Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a rodent issue, so I went to one of those do it yourself washes and used the engine cleaner and then rinsed it with water. I drove it home and it sounded and worked fine. But the next day I started it up and since then it sounds really rough. The engine light has not come on and it seems to work okay, but the sound is pretty unsettling, worried its a time-bomb. Any thought would be much appreciated thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
check your wires. engines can get wet - but hopefully not pressure-washed. My guess is a loose spark plug wire or other ignition component

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
what year, engine?

water in the spark plug tubes. if yes, pull the wires, soak up what you can and then let it air dry over night.

·
Registered
12,308 Posts
It's very helpful to know the year and engine.

What he just said though - pull the spark plug wires or coil packs (depending on motor) and let things dry out. Might be some magic in a can that dries things out, speeds things up, don't know?

If you have a check engien light, read the code. Cylinder misfire points to what was just said about plugs/wires/plug tubes....something else might be something else.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Just for future reference if you do this again; drive the car for a while or get it good and hot to get rid of any water sitting in places.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Did nobody else catch 'rodent issue'?
Critter could've chewed through some shielding to a wire, and add water, and you've got shorts and corrosion and all sorts of potential problems. Might take some time for that moisture to corrode, like oh - overnight. Sealed wires aren't usually made to survive water in them.

If a rodent made its home in your engine bay, it didn't just leave a stinky little nest of leaves, grass, and poo. It probably had a few snacks on the local forage too.

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Did nobody else catch 'rodent issue'?
Critter could've chewed through some shielding to a wire, and add water, and you've got shorts and corrosion and all sorts of potential problems. Might take some time for that moisture to corrode, like oh - overnight. Sealed wires aren't usually made to survive water in them.

If a rodent made its home in your engine bay, it didn't just leave a stinky little nest of leaves, grass, and poo. It probably had a few snacks on the local forage too.
DITO. Seen a lot of rodents snack on harnesses and cause all kinds of electrical issues.

If your engine has the plugs on top of the head at an angle, you could have water in the tubes. On the side, iffy.

Also, you can wash the engine with it running. The constant heat helps evaporate the water, along with driving it around after.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you cover the electrical components before doing this? :gasp:
Thanks for all the replies so far, I will try to reply en masse. First, no I did not cover the electrical stuff, but I tried to make sure I didn't hit the battery or the bit where the cables meet at the top of the engine. I noticed some corrosion on the batt the nxt day but I cleaned it off and the sound remains. Also, it is a 2001 forester (my forester club sign in is being strange so I figured this would be a good place in the meantime), and the plugs are on the sides. I am thinking that since there is no engine light coming on it is not a spark plug type problem? The sound is very noticeable and I think it may be coming from in front of the engine somewhere, even to my inexperienced ears, but there is no engine light coming on and it still seems to actually run fine. As bad as it sounds I would expect it to be having all kinds of problems. Anyway, again thanks for the help, I still haven't had the guts to open up the cabin air but at least I can stand next to the car without covering my nose now, anybody know what the incubation period is for hantavirus heh?!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Rodents

We park our OB in the garage. Plenty of mice + chipmunks in there! I placed 2 plastic containers with mothballs in em on either side of the engine bay. 1) near the batterie 1) by the brake lines. Also one on the floor under the engine.
We haven't had anymore nut shells or seeds on the engine.:29:
Good Luck in the future

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
9 Participants
2012NU2US
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing