Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2021 White Outback Touring
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week or so I have been detailing and cleaning our new 2021. I have noticed 3-4 times when washing the rear end of the car, that right when you are doing your cleaning thing, the rear hatch tends to want to open up. After this happened several times I have decided one should do one of two things . Shut down the hatch opening with the dash switch, or get the FOB out of your pocket. Best thing for me; put the key fob somewhere else. My choice because if I shut down the rear sensor , I probably would forget to reset it back to "on". Wife drives this car 90+% of the time. So she would be complaining to me. She told me last night she was still having problems with the activation of the hatch, and I said you could try washing the car with me, and you would figure out the activation. I did not get a good response out of that conversation.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Both of these are good reminders. I didn't know about the rear latch deactivation switch until I started to wash my car and ran into the same issue.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
138 Posts
You can actually put the fob to sleep instead of physically removing it from the area.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
1,170 Posts
You have covered it, but to offer specific clarifications:

• After much trepidation I decided to leave it deactivated by the dash switch. Pushing the tailgate's manual switch is not so difficult if your hands are not full. Approaching with a shopping cart gives time to use the FOB.
  • The FOB can be turned-off using Hold-the-lock-button on the FOB while pushing the unlock button 2X. My FOB reactivates a lot while in my pocket so this does not always work for me. Place the FOB in a Faraday Cage. I pulled out an old Altoid can which works very well for this purpose. Any metal enclosure should work.
  • If your wife continues to have problems with the proximity sensor have her read the applicable instruction in the manual or specific sections in postings.. Once she knows the conditions that allow it to work and not work she should be happy.
Altoids3.jpg

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premier 2.5i
1,092 Posts
She'll complain about the fob not working when you forget to re-activate it (assuming you share). I just put the fob on the windowsill and no problem. Of course, these other measures would be required if going through a car wash.

·
Premium Member
2021 OB Touring, 2011 OB Premium
634 Posts
I simply place my fob for our 2021 OB Touring in the garage on a shelf and that takes care of the problem. :cool:

Reactions: tmsuttle

·
Registered
2021 White Outback Touring
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have covered it, but to offer specific clarifications:

• After much trepidation I decided to leave it deactivated by the dash switch. Pushing the tailgate's manual switch is not so difficult if your hands are not full. Approaching with a shopping cart gives time to use the FOB.
  • The FOB can be turned-off using Hold-the-lock-button on the FOB while pushing the unlock button 2X. My FOB reactivates a lot while in my pocket so this does not always work for me. Place the FOB in a Faraday Cage. I pulled out an old Altoid can which works very well for this purpose. Any metal enclosure should work.
  • If your wife continues to have problems with the proximity sensor have her read the applicable instruction in the manual or specific sections in postings.. Once she knows the conditions that allow it to work and not work she should be happy.
Obviously you have NOT been married to the same woman for the last 52 years ! If I was to say this "f your wife continues to have problems with the proximity sensor have her read the applicable instruction in the manual or specific sections in postings." to HER I could FORGET lunch for a couple of weeks. Get real, I am lucky to get her out to her new car to explain things!. I have to tread lightly here!

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring - Cinnamon Brown Pearl
34 Posts
Obviously you have NOT been married to the same woman for the last 52 years ! If I was to say this "f your wife continues to have problems with the proximity sensor have her read the applicable instruction in the manual or specific sections in postings." to HER I could FORGET lunch for a couple of weeks. Get real, I am lucky to get her out to her new car to explain things!. I have to tread lightly here!
Right on, 52 years for us too. That set of manuals is pretty heavy when launched at your head even if they are in a padded case..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts