Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:17::eek: Omg!!! what is a high pitched whistling sound of rpms of 3.5 or higher on a subaru outback le 99 indicate? Having issues going uphills Knock sensor is turning cel on. Sluggish acceleration at higher speeds up hills. Previous issue with overheating. Heads have been machined and replaced. new thermostat and radiator have been installed overheating issue have been resolved yet the sluggish acceleration remains
This is whack :rolleyes::13::gasp::headshake:headslap::drama::8:

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,943 Posts
bad knock sensor can reduce performance.

vacuum gauge might help make sure the cat conv isn't clogged

check the bottom of the intake air filter box to be sure the tabs are in place. Easy to miss and can sound like a whoosh/whistle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bad knock sensor can reduce performance.

vacuum gauge might help make sure the cat conv isn't clogged

check the bottom of the intake air filter box to be sure the tabs are in place. Easy to miss and can sound like a whoosh/whistle.
The tabs are broken off and it makes a humming sound. Should I buy a whole new housing for the air filter? Will this improve anything? The car feels sluggish.:8:

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,943 Posts
I doubt it will help with the sluggishness, but you are drawing in unfiltered air. (though it is still metered by the ECU)

either buy a new airbox, get the part from a junkyard, or 'rig' some way to hold the top down on the seal.

should be some good ones at the junkyard.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice

What is the humming sound coming from inside the air system? Is it plugged up? I am getting pissed :3:

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,971 Posts
Whistling from the front or rear?
If its really from the rear, could be the classic exhaust leak thing. Mine does this, and I've heard others that do too.
As for the lack of power on hills, my neighbor felt like his was being a bit slow before it cut out altogether one day. It was the fuel pump O-ring to the gas tank issue, and after taking care of that he said it has a lot more pep.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fuel pump O-ring

Sounds like that might be the same issue I'm having.
Is there a way to check and see if I might be able to get more power by replacing the fuel filter? It looks easy to replace.

Also- The O-ring sounds cheap but is it difficult to figure out?

I'm planning to start replacing little things until I get some results but I have no Idea how to diagnose where to start. All I'm getting is a knock sensor CEL :8:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
High pitched Whistling

Whistling from the front or rear?
If its really from the rear, could be the classic exhaust leak thing. Mine does this, and I've heard others that do too.
As for the lack of power on hills, my neighbor felt like his was being a bit slow before it cut out altogether one day. It was the fuel pump O-ring to the gas tank issue, and after taking care of that he said it has a lot more pep.
sounds like from the rear whistling at 3.5 rpm and higher.
Took it to a smog shop and they drilled a hole...did a test and said no exhaust leaks and cat converters are not plugged. :8:

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,352 Posts
The easiest way is to hook a smoke machine up to the intake. You'll instantly see smoke escaping from the leak.

Since most of us don't have that, a careful visual inspection of the hoses & unions works. Helps to have a list of them all- I don't have any handy though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts