Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd Obsidian Black 5MT
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been attempting to diagnose the final bugs with my engine swap and have encountered a strange but 100% repeatable issue.

I discovered through logging that when I first start my car in the morning or it has been sitting for more than 2 hours, the wastegate solenoid is completely unresponsive. This has been causing me lots of issues - retarding timing, engine bucking, etc. But here's the strange part: if I drive the car just for a second, say 50 ft, then turn the engine off and restart immediately, the wastegate solenoid suddenly starts responding and all is well.

All the testing I did was pointing to the solenoid itself as being bad as I was getting proper readings on the wiring. So I replaced the OEM 2 port solenoid with a brand new Grimmspeed 3 port solenoid. But the issue persists!

I can reliably repeat the problem, the car just has to be cold started. Once it's been driven, the solenoid functions normally on subesquent restarts, up to where the car has sat more than 2 or so hours. I thought maybe the ECU was keeping the solenoid from operating until maybe the car was warm, but I don't think that's the case, or at least it shouldn't be.

Has anyone else experienced this? :confused::confused:

Master Caster
馃枻馃挃馃挋 3 Beautiful OBXTs
I can't remember if I mentioned this...I wonder about the fueling loop? And if restarting resets anything?

I checked that regarding all the FLK a while back. But I haven't been able to view your most recent logs with logviewer...my trials are up.

Did Ed ever offer anything definitive?

Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
Has the car ever been tuned or reflashed (that you know of)?

There are several Wastegate Duty Cycle maps and IIRC, one of them is related to engine coolant temp (the map switching above/below an ECT threshold). This could have been modified in the past for another setup.

Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd Obsidian Black 5MT
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Has the car ever been tuned or reflashed (that you know of)?

There are several Wastegate Duty Cycle maps and IIRC, one of them is related to engine coolant temp (the map switching above/below an ECT threshold). This could have been modified in the past for another setup.
Yes, I am in the midst of getting the car tuned, but Ed hasn't adjusted anything with the wastegate yet. At the base, it's the factory tune.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts