Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback Ltd 2.5i
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m getting ready to ask for internet pricing bids from several dealers on an ‘18 Outback. I’m wondering how warranty service works if I end up buying from a dealer, say, 100 miles away. I’m thinking mostly of the small niggling issues that might show up. Tire imbalance, something rattling/vibrating, wind noise from a bad gasket, etc. Would my local (singular) dealer correct those types of annoyance issues? I assume if something clearly broke, they would fix it under warranty, but am wondering about the “niggles”.

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
903 Posts
The local dealer is obligated to fix anything while it's under warranty. You likely won't get a loaner car, or free car washes, etc. and they may not be as willing to go out of there way for something questionable or good-will repairs after warranty. But they might also provide all of that as well...just depends on the service offered by your local shop. I would personally recommend trying to buy the vehicle where you prefer to service it, but if the $$ is just too great then weigh the pros/cons. I recently paid a little more to buy from the dealer I will use for service mainly to get the loaner cars. It's just too much of an inconvenience to get rides or sit around waiting on service.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It really depends on the dealer you take it to. Some could care less where you bought it and you'll get all the perks of bringing it to them for service. Others will give preferential treatment to customers who *did* buy their cars at their dealership.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Limited, Wilderness Green; 2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, Crimson Red Pearl
198 Posts
Not A Problem

I’m getting ready to ask for internet pricing bids from several dealers on an ‘18 Outback. I’m wondering how warranty service works if I end up buying from a dealer, say, 100 miles away. I’m thinking mostly of the small niggling issues that might show up. Tire imbalance, something rattling/vibrating, wind noise from a bad gasket, etc. Would my local (singular) dealer correct those types of annoyance issues? I assume if something clearly broke, they would fix it under warranty, but am wondering about the “niggles”.
I live in the San Diego area and have bought a 2012, 2016 and 2018 Outback in the San Francisco area (500 miles), Los Angeles area (105 miles) and in Palm Springs (150 miles). This was all due to the fact that the four dealers in San Diego will not quote a fair price. I have used two different dealers here in the San Diego area for all my service and warranty issues. I have never had a single complaint or issue from either of them. They are happy to have my business.

First off, the service business is almost always separate from the sales side at most dealerships. Once the car is sold, the sales side is out of the picture and the service side is looking to get, and keep, new customers. On the 2012, when I took it in for the first service appointment, they were so happy that they gave me the same VIP pricing discounts that I would have gotten if I bought the car from them. Both dealers have always washed the cars, provided loaner cars if the service would take over four hours, etc.

Second, all warranty work is paid for by SOA, so the dealer could care less where you bought the car. It's just more income for them. While on a trip in the 2016, I hit the 6,000 mile first service point. When I bought the car, the first four appointments were free. I went to a dealer in Eugene, Oregon and they bent over backwards to help get me on the road without delaying my vacation. And they knew I was never going to see them again.

Enjoy your new ride and do not worry about where you buy it or service it. Get the best deal and the rest will take care of itself.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Ltd 2.5i
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really appreciate the replies. I definitely have thought of new car Sales and Service as two completely separate businesses... almost... but still kind of wondering. I’ll put out my bid quotes and hopefully the local Lexington dealer will be willing to work up a competitive bid. Would love to buy locally, but they’ll need to earn it.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Premium, Eyesight, Lapis Blue Pearl. 2015 Forester 2.5i Limited, Satin White Pearl
12 Posts
What Grand Dad said. We bought a 15 Forester and 17 Outback from a dealer about a hundred miles away and get service locally. They treat us great, as if we purchased the vehicles from them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outack Limited 2.5i
16 Posts
I purchased my Outback in Phoenix, AZ and I live in Flagstaff. The sole purpose of buying it in Phoenix was because at the time my wife was still living down there and while I was in Flagstaff. She wanted to take part in the car shopping and Phoenix has more dealerships to choose from. I haven't had any major problems with getting service up here in Flagstaff. It seems as if I am treated the same as everyone else. In hindsight though I probably should have just bought the car from up here but for different reasons than what this thread is about.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
1,645 Posts
I purchased my Outback in Phoenix, AZ and I live in Flagstaff. The sole purpose of buying it in Phoenix was because at the time my wife was still living down there and while I was in Flagstaff. She wanted to take part in the car shopping and Phoenix has more dealerships to choose from. I haven't had any major problems with getting service up here in Flagstaff. It seems as if I am treated the same as everyone else. In hindsight though I probably should have just bought the car from up here but for different reasons that what this thread is about.
Flagstaff sells for some of the lowest prices in AZ, glad to hear that their service is good too. I've had two services done at dealers other than where I bought from. One was on the other side of the country and they were great. One was at a nearby local dealer and they were terrible, not because I didn't buy there but because they botched the oil change and software upgrade.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
2,177 Posts
i just started taking my car to the local dealer for service. Been using them since 2006 for my Acura and now my Subaru (here the Acura and Subaru dealers were the same location)

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium
2,538 Posts
I am getting warranty work done at the closest dealer, not the one I bought the car from. I don't think they cared at all. In fact, I am not even sure the service department noticed or knows. I am getting the full service. Loaner, rides if needed, car wash. That's how it should be. Maybe next time I buy there if I am happy with the service. If they treat me like 2nd class, then I most certainly wouldn't.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts