Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have logged into Subaru.com and looked at the maintenance schedule. It does not match the suggested maintenance in the owners manual. Anyone know why this is? The on line schedule shows a recommended service every 3k miles. There is no explanation as to what some of these services include. There is an explanation for 3K and 15K but nothing for 3,6,9 and 12k service intervals. I stopped looking past 15K. If i change my oil every 7.5K mi as the book suggests will my warrantee be voided? Just wondering if anyone had any experience with this. Thanks...

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
$$$ for the dealers. Follow the manual and you'll be fine. If you want to waste errrr spend your money on early oil changes and service it won't do anything but drain your wallet make the dealer happy.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,323 Posts
my.subaru.com has changed and is now linked to dealerships.

So their service interval shows up...the one you can ignore.

Follow your manual and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i MT
16 Posts
I apologize in advance for this question, as the same sort of question has likely been asked before, but I'd be very appreciative of any advice that you could give.

I'm the owner of a very lightly-driven 08 Subaru Outback 2.5i with the winter option, MT.
I've just reached 21000 miles (I know I'm a wimp driver!) and plan to take it in for another oil change/air filter etc. I've rotated the tires regularly etc, had the 3000 mile service, etc but I know that even if it hasn't been driven much, it should get a much more complete look at -- ie fluid changes etc. I've had it since Aug. 07;
I don't need the dealership to change the cabin air filter -- I can do that myself, but can you give me an idea of what with that mileage, and that age I should be asking them to do?

I live in Vancouver, B.C., have kept the car in underground parking throughout its life, and rarely drive it in winter.

many thanks for any advice you can give.

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,103 Posts
You should do time-based service intervals. The service intervals are always expressed as 3 months/3,000 miles (whichever comes first), just as an example. In your case, the 3 months do. Follow the suggested services on the 3 month intervals.

What happens is that moisture and contaminants can still build up in the oil, and is somewhat magnified by driving only short trips as the engine doesn't warm enough to burn off the moisture and other combustion byproducts.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i MT
16 Posts
Many thanks for your reply, Hallux.

Of course that applies to the oil -- I understand that perfectly -- it was just the rest of the stuff that I was curious about.
Do I get everything replaced as if I had owned it for six years -- which I have --- or rather if I had driven it for 20,000 to 25,000 miles?

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,103 Posts
Similar concerns about moisture would apply for trans fluid and diff oil, not so much with the coolant, though it may not be a bad idea to get that flushed either.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
I have logged into Subaru.com and looked at the maintenance schedule. It does not match the suggested maintenance in the owners manual. Anyone know why this is? The on line schedule shows a recommended service every 3k miles. There is no explanation as to what some of these services include. There is an explanation for 3K and 15K but nothing for 3,6,9 and 12k service intervals. I stopped looking past 15K. If i change my oil every 7.5K mi as the book suggests will my warrantee be voided? Just wondering if anyone had any experience with this. Thanks...
Subaru is throwing a bone to the dealers.

Oddly enough they started doing this just about a year or so ago prior to that the online info matched the owners manual.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,860 Posts
I have posted this before...but it may answer some questions about service. The dealership adds all kinds of sh1t to the service sched to make themselves more $$$.

Attachments

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Good friend around the corner called me last week he was pretty ticked off at the local dealer trying to sell him a $750 30K service package insisting it was a must do etc.

I laughed told him to cool his jets and to swing by this week after dinner and I would show him how to do his own service package.

Spent about an hour showing him how to change the oil, replace filters cabin and otherwise - then we pulled the wheels and checked brakes and CV boots etc.

Then told him he owed me a $750 Beer. LOL

I'm just waiting for the day these dealer created service packages gets targeted by a lawyer looking for a payday on fraudulent services and charges. Because most dealers are dancing a fine line between running a scam/Fraud program and offering actual proper service to their customers.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback Limited
215 Posts
my.subaru.com has changed and is now linked to dealerships.

So their service interval shows up...the one you can ignore.

Follow your manual and you'll be fine.
I was just on My Subaru to see if some recent maintenance had showed up and noticed that the maintenance schedule for my MY2013 OB had changed back from 3k, 6k, 9k, etc. back to the 7.5k, 15k, 22.5k intervals as shown in the booklet that came with the car.

Wonder what caused that?

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Might be this site - big brother (SIA) is watching all of us...LOL

·
Registered
2014 OBW 2.5 Premium 2006 Legacy Ltd
63 Posts
Purchasing a new OBW hopefully on Monday. I maintain a personal fleet of three Land Rovers one subaru and two hondas.

I hate dealerships, I hate service techs I hate service departments.

If I do my own maintenance per Subaru are they going to bust my balls if I have any warranty issues? This will obviously be a brand new car. It is a huge PITA to take a car in for service when I can do it myself in less than an hour.

I have been trolling this forum for years finding solutions for the Legacy, it has been extremely informative and helpful

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Purchasing a new OBW hopefully on Monday. I maintain a personal fleet of three Land Rovers one subaru and two hondas.

I hate dealerships, I hate service techs I hate service departments.

If I do my own maintenance per Subaru are they going to bust my balls if I have any warranty issues? This will obviously be a brand new car. It is a huge PITA to take a car in for service when I can do it myself in less than an hour.

I have been trolling this forum for years finding solutions for the Legacy, it has been extremely informative and helpful
You can perform all of your own maintenance in accordance with subaru specifications.... BUT....ya need to keep a log and receipts for maintenance parts and materials.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts