieselesque" ? :)

I've got a co-worker who's a car-nut/mechanically inclined and a former Subie owner, I've been meaning to have him take a look/listen at my car, just can't seem to be in town at the same time as him.

thanks
-Peter

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
I have the same exact car with the same exact miles and the same exact noises. I do, however have the extended warranty. I bought the car new and got the warranty then. I really don't suggest putting another thousand into a warranty when you may never use it, but if it makes you feel better... I am really not sure why I did it in the first place myself. If that OBS is the one in your pic, it's just like mine. Mine has the 5 speed, though.

Brian

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, the one in my avatar and the ones in my signature link are my car. I waffled on getting an auto trans but a) I wanted to put in an auto-starter and not worry about it, and b) I wanted to be able to let family members borrow it and none of them can drive stick. I can definitely feel the auto robbing the power and it's very conservative about downshifting. I know I'd enjoy the car a LOT more with the 5-speed, but I had other priorities for this vehicle.

Anyway, unless I hear something like "half of all 02 EATs are failing at XX,000 miles" I'm probably not going to worry about it and let the warranty quietly expire. I didn't get the full-blown dealer-rip-off 30K service but made sure I got the AWD/EAT service done (even thought it may have been done just before I bought it, it was not at a Subie dealer when I bought it!)

My philosophy in life is to never buy extended warranties (on anything) and just pay for repairs - it's seemed to be cheaper for me in the long run. Esp at the low rate I put miles on my cars...

thanks,
-Peter

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
You could check the JD Powers and Consumer's Report web sites for some reliability and repair statistics.

Most extended warranties are a waste of money as they are designed to make lot's of money for the dealer, salesperson, and insurance underwriter.

Having said that, there are countless examples of people who were really glad they had such a warranty. But odds are the majority of people won't recoup their investment. It is really more a peace of mind thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
FastSly
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing