Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 50th Anniversary 2.5
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after approx 11,000 miles of the head unit working just fine for the most part(maybe 1 lock up), when I was 13 hours from Home in Wisconsin my head unit totally died. :(

The Dealer said it was the first totally deal unit and ordered a replacement.

Here is a little more about my Outback.
50th anniversary version, I purchased at start of 2018.

Here is what I told the dealer: Head Unit Dead. Happened about 1,000 miles ago in Wisconsin. The unit would lag slightly and not turn on immediately with car and eventually went out entirely. Encountered multiple head unit freezes before it went out entirely. The lights on the buttons on both sides of the screen will flash as if the unit is resetting itself but did not come on the entire trip home. Disconnected battery twice (5 mins and 30 mins) and checked fuses in attempt to correct problem. Unsuccessful.

There are many threads on problems with the infotainment and some have posted that their entire unit has been replaced under warranty.
Trying to get context of numbers for communication with Subaru.

My Question to the forum is:
How many 2018 Subaru Outback owners have had their head unit replaced under warranty?
Post if you have and how many miles were on your car.
Thanks
Tyler

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
628 Posts
yep mines being replaced tomorrow under warranty, '18 OB with 5700mi on it

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Touring - Crystal White
5 Posts
My 2018 Outback Touring had head unit replaced under warranty June 28 with 8200 miles. Have not had any problems since then!!

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6 R Touring
143 Posts
Mine was replaced mid July, 2018. I had about 4,000 miles on the car. Went completely dead. The 'buttons' would flash - looked like it was trying to reboot.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a sneaking suspicion, for those of you that have had the head unit replaced... were you all using the Star link services throughout ownership?

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
628 Posts
I have a sneaking suspicion, for those of you that have had the head unit replaced... were you all using the Star link services throughout ownership?
I'm still under the 1st year free..

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have yet to have any kind of glitch with my head unit... but have yet to use or activate my Star Link system. I have a strong suspicion that all these head unit problems revolve around the Star Link app and usage. Only way to find out is to activate it and see how many issues pop up afterwards.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 50th Anniversary 2.5
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have yet to have any kind of glitch with my head unit... but have yet to use or activate my Star Link system. I have a strong suspicion that all these head unit problems revolve around the Star Link app and usage. Only way to find out is to activate it and see how many issues pop up afterwards.

I never used or activated Star Link.

I always used car play, my suspicion was that maybe the unit overheated?

Anyone seen any differences between the original and replacement head units?

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited with Eyesight
142 Posts
Mine unit out on my 2018 Outback! It went out at about 7000 while it was in shop for another problem

Works fine..never used Starlink on the old one
Subaru sent me a Dyson vacuum cleaner and a Subaru emergency roadside kit

Gary

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have had few glitches nothing. Like others are posting. My Phone is a Samsung s8 would not connect or my favorites don't load. Occasionally 1- 3x my stations would change on there own so I always plug it in.and have enabled always connect. Seems to have helped...

I do have starlink but the app on the display will not connect. If your theory is right I'm glad my app doesn't work..

2018 OB 2.5 limited 2500mi. Fingers ?
Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Limited 2.5 Magnetite Grey, 5th Outback
74 Posts
Purchased my 18 Limited back in October 17
at 1600 miles, after attempts to repair the headunit, it was replaced.
Since then it worked very well
Last Tuesday started the car and headunit completely dead, called into the servicing dealer, and they ordered a new unit for me without me having to bring it in for evaluation, which takes a full week to get in. So, we'll see after the new unit gets installed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Purchased my 18 Limited back in October 17
at 1600 miles, after attempts to repair the headunit, it was replaced.
Since then it worked very well
Last Tuesday started the car and headunit completely dead, called into the servicing dealer, and they ordered a new unit for me without me having to bring it in for evaluation, which takes a full week to get in. So, we'll see after the new unit gets installed.
I wonder if you went with and after market head unit if it would void the warranty?

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
549 Posts
Pattern is very clear here ... they replace unit at first signs of trouble. This does not sound premising long term. What will we do few years down the road when there's no warranty left?

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
628 Posts
Pattern is very clear here ... they replace unit at first signs of trouble. This does not sound premising long term. What will we do few years down the road when there's no warranty left?
I opted for the 100k warranty, so at 100k the car will be traded in... most are saying once they throw a new unit in there problems are gone, so that's what I'm hoping for

·
Registered
53 Posts
Replace it with something better?! I could careless about starlink /incline/mpg or throttle response etc.. There some headunits out the that can provide media/DVD and alot of other options.

I would replace it now but my concern is the warranty. Any non OEM subaru parts will void it. Even when their own HU are trash..

·
Registered
2018 Outack Limited, with Eyesight (Canadian model) Crystal white pearl, black leather interior
76 Posts
Had mine replaced yesterday. 17,300 miles, purchased Aug 24 2017 .Dealer ordered it Tuesday based on my description and was in Thursday. Works great, radio turns off now by holding power button 4 seconds, does not come on when re-started, push button and its on. Many thanks to Fox Subaru in Fredericton NB.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
971 Posts
Replace it with something better?! I could careless about starlink /incline/mpg or throttle response etc.. There some headunits out the that can provide media/DVD and alot of other options.

I would replace it now but my concern is the warranty. Any non OEM subaru parts will void it. Even when their own HU are trash..

Federal law doesn't allow them to void your warranty for non-Subaru parts. They can only deny a warranty claim if they can show your modification caused the issue. Since the radio head can't impact the engine or transmission, there's no way they could make that statement for one of those things. They really couldn't argue about anything expect something attached to the radio, such as the speakers.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru OB Premium
260 Posts
Can also testify that I don't use star link and my headunit runs fine

Apple carplay is about the only thing I'd say is a tad slow, but my wife has a reputation for ruining perfectly good USB cables so I'm not even sure it's the HU. It froze on me once one cold morning back in March when I first got it but it's worth noting I immediately started pressing on things as soon as it started up instead of letting everything settle.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts