Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my black outback onyx is hard to wash. Lots of crevices and indentations. Anyone else feel this way? also anyone have a favorite finish, wax, etc.?

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited XT
140 Posts
I usually go with a ceramic coating that I then maintenance wash. Waxing isn’t really needed, just maintaining the hydrophobic properties of the coating. There are quite a few options for ceramic coating so I’ll avoid naming any particular ones.

My wash routine, always done in shade or early/late evening as direct sun should always be avoided is usually as follows:
Spray the car down to remove any loose dirt/grime.
Foam cannon car and let sit. (no sun!!!)
Wash and rinse with two bucket system. I usually have at least two cleaning items in the clean bucket and use grit guards in both buckets.
Reverse vacuum to blow off car.
Pull car into garage and finish up drying.
Reapply products. Clay bar and wax if needed.

I’ve used quite a few products but now purchase most of my products from Car-Pro.

Moon Knight after my detailer worked his ceramic coating magic...

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
1,620 Posts
I think there is a washing thread around here somewhere but since I have a Black outback..... I think it's one of the easiest cars to wash that I've owned (assuming your set up for it). After a quick rinse, I use a long handled microfiber mop to do a quick pass the hood, fenders, doors, windows and roof ( 90% of the car). Most of those areas are pretty flat. Then I go back with a handheld microfiber mitt to get the door handles, rear hatch , grill, under door trim, bumpers and mirrors. Even the wheels clean up (with a hand held sponge) easier than most I've owned. I've got it down now that I can wash it in about 15 min without working up a sweat. Add another 8-10 min if I use a Wax-as you Dry (WayD) detail product. (instead of a 50 mph, 2 mi blowdry drive). I also have a small wal-mart squegee that works great to dry the windows steak free.
Tips? Get yourself a long handled washing tool , an extra wash mitt, squeege and some quality microfiber cloths for drying/applying . The right tools save time and grief.
As far as products go, everybody has a favorite. I'm not sure how much it differs but I mostly stick to Mothers or Mguires ( because I've used their stuff for 30 years) . I put a coat of Mothers CMX Hybrid Ceramic on 6 months ago and give it a quick update of the WayD or Mquires Ceramic Wax with every third (weekly) wash or so, It's held up very well. I have to say, the paint seems of VG quality and cleans up nice. My car hasn't even been clay barred (yet) and it glows when it's freshly clean.

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
508 Posts
I haven't had many issues washing mine. I will add that mine is ceramic coated with cquartz, which makes it way easier. Even still, I use the same method to wash it as my last non coated car, only with different shampoo. I use a bucket of water and optimum no rinse and soak a bunch of microfiber cloths in it. I soak the car with the foam cannon, and use the rags to agitate it. Rinse it all off and use an absorber to dry it. I haven't found it particularly difficult. I do need a platform to reach to roof, but that's because I'm short.

·
Registered
2020 Outback L 2.5 greenie / tan (formerly 2014 Outback 2.5i P 6MT)
214 Posts
I think my black outback onyx is hard to wash. Lots of crevices and indentations. Anyone else feel this way? also anyone have a favorite finish, wax, etc.?
I would not rate it as more difficult than my 2014 OB, or Hondas before that. Seems like stuck-on bugs are much less of an issue, which would be interesting and great if that persists. I washed it last night and there were no bugs on it at all. Could just be the weather this Spring. For washing, I just use a synthetic sponge, Meguiars soap, playtex gloves for my hands, and a small stepladder to get the roof.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,578 Posts
The issue with washing that I have is, even though I am 6"2', it is almost impossible to reach the middle of the roof without a brush with extension. Since I don't let the brushes at the car wash touch my car, I have to carry one with me when I go there.

I got a wash mitt and the hardest part of washing this car is the acreage of sheet metal on the body. Takes some time to cover everything with suds and go over all the surface area with the mitt.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
1,620 Posts
The issue with washing that I have is, even though I am 6"2', it is almost impossible to reach the middle of the roof without a brush with extension. Since I don't let the brushes at the car wash touch my car, I have to carry one with me when I go there.

I got a wash mitt and the hardest part of washing this car is the acreage of sheet metal on the body. Takes some time to cover everything with suds and go over all the surface area with the mitt.
I'm 5'7" and can reach the entire roof using something like this. It's basically a wash mitt on a pole. Cuts time and grief considerably. It's been easy on the paint too.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
168 Posts
We've had our one and only black vehicle for this very reason. Traded it for a different color (Impala) after just a few months. Everyone always said "black looks great...when it's clean", which is impossible in the dusty Midwest.
I still have an unopened black car wax kit in the garage.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Check out Obsessed Garage on youtube. He gets a little to into it for the average guy, but his methods work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts