Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Outback Limited Tungsten
604 Posts
So this means everyone with a 2015 gets a 5 year warranty now for windshields?
I wonder what the cutoff for early 2016 is though, I probably might be part of it.

·
Registered
2015 OB Limited 2.5i PZEV MR, Keyless Access & Push-Button Start, Nav, Eyesight - Tungsten Metallic
1,313 Posts
So this means everyone with a 2015 gets a 5 year warranty now for windshields?
I wonder what the cutoff for early 2016 is though, I probably might be part of it.
Not quite everyone - just windshields that have the deicer feature - maybe standard on Premium and Limited but not the Base(?).

Also, only cracks that originate in the deicer area from a minor strike are eligible - I guess this would be up to the dealer to determine if a strike would have caused a crack even without the deicer problem and then deny coverage.

Reactions: DougNuts

·
Registered
2021 White Outback Touring
1,011 Posts
Once again Subaru backs their product in an honest/professional way.
I think this is great!

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Limited, crystal white pearl, dark gray interior. Eyesight, Nav, HK radio
756 Posts
Not quite everyone - just windshields that have the deicer feature - maybe standard on Premium and Limited but not the Base(?).
My 2006 OB had the cold weather package and had a very pronounced deicer area under the wipers. I have not seen a cold weather package for the 5th Gen. Do you know how to tell if it's there?

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,485 Posts
Do you know how to tell if it's there?
2015/16 Legacy/Outback:

Base trim = not available
Premium trim = standard
Limited trims = standard

Look for the heat element at the base of the windshield where the wiper blades park.

Reactions: 2014Outback

·
Registered
2019 sprinter 4x4, 2021 xt touring
1,446 Posts
Mind if i steal this to share it?

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R w/Eyesight -2013 Forester -21yr old F-150
72 Posts
I have an early-build 3.6 so I am filing the letter to keep.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Premium with Eyesight
94 Posts
Just got my letter; will file it and hope I don't need it. Nasty Michigan winter driving is just around the corner. There are many, many semis on the highways and one did not have its cargo covered adequately, my OB got pelted with sharp pebbles but what got damaged was the hood- a hole that went right through to the metal. Had to buy paint and touch it up. :-(

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
1,855 Posts
Just got the letter today as well. Will be in my glove compartment just in case.

On the way home from work today took a rock hit off the windshield and thought oh oh and saw a star in the top right hand corner of the passenger side. Kept looking to see if it was going to grow on the ride home but noticed it was moving instead. Turned out to be a tiny spider on the inside of the windshield that looked like a starburst pattern :D

Did take a rock hit but no damage I could find as of tonight. Have taken a few hits in the last few months and nothing serious has come of it so far. Winter in Northern NJ will be a good test for sure.

Reactions: Harplayr

·
Registered
2015 OB Limited 2.5i PZEV MR, Keyless Access & Push-Button Start, Nav, Eyesight - Tungsten Metallic
1,313 Posts
My 2006 OB had the cold weather package and had a very pronounced deicer area under the wipers. I have not seen a cold weather package for the 5th Gen. Do you know how to tell if it's there?
With a Limited you definitely have the heaters as mentioned by ammcinnis in his post.

You can see the grids if you look real close at the base of the windshield where the wiper blades park - kind of a dark orange color.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I have an early-build 3.6 so I am filing the letter to keep.
Just got my letter; will file it and hope I don't need it. :-(
Maybe I'm wrong but I think the claim form is only for owners who have already had out of pocket cost to repair. Now that Subaru has identified the problem and issued the extended warranty you would need to go to a dealer for inspection and replacement - I don't think Subaru would pay for an unsubstantiated claim if you submitted the form going forward. The letter would be the only thing to keep - correct?

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium ICE Silver
156 Posts
I also got my letter today. When I bought the car new a couple months ago, I lowered my deductible for the windshield portion of my car insurance because I was aware of the problem. But if it's going to be covered by Subaru, I'd rather save the extra $60 a year on my premium payment. I assume that if they are issuing this letter and referring to early 2016s that they have eliminated the problem going forward.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Premium with Eyesight
94 Posts
Maybe I'm wrong but I think the claim form is only for owners who have already had out of pocket cost to repair. Now that Subaru has identified the problem and issued the extended warranty you would need to go to a dealer for inspection and replacement - I don't think Subaru would pay for an unsubstantiated claim if you submitted the form going forward.
I should have been clearer. Don't intend to use claim side but keeping letter to remind me of extended warranty in case I do have breakage during new time period. I don't know enough about cars so I would take it right to my dealer if this misfortune should happen and get their official glass installed.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts